will be getting a standalone soon need input?

"Best" is a relative term. There are several options out there and all can make a quality running car. Some are easier to set up than others; some have more options and/or can handle more extreme engine mods, work better with emissions equipment (have on/off controls for emissions parts), etc.

Big differences between systems:

* "batch" fire or "sequential" fire injectors. Batch is easier to install since it doesn't need as much engine crankshaft or camshaft position sensor info. Sequential though is what almost all modern cars are because it's more effecient than batch fire - better emissions and better MPG.

* Includes ignition system or requires an external ignition module.

* What type of airflow sensor setup it requires: a "mass air" based system like the stock StarQuest that literally measures how much air is going into the engine, or a "MAP" based (Manifold Absolute Pressure) setup that uses engine vacuum/boost info plus RPM info to infer (via table lookups of "maps" - i.e. data tables inside the ECU) the airflow. MAP is far more common but typically takes more effort to tune.

* Type of injector it can drive: low impedance, high impedance, peak-hold, etc.

* Type of sensors it uses. Many are designed to work with readily available General Motors parts.

* Sophistication of the tuning method: can it "auto tune"? Does it require a laptop with a RS232/RS432 serial port - rare these days on new laptops? Is the tuning software "user friendly" or does it expect you to actually know what each term really means like a pro?

Most systems out there can be configured to handle almost any combination... so the major differences boil down to level of tech support, cost, and just how many tuning variables you need/want access too. If you have local Haltech experts, that's a big "+1" for that system.

mike c.

Be prepared to spend LOTS & LOTS of time setting up & tuning. Spend a week reading all the instructions before you start. Here's a link for Megasquirt. You may want to browse through it to see what you're facing.

http://www.megasquirt.info/ms2/

If you have friends that you can rely on to help you to the end, you might want to go with their recommendations. Haltechs are a bit pricey though.

I have MS1 board v2.2 and LOVE it! There are so many upgrades for it. Just today I did the EDIS mod to the board and shift light. The support is great and the price is nice! The new v3 board will do sequential injection also.

The setup is easy to do and Megatune and/or Megatunix is a really nice setup and easy to tune with. One of my favorite features with Megatune is setting "targeted A/F range" (with WB02) and then using the auto tuning.

Shawn

• 3 weeks later...

I'm still learning the HAWK myself, and it stinks that service for it is in Australia, but the tuning abilities are pretty substantial...individual injector control, spark control, and maps that can tune down to 125rpm ranges, which I preferred over the 12 by 12 grids of others. It can run a backup map if you want to use nitrous, and adjusts the maps automatically based on several variables...ambient temps, engine temps, air pressures, etc. etc. It also has a few extra inputs that can be used to control darn near anything.

I look forward to learning more about it. Good luck finding one that will suit you.