MPI whats the difference?

thanks cash

i dont mean to seem "dense" i just like to fully visualize something before i jump in.

i wanted to run EDIS in the near future but locking down the distributer for now would help me learn the process before taking that step.

ill be in contact after the holidays!

I really appreciate all your help and patience!!

monty

Its no biggy. Its a good thing to try out this way first because I have not tested a EDIS system and see that FIP came out with the alum crankpulley with the EDIS wheel on it which is perfect.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MSI with MSNS-e will control fuel and spark.

it has 12x12 tables, but you only have a single fuel and a single spark table, no dual tables.

MSII is faster. 24mhz over 8mhz.

MSII has more ram. 2048k (2mb) ram vs 512k (.5mb) ram.

but as far as I can see, MSNS-e does everything MSII does just less the speed/ram. So MSII will have higher sample rates...

IMO if you arent running a v8+ I think MSNS-e will be fine and save yah some $.

but get the v3.0 mainboard.. you wont regret that!

You are wrong about no dual tables yes it has dual tables infact fuel tables have total of 3 and spark has two when you kick the NOS on or what every option you like to use it for. Yes MSII is faster but you again wrong about MSII does the same as MSI does. Do the research abit more. MSII has less feature than MSI because its too new that they have not tested all the other features but they are working on making a MSnS Extra for the MSII. Y can't you use v8 or more on the MSnS Extra? It has been tested. If I'm not mistaken Parish that has the 1000+HP truck is running the MSnS Extra.

As for some of you wanting the MSII processor, You can change them right now in a couple minutes with couple things to change.

weird, even with nitrous on, I dont have access to a second table? like it doesnt have enough MEMORYfor it. And the only reason I said MSII is superior (like for a v8 ) is the sample rate is higher. I know It WORKS, I'm saying if you need 2 egts, 2 wbo2s and 8cylinders worth of input, MSII is better for that.

for us, average 4cylinder fellas, MSns-e IS better.

Well just found out that MSII has the Extra firmware but doesn't have enough stuff for me for my project but for you guys it should work okay. I have to look into it more but found out that they have it now sweet huh? lol Well hope they have the options for the MSII that I want then I'm gonna use that.

good news. so it will do the same as the MS I MSNS - E V3.0?

i will go with the MSII V - 3.0 then if that is true. im looking for e reliable daily driver hope that will work.

Just remember I have not seen what this firmware looks like and I can't really help too much on it because I myself have not tested it. Only way I will use it is when they come out with a 6 output for spark because I will be controlling 6 coils.

hey button,

I may make a separate post on this, but I wanted to ask if this GM module could be wired in to fire a coil and get rid of the stock plastic black knock box ? This is for a stock ignition 2.6 btw.

I'm experimenting with something

hey button,

I may make a separate post on this, but I wanted to ask if this GM module could be wired in to fire a coil and get rid of the stock plastic black knock box ? This is for a stock ignition 2.6 btw.

I'm experimenting with something

as long as you have control of timing then yes. I like the idea of my MSD PN 8509 because you don't have to deal with the HEI 7 and also going to have to put in 5 volt resistors to make it work. If you willing to pay $80 for the MSD PN8509 to save you ALOT of headache from the HEI 7. But ofcourse you can get the HEI 7 for a very cheap price but also will have to some modifcation to the MS. These is the whole reason Y I came up with the idea for you guys so you don't have to mod anything in the MS.

if you buy the MS unit already assembled, setup for a hall or vr sensor, it will work with the hei7 with no other mods. when you order it, tell them you want to use an hei7 module just to make sure, and there is no problem there.

since I assembled mine myself, i had to do mods.

with the hei7, you wont need a tach adapter, or other ignition modules (msd 6 series for example).

I dont understand why more people dont use this setup for ignition since its so simple and cheap ($27 or less for a new stock, ~$30 for aftermarket).

and yes, it replaces the stock module but you will want timing control.

if you buy the MS unit already assembled, setup for a hall or vr sensor, it will work with the hei7 with no other mods. when you order it, tell them you want to use an hei7 module just to make sure, and there is no problem there.

since I assembled mine myself, i had to do mods.

with the hei7, you wont need a tach adapter, or other ignition modules (msd 6 series for example).

I dont understand why more people dont use this setup for ignition since its so simple and cheap ($27 or less for a new stock, ~$30 for aftermarket).

and yes, it replaces the stock module but you will want timing control.

Well I brought a complete assembled one and it didn't worked at all. You had to install resistors for a 5v pull up. Reason people use msd 6 is because its a stronger spark. I did use the MS VB921 and it was alright but I put a msd 6a on and one thing was start up was alot better and it performed better. As for the input I use MSD PN8509 just hook up 12+ power,ground, dist, and the output to MS input without doing anything inside of the ECU. With the HEI 7 has 7 wires and have to put a relay on it then gotta hook the coil up blah blah. It was starting to give me hassle. Alot of people want a very simple drop in.

i searched the entire MSD site and didnt see a PN 8509

the 8920 tach adapter gets rid of the knock box as well so i guess its safe t say that would work as well

can you link me to a 8509?

edit, i found it... so if i am using the stock distributer and a 8920 adapter with no knock box (msd 6al is used as the igniter) what does the 8509 do and where does it hook to?

Feel free to use my MSD drawing that floating around to explain :)

this is all very good info and im finally getting a clear view of how to wire this stuff.

Monty

the 8920 tach adapter gets rid of the knock box as well so i guess its safe t say that would work as well

Yes I know that MSD said they don't have it listed to but can check it out at summitracing.com http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.a...mp;autoview=sku

Thats is. I don't know y msd didn't have it listed. I was worry that it might not work since I wouldn't have the diagram but I took the chance and it worked perfectly

Yes I know that MSD said they don't have it listed to but can check it out at summitracing.com http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.a...mp;autoview=sku

Thats is. I don't know y msd didn't have it listed. I was worry that it might not work since I wouldn't have the diagram but I took the chance and it worked perfectly

hey cash, i editted my previous post right before yours while you were typing :) take a look brutha

Monty

hey cash, i editted my previous post right before yours while you were typing :) take a look brutha

Monty

If you look in the Sticky on Megasquirt that I posted. I made my own wiring diagram and works flawless just like I have been saying. Only thing I have not even try is the stock tach but I had a autometer so it didn't matter to me. The only special part you need is just the 8509 no other adapter.

Thanks for the info guys.

I'm not after timing control for this particular project, only want to get rid of the unreliable old plastic box.

Reason I ask is I recall reading way back on aussie forum of starions using a GM module 'mod'... I'm wondering if this 'totally different' HEI 4 is the simple inexpensive solution then ?

Could our oe distributor trigger this to fire our coil with a simple hookup ?

Monty

If you look in the Sticky on Megasquirt that I posted. I made my own wiring diagram and works flawless just like I have been saying. Only thing I have not even try is the stock tach but I had a autometer so it didn't matter to me. The only special part you need is just the 8509 no other adapter.

thanks cash..maybe its my background that makes my mind want the "theory" behind what we are doing to go along with a pic. Im just the type that goes over everything on paper before i do it.

thanks and sorry again for all the trouble :)

Monty

cool i read over the functional theory of the 8509 as well, so it converts the magntic pick up (most likely a sign wave) and clips the signal to a square wave the ecu recognizes. The MS most likely needs the exact start and end times (hence the need for a square wave) to trigger the ignition. Where as the stock system fires on the highs and/or lows.

when i do this im going to solder in test points along each path so i can troubleshoot with my o-scope.

cool i read over the functional theory of the 8509 as well, so it converts the magntic pick up (most likely a sign wave) and clips the signal to a square wave the ecu recognizes. The MS most likely needs the exact start and end times (hence the need for a square wave) to trigger the ignition. Where as the stock system fires on the highs and/or lows.

when i do this im going to solder in test points along each path so i can troubleshoot with my o-scope.

Thats even alot better since you have a scope. Thats one of my problem I had because I didn't have that. Maybe you can come up with something better.