NEW Engine PIC page 2!!! Megasquirted Magna MPI

I finally worked all of the bugs out of my megasquirt and she started right up. I love the sound of her running. I missed it. Pics of the car will come soon. I need to tuck all of the wiring away. I would like to thank cashaudio for his help with getting my ignition working with the megasquirt. The setup he put in the megasquirt questions thread works perfect for me. I need to hook up the stock tach, but that is no biggie. Thanks CHAD for the magna intake. I don't know what else to say.... I'm extremely happy!!!! :D :D :D 6 Months of work was well worth it!!!!

Yeah I have a new manifold to put on with a t3 flange and an external wastegate. I want to get a t70, I heard it is a great turbo for mpi. I am only running 55 lb injectors for now, but I will get a set of 72 lbs once the engine gets broken in. I can't belive how fast this thing revs.. It's amazing. I have a lightened flywheel which probably helps. I don't have an air filter for it yet, because the only setup I have is an hks 1g turbo mas canister with foam filter. The picture I have is about a month old with the magna distributor installed. I am using the stock distributor now, so I plan on selling that. I will be clearing out a whole lot of spare parts in the near future.

Here are some pics of what she looks like as of today:

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/2108/dsc00001fk8.th.jpg

http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/6335/dsc00003sb3.th.jpg

http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/6513/dsc00004qn0.th.jpg

http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/9105/dsc00005vf5.th.jpg

http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/6372/dsc00006zu6.th.jpg

I definitely need to clean up the wiring, and I still need to figure out how I'm going to put the megasquirt in the glovebox. Can you tell I like zip ties? They are good for everything. :)

Congrats on getting the car running! Must feel good to see all your hard work finally paying off 8) .

We're having a NorCal SQ meet on Oct 15th (check the StarQuest Meet Planner) and we would love to checkout your car there and hang out.

Think you might be able to swing over?

Later,

Mitchell.

Well I just killed my walbro 255 today so I think that'll set back my tuning on the car till i get another one. The car is still giving me issues and bucking a lot when I'm driving it. I am slowly learning the megatune settings by reading the megamanual over and over.

Just take it easy man and your hard work will pay off, shoot, it's paying off already :lol: !

Feel free to stop by even if your car is not working and get to meet and hang out with other Starquesters in the area.

Later,

Mitchell.

Well I just killed my walbro 255 today so I think that'll set back my tuning on the car till i get another one. The car is still giving me issues and bucking a lot when I'm driving it. I am slowly learning the megatune settings by reading the megamanual over and over.

I just wanted to verified that you did this part, under the configurator did you change the max_spk_dur to 25.50? This is one of the main problem. after this is change then you change the settings on megatune with the dwell duration spark to 25.5 as goes for maximum spark duration in the ignition settings. DO NOT change the dwell settings to 25.50 until you have change the setting in the configurator or you may fry out your VB921 driver.

I didn't change me dwell to 25.5 but I did change the spark duration to 25.5. Is that necessary? I didn't read that in the manual? Won't that heat the hell out of my coil if it is charging for so long? I killed my fuel pump because I had it running off of straight switched 12V and not through a relay or fuse. I was trying to get the thing started and when it did, I should've wired in a relay. I just picked up a realy kit so when I get the new pump I should be fine.

just a question...how would a relay of saved your pump

a relay is a straight feed to power thats turned on and off by a trigger voltage/ground. It is no different than keyed 12v power ( with the exception that you are isolating the circuit when using a relay).

A fuse/ breaker on the other hand is a must... but the only time that would trip is if the pump was over drawing the circuit. So my question is, was your pump over drawing the circuit?

What is the typical current draw for a wahlboro pump?... i think your pump had problems before you did anything.

When you pull out your old pump put it directly on a battery and see if it turns on for a second or two

just a question...how would a relay of saved your pump

a relay is a straight feed to power thats turned on and off by a trigger voltage/ground. It is no different than keyed 12v power ( with the exception that you are isolating the circuit when using a relay).

A fuse/ breaker on the other hand is a must... but the only time that would trip is if the pump was over drawing the circuit. So my question is, was your pump over drawing the circuit?

What is the typical current draw for a wahlboro pump?... i think your pump had problems before you did anything.

When you pull out your old pump put it directly on a battery and see if it turns on for a second or two

I agree with monty

I didn't change me dwell to 25.5 but I did change the spark duration to 25.5. Is that necessary? I didn't read that in the manual? Won't that heat the hell out of my coil if it is charging for so long? I killed my fuel pump because I had it running off of straight switched 12V and not through a relay or fuse. I was trying to get the thing started and when it did, I should've wired in a relay. I just picked up a realy kit so when I get the new pump I should be fine.

Then you didn't read very well from this webpage http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/msd6a.htm

Under the dwell settings:Parameter Value

Maximum Dwell Duration 25.5

To set the dwell to 25.5, you'll have to change one of the megasquirt-II.ini file. Edit the following line:

max_coil_dur = scalar, U08, 4, "ms", 0.10000, 0.00000, 1.00, 8.00, 1 ; * ( 1 byte)

to

max_coil_dur = scalar, U08, 4, "ms", 0.10000, 0.00000, 1.00, 25.50, 1 ; * ( 1 byte)

The only reason you would burn out your coil if you have the coil hooked up directly to MS.

oh my bad...I missed that part. LOL :D I had my pump wired directly to 12V power and it bruned up the pump because the amps and volts were unregulated.

the amps and volts are the same everywhere you pick up power from.

MAYBE, you didnt change the in tank filter? or conical filter?

that would over work a walbro. and cause a lean condition under load causing bucking..

wiring it straight to 12v is FINE and actually recomended. 12v is 12v, IT decides what AMPS it needs by creating a load. more load more amps.

Just a Maybe.

Otherwise, lookin good man!

I read in the megamanual that wiring to switched 12V isn't good for running all the time because in case of an accident if there is a fuel line cut the pump will not shut off on it's own. It's better to have the megasquirt control the pump because the megasquirt kills the pump if there is no rpm signal for 2 seconds.

what they intend for you to do is use that signal wire to triger a relay not actualy power the pump , it may be more likely you burnt out that signal wire in the ecu more then your fuel pump quiteing

that was exactly my point.. i put it at the bottom (probably should of put it at the top)

hook your FP directly to a battery for just a second or two to see if it turns on... not too long, its never good to dry run one.

• 7 months later...

Update...

I just put the t70 turbo and I am in the process of having a full 2.5 inch mandrel bent exahust made custom for the turbo setup. It should be ready by this weekend. All I need is the Innovative LC-1 wideband setup and I'm ready to go! NEW PICS will be added this weekend! I had no problems with the ebay t70 turbo as of yet, but we'll see how it is in a couple thousand miles. I am down for the next norcal meet!

• 2 weeks later...

New Pics with the t-70 turbo installed and running:

http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/5217/img1152cx1.jpg

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/6017/img1155if5.jpg

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/7576/img1153fl3.jpg

It is still a WIP, but it runs pretty good and the LC-1 wideband kit is on the way.