The Magna Strikes Back

meet my apprentice the Darth Magna 8)

http://home.earthlink.net/~antimpower/images/magna/1.jpg

http://home.earthlink.net/~antimpower/images/magna/2.jpg

http://home.earthlink.net/~antimpower/images/magna/3.jpg

I had this idea in the back of my mind for a while and I talked to chad about it, and it turned out he had the same idea and was a step ahead and had a prototype already done. I ended up gettting just a lower portion of the magna and Chad built the new upper plenum.

now its got a lot more volume and more importantly to me, the runners have been shortened a couple of inches.

the fuel rail was also modified by capping the oem pressure regulator and tapping both ends for 3/8 fittings.

Not bad!

I can't tell from the photos: Is the plenum, base, and manifold all one piece welded together or does everything bolt together?

Also, what was done to cap the FPR port? Whatever you guys did it looks really well done.

it's a 2 piece just like a normal magna, but the studs have to come out and are replaced with bolts. The idea was to offer a bolt on replacement for those who already have a magna. I'm undecided if I want to persue making them, too many other projects going on ...

At Arts' request, I just drilled the ends to 9/16", taped to 3/8" NPT, ground the FPR tabs off and welded up the FPR port with a TIG welder. Took about 30 min.

I had this idea in the back of my mind for a while and I talked to chad about it' date=' and it turned out he had the same idea and was a step ahead and had a prototype already done. I ended up gettting just a lower portion of the magna and Chad built the new upper plenum.

now its got a lot more volume and more importantly to me, the runners have been shortened a couple of inches.

I've been thinking about this for a while too, almost as long as I've had my Magna(3 yrs now?). PLEASE give us a report on the results!

Chad: Nice work! Can I ask where you got the trumpets? I have been thinking about milling a slab of 3/4" plate (CNC) into a one-piece adapter, but wouldn't mind a quicker option. Did you bolt the plate down then weld the plenum together?

BTW Art, you might have some clearance issues with the fuel inlet on the fuel rail. I originally had the same 90 fitting but it would be right up on the firewall. I figured with the engine moving, that would be a bad idea. I ended up getting a banjo fitting with bolt and it fit perfect with an inch of room to spare. Just a heads up...

Can I ask where you got the trumpets? I have been thinking about milling a slab of 3/4" plate (CNC) into a one-piece adapter, but wouldn't mind a quicker option. Did you bolt the plate down then weld the plenum together?

I used 3/8 round stock bent around I Jig I made for my own custom intakes. I then bolt the flange to another Jig I have for welding.

CNC would be less fab time, but more $$ in material and a fair amount of CNC time/setup. I don't know exactly how much difference it makes, but the full 270* radius or the ring is probalby slightly better than a 180* milled radius too.

BTW Art, you might have some clearance issues with the fuel inlet on the fuel rail. I originally had the same 90 fitting but it would be right up on the firewall. I figured with the engine moving, that would be a bad idea. I ended up getting a banjo fitting with bolt and it fit perfect with an inch of room to spare. Just a heads up...

yea I was afraid it was sticking out a bit too far. I don't like the flow restrictions of banjos, i maybe to find some other tighter spaced elbow. I have a -8 going in and a -6 coming out.

I am using -6 for the out because I can use standard black rubber 3/8" fuelinjection hose because it looks stock and its easier to bend around.

both the manifold and the fuel rail are powdercoated. I will get started installing it sometime next week.

I was wondering how long it would take someone to do that. The supra guys have been doing it for a while. Nice work Chad. That combo will probably prove to be the best of both worlds. Whats the length of the runners?

Velocity Stacks Own.

Chad is the man.

Not really-when it comes to forced induction, they've been doing flow tests of aftermarket intakes for mkiv supra on Supraforums and the ones without stacks had better/even flow characteristics, Rob NJ.

i don't want to start a velocity stack argument from this, but i'd say that a regular 180* end would be just fine on a flat surface like those, i have seen stacks that protrude out 1-2 inches from where the plenum is welded to the runners, and i could see a full radius coming into play there, but right next to the surface, i would imagine there are some swirly vorticies that could be done without.

nevertheless! I am excited to see it running or at least read about any performance gained.

and they look really neat, so that overcomes any negative aspects i can brew up. :)

• 3 months later...