CARBON FIBER HOOD/AIR DAM/HEADER PANEL **GP INTEREST ONLY**

desert_starion

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
Please DO NOT waste your time making a CF COWL hood for the StarQuest. It's not a Mustang! Lest we forget, it may have been "Imported by Dodge", but it is not an American muscle car and it is a Mitsubishi. And if you have nothing raised up on the engine that would justify a cowl hood, that makes you a POSER. I've seen SO many guys w/ big cowl hoods on their 'Stangs, and nothing going on under it. All show and no go is stupid. Check out my Signiture. The Grand National's got a hood like it does for a reason, b/c of that big a$$ turbo sittin' on top of the motor. Now that's "functional" :!:

cowled hoods are very funtional. it does a very important job of helping the hot engine air escape.

Sorry Fellas, I have not been around and on the forum as my responsibilities have changed over the past three months and I have been very busy with work, I just finished up FIP hurricane conversion and I have been driving around a little bit (about 100 miles so far) (and this process has taken about 9 months to give me results). so pardon me!

but this forum is not for an actual group buy, but it was so gauge the interest of people, as soon as the first set of products are done I will post a new thread.

Thanks

• 1 month later...
cowled hoods are very funtional. it does a very important job of helping the hot engine air escape.

I thought they were called cowl "induction" hoods for a reason. there is a high pressure arear in front of the windsheild on the cowl. so, why not put a backwards scoop to ingest some of that pressurized air?

it really only works if you have a stupid carb mounted in the middle on top of a v8. v8's suck. had to throw that in there.

• 3 months later...

Man, if this starts to churn out hoods, I hope it doesn't go down in a blaze of glory like the last '83 CF hood GP. I mean it has sort of burned out hasn't it? :? That was a shame after all that hard work and time and correspondence. I was sitting back and watching that GP and there was just too much drama and problems with that one for me to just jump in. If things get straightened out, I'll still take one.

Maybe it would be easier, with this one, to just concentrate on a CF '83 hood. If this goes anywhere, I very likely, will buy one, 'cause I think with my car being Viper blue now, it would look pretty sweet with a CF '83 hood.

Do yourself a favor and try to make sure you have all the logistics worked out before you accept any money from folks.

Guys, don't get pissed but every time I think of cowl hoods I think of a good ol' Mustang. They don't look bad on a StarQuest but the '83 hood looks so much better! I mean it is a Japanese car.

I think this is starting to turn into the same thing as the DOHC threads. lots of talk but nothing happens and I think most people are simply tired of it. The person to talk to would be Gary since he has made a cowl hood out of fiberglass and has the molds. It wouldnt be too hard to make a cowl out of CF but its up to him if he wants it done.

LOL... Gary would be the last person you should ask about carbon fiber anything.. :wink: Trust me, he will have nothing to do with it. Gary might have the molds, but he didn't make anything personally..

"Lots of talk, but nothing happens." As my own personal experience here would reflect, I would say: "Lots of talk, plenty of parts able to be made, yet loudmouth members hamper production." There's no courtesy here. Someone offers a product here, some members decide to bad mouth the part(s) as if their opinion is the only one. That's why I personally could care less now. I'll do my own thing, share what i've done with friends and that's it.

In my opinion, screw a cowl hood, and screw a 83 style aswell.. I'm working on a different design right now, and will be going at it harder when my flush mount CF headlights are done.. The hood will be just like my headlights, a one off part.. i'm using quality parts, hella high beams, BMW/Audi HID low beams, CCFL angel eyes.. Most people here won't spend the $900 just in lighting equipment like I have, not to mention the cost of the flushmount carbon housings.. Like my header panel, rear diffuser, tail lights, interior pieces etc... All CF, and all one off parts.

I'm not sure anyone besides myself has been making carbon parts for the SQ. Due to the lack of interest, I can't justify spending loads of cash just for molds for SQ specific parts. There's no reason for me to make molds just for my parts either.. Not to mention the huge CF shortage that hit in late feb., it's seriously a chore to get ahold of the needed CF cloth.. You're either going to get a few yards at a time, or full rolls(100yds)... Damn aerospace and DoD, hoggin all the carbon.. :lol:

Just like ANY other car, CF parts can be made.. WE just don't have the numbers to see it through. I have a couple contacts, but the foul taste left over from the other CF 83 hood GP makes me keep my mouth shut more often lately. So, i'm left to create my own parts.. :?

I have a couple contacts, but the foul taste left over from the other CF 83 hood GP makes me keep my mouth shut more often lately. So, i'm left to create my own parts.. :?

Hmm - my input? I say you go ahead, MAKE the hood and stuff to how you like it ( maybe make an 83 hood as well for your car just to have it ). I'm pretty sure because its for your own personal taste and useage, that it'd be premium quality. Then if you FEEL like it, I could see a group purchase being made, but you know, AFTER the product has actually been made and tested by a member. Yeah, not everyone is going to like what it is, some people will be cranky, but everyone has their own tastes, and to me, something is better than nothing. I say go for it, create your own parts, then slowly start selling a few more ( and not create some big CF 83 GP - kinda a hey check out this hood thread that I made for my car, if anyone wants one too just send me a PM type of deal ) that way you can keep out the naysayers and the like. I dunno, random rambling moment :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I might be interested in a composite airdam... I'd def. be interested in an actual cf spoiler (not one the covers the existing but replaces it). :twisted: