dyno run on new MPI

7 degrees final timing. 7 degrees was all I could run at the higher boost without ping and this was **VERY** close to the bleeding edge, the dyno guys were really nervous because I only backed it off 2 degrees from nasty detonation and was running 13:1. 8) Keep in mind I have no real clue what the actual Comp Ratio is, I'm just guessing.

It actually drives nicer with 12-15deg and and 15 psi but I knew the numbers were higher trading off more boost so I did that.

mike the cam is one of kelly's, can't remember which one, the big one I guess.

the turbo has a 3" inlet and the larger exhaust turbine, prolly nothing like a regular 20g, it's 750CFM with the smaller exhaust wheel, I think a 20g/06 is like 650? It was a big risk in my mind when FP talked me into it but I'm glad now.

The other thing to keep in mind is I made 250+ with TBI and upgraded to a lot more fuel, manifold flow, and intercooler plumbing. It was an expensive 75 horsepower.

Kev, I remember checking a while back with Otis at midwest and he told me that wiseco flat tops were actuall 8:2.3 on our cars and 8:5.1 were actually domed. so if you have flat tops you have somewhere under 8:5 from what Otis told me. Hope that helps you. 92 :shock: octane!!! Man I would play with a little water/meth inj like was previously said. Actually there more to get outta that motor if you roll on one of shauns cam gears. I bet you could squeeze out atleast another 10-20hp with one!

mike the cam is one of kelly's, can't remember which one, the big one I guess.

the turbo has a 3" inlet and the larger exhaust turbine, prolly nothing like a regular 20g, it's 750CFM with the smaller exhaust wheel, I think a 20g/06 is like 650? It was a big risk in my mind when FP talked me into it but I'm glad now.

The other thing to keep in mind is I made 250+ with TBI and upgraded to a lot more fuel, manifold flow, and intercooler plumbing. It was an expensive 75 horsepower.

I used to run that green turbo...that's also what Heefner is running.

Weird thing is I made as much torque as you but only put down 259 RWHP on that same turbo. Those MPI dyno runs I have up were on that same turbo combo as yours...

isn't the 'green' a 50 trim compressor, a.k.a. "the pump gas king" ?

Street DSMs have gone 11.5-11.8 et, and done ~400hp using it.... so there's more left in that turbo.

Folks say you can't compare one motor to the other, but I disagree.

Once you get a 2.6 past what chokes 'em, you'll see the turbos get max hp numbers out as others have. Only difference will be how fast they spin up and 2.6 will make more tq everywhere.

Surprised to see 7 timing don't send EGTs thru the roof as well as kill the tq.

Heefs' "pump gas" numbers 'should' be similar, had he run on a dynojet.

Those mitsu hybrid are proven, so it ain't the turbo

Once you get a 2.6 past what chokes 'em, you'll see the turbos get max hp numbers out as others have. Only difference will be how fast they spin up and 2.6 will make more tq everywhere.

The problem is the head, thats the last piece of the puzzel as far as restrictions. DSM will make 300whp on a 16 G, I don't think we will ever see that out of a 2.6 SOHC.

Kev you were running 13.1 AFR for the whole rpm range. That sounds prettey lean. You may be able to squeeze a little more timming if you can fatten it up a little on the top end. I'd like to see 12.5 to 1 once you start making full boost. Running lean will make more power due to the extra heat, but it will also melt you pistons. :wink:

The problem is the head, thats the last piece of the puzzel as far as restrictions. DSM will make 300whp on a 16 G, I don't think we will ever see that out of a 2.6 SOHC.

BINGO!

A DSM head STOCK will outflow a FULLY RACE ported 2.6L head. Then imagine a DSM head with a good port..it's mad nutz...

isn't the 'green' a 50 trim compressor, a.k.a. "the pump gas king" ?

Street DSMs have gone 11.5-11.8 et, and done ~400hp using it.... so there's more left in that turbo.

Folks say you can't compare one motor to the other, but I disagree.

Surprised to see 7 timing don't send EGTs thru the roof as well as kill the tq.

Heefs' "pump gas" numbers 'should' be similar, had he run on a dynojet.

Those mitsu hybrid are proven, so it ain't the turbo

The 50 trim is the 'frank jr' as far as I know.

The actual Frank AKA Green is a 735 CFM Garrett T4 60 trim.

I'm surprised on that final timing too..that would really concern me real real bad.

DSM making 300hp from a 16G do it with ~24-26psi on race gas and timing ~22-24° at full boost (quality tuned by mitsu ecu)

Never seen anybody push a 16g 2.6 even close to that, eh

Headflow is only a small part of the overall picture imo. I've seen no 4g63 run anything like Franks puny 12A or Tainter's 15psi 60-1 ETs.

These motors have alot of potential bottle'd up in 'em.

First post above is off to a darn good start

who ported the head ?

The head porting was expensive, almost $800.00, a guy in the mid west mike recommended, but I felt like I got kind of a raw deal on the price, so I wouldn't recommend personally (nothing against mike) I got almost the same flow numbers as Mike did (210ish?)

DSM making 300hp from a 16G do it with ~24-26psi on race gas and timing ~22-24° at full boost (quality tuned by mitsu ecu)

Never seen anybody push a 16g 2.6 even close to that, eh

Headflow is only a small part of the overall picture imo. I've seen no 4g63 run anything like Franks puny 12A or Tainter's 15psi 60-1 ETs.

These motors have alot of potential bottle'd up in 'em.

First post above is off to a darn good start

who ported the head ?

Ya my machinist ported his head. Mine came close to $800 too after everything was said and done...and I dont feel like I got a raw deal at all. I think I got one hell of a ported 2V head personally.

You get what you pay for though. And look what he got....which makes me happy cuz that port is defienetely getting the job done.

It'd be interesting to see how much that HP number drops off if you threw a stuck Marnal head on that motor and did another dyno run.

Would be interesting...I think that the entire characteristics of the motor would change, drastically and negatively.

I can tell you first hand just how well these guys port heads... ;)

Ya, Mikes' a good guy.. he'll only try to hook ya up

I'm guessing porting prices vary according to client and region. South Fl has a live import racing community, so I can't see porting costin' half that.

More options are the other ported head 2.6 beasts about this forum.

I can't see "the science" being any more difficult than paying for one quality port job, dyno the gains vs stock head and duplicate it if ya wanted to :)

Back to back testing of ANY one particular item is what this community lacks more than anything. Thats why its hard to see what works from what doesn't and results are scattered. You don't have to "guess" with a dsm or 2.3 ford, etc.... thats why they're way faster

The quality of work is fantastic - and absolutely Mike did nothing wrong in my eyes, I greatly appreciate the reference. My experience was probably just a fluke and had the shop set appropriate expectations around price and timeframe I would be pimping their work all over the boards. But, that's not what happened in my case, so there you have it. I'm a tough customer.

• 7 months later...
as for science - paint by numbers will never happen on the 2.6, it's a niche market. That's why I like it.

I know this is 6 or 7 months old but I need to chime in here on a couple of things. I think it is too important that we have data like this to brush it off and assume we'll never get it. I guess you're talking about the kind of testing that businesses can do when they're doing it to market a product to a huge client base. So yeah I suppose we may never have that. I've seen more stuff popping for sale for us lately than I ever thought possible though so who knows? I for one plan to drive starquests forever, and I also plan to be very wealthy. The truth is that's beside the point though. The possibilities are honestly limitless when you assemble the efforts of thousands. So a test we want done costs $10k. What's that come to about $4 per active member? I mean, I know it'll take some time, and I know at this point there aren't nearly enough of us trying to pass 300hp that would be interested in donating for something like that, but I also know it's possible. Especially if you combine the contributions of one or two "main contributors" who might benefit directly with the contributions of a few secondary contributors who only benefit from the data collection. I think we'll see this kind of thing happen in the future.

as for science - paint by numbers will never happen on the 2.6, it's a niche market. That's why I like it.

I know this is 6 or 7 months old but I need to chime in here on a couple of things. I think it is too important that we have data like this to brush it off and assume we'll never get it. I guess you're talking about the kind of testing that businesses can do when they're doing it to market a product to a huge client base. So yeah I suppose we may never have that. I've seen more stuff popping for sale for us lately than I ever thought possible though so who knows? I for one plan to drive starquests forever, and I also plan to be very wealthy. The truth is that's beside the point though. The possibilities are honestly limitless when you assemble the efforts of thousands. So a test we want done costs $10k. What's that come to about $4 per active member? I mean, I know it'll take some time, and I know at this point there aren't nearly enough of us trying to pass 300hp that would be interested in donating for something like that, but I also know it's possible. Especially if you combine the contributions of one or two "main contributors" who might benefit directly with the contributions of a few secondary contributors who only benefit from the data collection. I think we'll see this kind of thing happen in the future.

Ditto.

more or less. I had the work done by Miami International Turbo. I think. It was the same place that Boosted_One recomended. Its the 20G compressor with a garret comp wheel and the TD05 exhaust housing machined out to accept the TD06 exhaust wheel. Didn't I send the paper work with it?