Let's build a MOTOR.....Pics.

Professor Quest

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Throw all the parts in a coffee can or parts cleaner and let them soak. I parked the head in the "Berryman Chem Dip" and flip it once in a while. One spark plug already came out! ;D A few hours later........number two was in the trash. ;) That "Berryman" is some BAD STUFF. :o

Slide one of the rockers to the side........this is an oil port that feeds the rocker.......that feeds the LIFTER. As you can see.....then fill with CRUDE.

Okay, this post refers to the picture above the original post from this quote.

That is not the hole that feeds oil to the lifter. We have to be careful in describing the lifter feed hole, because some early shafts don't have it. We lucked out with that pic though. In the pick, you can see on the bottom part of the shaft, a cut-out/slot cut sideways in the shaft. That slot contains a small hole, not visible in the picture. That hole is the lifter oil feed hole. The early/mechanical rocker only shafts, do not have that cross-cut/sideways slot in them, and can not feed oil to a hydraulic lifter.

The hole shown in the picture is on all shafts, early/late, doesn't matter, and it only lubricates the rocker turning on the shaft, not the lifter. If you investigate, you will see the other hole lines up perfectly with the hole in the inner diameter of the rocker, and it shoots pressurized oil to the lifter.

Also, as the professor knows, and probably mentioned, exhaust rockers have an extra oiling hole to oil the cam lobe, whereas intake rockers do not have that hole. So, if you elim the JV's like we all do, you can use all exhaust rockers for a little extra oil to the intake cam lobes, as well as the exhaust cam lobes. Very small hole in the rocker that shoots oil directly on the cam lobe. Easy to miss if you're not looking for it, but very obvious if you look.

Hey tim , questions about your last post.

1: Do mechanical only heads( aka caravan) have this lifter oiler (on the exhaust side?)

2: Can I use a exhaust rockers on my intake side to get this oil feed on all my cam lobes?  sounds like free reliability to me..

Thanks.

I think most guys just see the crack at the top. But the guy who fixes these told me they run REAL DEEP. He ain't kidding! :o  As you can see in the following pics......the crack runs down BOTH PORTS.

I guess they wanted to DIRECT the JET.