Let's build a MOTOR.....Pics.

Professor Quest

The red Xs indicate where the rear main oil seal rides. If polishing it won't cut-it, then it will need welded and reground. Note the dowel pin in the 88 crank. Unfortunately Mitsu parts CD has the wrong dowel pin number and size. It list it as an 8mm. It's 10mm.  ::)

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Professor,

I've never seen fillets like that before what do you think caused that skip in the radius ? Is that a virgin crankshaft ?  ;D

You know those cranks are gigantic in comparison to other Mitsu cranks...

Standing a crank on end is the best way store them (if your not prone to knocking things over) Just sit them in an out of the way corner of your work area so you don't trip on them. The weight of the crank itself lying on it's side without proper support under the mains can by itself bend a crank. I agree knocking them over doesn't do them any good either.

This MAIN BOLT started to lock up. It should screw ALL the way down until the threads recess into the block WITH YOUR FINGERS.  And I was having such a nice day. ::) Hard to tell in the pic but the threads are damaged. I know that's a little out of focus.........but trust me........there is some IRON from the threads GROUND into the bolt. If I had tried to run that bolt all the way down...........I'd be HELICOILING the BLOCK. ::) This is at least TWICE I have encounterd this on 2.6 engines! Those of little faith about tapping the main holes when there is no reason........will see what happens when I "dial indicate" the threads in the block. ;)

Time to get an idea of what the bearing clearance is. This is  GREEN "PLASTIGAGE". It measures bearing clearance from .001 to .003 Install the old bearings to do this. Place the PASTIGAGE on all 5 mains just like in the picture. DO NOT ROTATE THE CRANK. A few drops of oil on the threads and under the head. Follow the procedure for TORQUING DOWN THE CRANK on page 9-65. Draw down the caps SLOWLY........remember the caps need to ALIGN THEMSELFS IN THE BLOCK as you draw down the bolts. Alternate tightening the bolts a little at a time so the cap pulls down STRAIGHT. Then torque to 10lbs.......then 20lbs.... then 30lbs....then 40lbs and finally......55lbs. Now SLOWLY take it back apart and read the PLASTIGAGE.