Started the body mods on my wife's 87 *UPDATED*

Burton

Hope to have all the bodywork done and have the car in primer by PF05. its going over to the Tainter's sometime this spring. It won't be near as fast as my 89, but if it was Kate just might wreck it ;D

Anyway, it won't be all the way done, but far enough for everybody to get the idea. The interior will also be far from finished. New console should be built by then but being as how the audio/video equipment I want to get will probably be up around $5k, I doubt it will be making too much noise.

Not sure if I'll have both cars in PF, but my plan is to bring the 87 in primer to PF, then in the fall I will bring both cars to the TX meet- hopefully debuting the new paint on the 87.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have thought about that, but I think it would hinder another plan I have.

I want to shave the gas door and put the filler behind the plate. I think there may be some modifacation in that area too, but I will wait until I see what kind of space I need for the new filler location behind the plate.

mark,   ive got to tell you, one body man to another-im impressed.

im not too keen on the taillight mod but thats just my thoughts.  the front of the car now is another story.  i think i might have left the marker lights in the corners of the grille just to break up the front end but it does look good.   nah man, its killer.

i was looking for something very much like this but just hadnt spotted what i wanted, i think you found it and i might have to be a copycat i like it so much.

somewhere in one of your post i read you wanted to shave the door handles and you mentioned it might be pretty difficult.  ive never done it on a sq but ive done it on most any type of compact car you can think of and i have done every import truck thats out there.  a door is a door and none of them are difficult once you figure out the easiest way to do it.  the hardest part is welding in a plate to fill the handle recess.   take it from my years of experience,   dont just spot weld the plates in, go ahead and weld solid around the plates.   i used to just simply tack them in about 1/2" apart all the way around, but lately ive been noticing a few craciks showing up in some that have been done for several years.  it appears the doors take more vibration  being shut repeatedly than you would really think.  since i have seen these cracks appearing i have started welding every thing  100%.  doesnt leave the possibility for anything to flex and crack.

keep up the good work.

ah man i had that idea about the 1pc license/light thing years ago damn! your doing an awesome job burton. I cant wait to see it come out done...great work!

header panel is awesome too. I played around with photoshop with the idea of molding the rear vents in...didnt know what to think of it.  ???

jeff

• 1 month later...

I really appreciate all the nice compliments.

I am wondering too how the side marker area will turn out. I may just end up putting a small LED in there to take the place. Maybe even 2 small ones- one for park lights, one for blinker.

I have been moving right along trying to get some stuff done. Finished up the airdam/bumper for the most part. I still have a little more tweaking- especially getting the radii on the IC openeng symetrical on both sides. I will be blocking it down one more time and finding the goofy areas to fix, but it should be ready for the car after the next coat of filler.

Here's a few pics:

After hacking it apart:

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wODM0MjM5NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE=.jpg

after the first bit of fiberglassing:

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wODM0MjQwNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE=.jpg

After fiberglassing and FG filling the airdam:

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wODM0MjQxNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE=.jpg

Then how it stands now:

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wODM0MjI2NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE=.jpg

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wODM0MjI3NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE=.jpg

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wODM0MjI4NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE=.jpg

Like I said, it still needs a bit of work, but you get the idea. I'm sure I'll be tewaking all the work I've already done right up to the point that I'm color sanding the whole car preparing for paint.

I have WAY more pics of the whole process, but will be saving them and the in-depth write-up of the entire project for the SQ magazine. I will be writing detailed articles of all the stuff I've been doing to this car.

Unfortunately tho, I will be taking some time off from this car to get my 89 going for spring so it will sit on the back burner for now.

Also in one of the last pics you can see one of the 2 FG cowl hoods I recently got from Gary. One will be finding their way onto each car.

Thanks for looking!

That's f%$^#@ ill bro!  I don't know what ya mean about more work needed, maybe a little bit of sanding and then paint.. But that's it.. ???   That cowl hood is absolutely T--I--T--S!  Big t--i--t--s! ;D

Thank you very much!

It does look pretty good as it sits now, but I'm toojz to let it slide like it is. If I don't get it right now I'll REALLY notice it once its got paint on it.

I'm lovin the cowl hoods. I think I will be finishing off one of em soon to go on my 89. Then I'll touch up a couple of areas and repaint it, as I wasn't real happy how it turned out last year. I think I'm gonna go blue this time.

Hopefully I will have all that stuff and my suspension all swapped on my 89 by the end of April. Then I'll be able to put all my spare time back into the wife's 87 and try to get the body banged out by early summer. Not sure what project to do on the 87 next. I'm kinda feeling like getting started hacking the dash and console apart, but I'm also itchin' to get the B-pillar vents molded in. Of course that might change if I can find some rust free 1/4s from someone that I can make patches out of.

That reminds me- anyone got any rust free 1/4 panels on a parts car they aren't gonna use? I need pretty much the whole front half of the passenger 1/4, and just the lower front area of the driver's 1/4 panel. Don't need all the spot welds drilled out or anything like that- just need em hacked off with a cutoff wheel or something. PM me if you can help.

Thanks again, guys.

that looks good i cant wait to see it all on the car and painted. the header panel kind of reminds me of a 89 daytona

I agree. I also think the new tail light panel resembles the older 84-86 Daytonas. They had the same lines across the tail lights as well.

Looks awesome Burton!!!

You make me wanna start trying this stuff. I feel like I have a creative mind without the hands to match :-[

Turborusty

That reminds me- anyone got any rust free 1/4 panels on a parts car they aren't gonna use? I need pretty much the whole front half of the passenger 1/4, and just the lower front area of the driver's 1/4 panel. Don't need all the spot welds drilled out or anything like that- just need em hacked off with a cutoff wheel or something. PM me if you can help.

I posted this once before on the BS forum.

http://rustbusters.com

I am really curious about this process as my '88 could use it on the rear quarters also. Being a body guy, have you heard anything about this, good or bad?

dude that is insane. deifnately ther best body mod ive seen on a quest. and the 1 piece bumper to airdam is incredible looking. it looks as if its completely stock looking by the quality of it. its too bad it has to be green, but if its her car ur better of painting it wat she wants. but once again. our home made body work is 10X better then a civic body kit any day (looks and quality). i find that crazy

Hmmm, Never before heard of that spray on stuff. Have no clue how well it works, but I am intruiged.

Turborusty. Having an artistic mind would help you imensley. I am mechanicly inclined but I bet my creativity helps more with body work. You wanna do it yourself? Its not hard once you have the knowledge and a little practice. Best advice I can give you is one of 2 options:

----Go to a big bookstore or online and try to find a college level AB(autobody) textbook. Go find a crappy fender or hood to practice on. Buy any AB tools you need at Harbor Freight- sure down the road a bit they may break, but by then you will know if AB is something you enjoy enough to be worth paying more for tools to last a lifetime. Take your book and tools and practice, practice, practice. Once you feel comfortable on your practice panel, do it to your car. If you take this route and ever have any questions, PM me and I can try to give pointers and advice.

----Check to see if any of the tech/communty college/continuing ed. schools offer classes to the general public. I went to a "skills center" in highschool for it. It was part of a co-op with school. I spent the first three hours of every school day my junior and senior year going to it. That "skill center" also offered continuing ed. courses to the public at night. Not sure what the tuition costs are but I bet they're less than $500 (probably more like $300). The cool thing- An instructor teaches you how to do everything and you can work on your own car. Oh, yeah, and alot of times you pay cost for all your parts, paint and other suplies. Tools typicaly are provided at the school too. I know some colleges offer it too. I went to college for AB too and they had night classes for it as well.

Don't be afraid of it. AB work is easier than most people think. As long as you know the steps and have a vision its really hard to mess up.

Thanks alot Burton!

I think I will add a couple of classes to my roster now as I will be starting back to college in the fall.

Your advice of starting on old parts is awesome. I have a stock hood that needs a little attention and needs the scoop molded on so I guess that would be my first guinea pig......

I'm sure I will be hitting you up for more advice as I delve into it also.

thanks again,

Turborusty

I wonder if I would get my a** kicked if I made my Quest look like a Ferrari F40?

Turborusty

Quite possibly, but I'd give ya props. All those threads about the f40 lookin quest and that NSX in Japan that was made to look like it had people all pissed off. In my eyes, those guys were artists- it took SKILLZZZZ to do that.

The way I see it--- Its your car, make it look exactly how you want. If people don't like it, thats fine- they don't have to drive it. Anyone who knows the work it took to do it will be impresssed wether they like the idea or not.

• 1 month later...
hey man i really like what u did to the front grill peices i thought about doing somthing like that but i havent desided what to do yet. but i am going to do the same thing with the air dam and mold it to the bumber. i have been planing on doing that for a while i just need a little time to do it.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, this project has kinda been put on the back burner for now, but I did get the front bumper half --------------- on the car so it looked kinda whole for the meet we had last weekend. It really makes that thing look tough with the bigger IC opening, added vents AND cowl hood. And before you start going off about the gap between the bumper and grille, its there because evertyhing is not bolted up right yet. Like I said I threw it on quick to make it look halfay decent for the meet. I still have to take it off a couple more times before final fitment.

http://www.26liter.us/gallery/albums/userpics/10087/DSCF0091.JPG

http://www.26liter.us/gallery/albums/userpics/10087/DSCF0090.JPG

Man I'm gonna have to make this thing faster than I had planned. Its gonna need a strong motor to back up the agressive look.

Don't worry. Although this project has sat idle, it will be getting done. I'll be busy as hell for the next 3 months or so but after that I'll get crackin on it. Still plan to have all the bodywork done by the time the years over along with the motor stuff. That will give me all winter to do the interior and tidy up any other finishing the body needs before paint next spring.

Thanks for looking

mods look awesome.  Is there any reason why the vents in the header pannle are not centered?  I was just curious if it was asthetics or a structural issue.

Structural for 2 reasons- one of course is the rigidity of it closer to the top will allow it to have no possibility of cracking from flexing. Also, had they been mounted any lower it would involve removal or major modifacation of the factory structural braces on the backside of the panel.

As a fluke, once it was all together I realized that had I put the vents more centered in the panel, I think they would have been way to close to the similar shaped vents in the grille.

• 3 months later...

All the family crap is done for the summer now... are you gonna get this put together before next driving season? After all, it was your wedding gift to me... We've been married over a year now, sucka!

All I need is a functional drive train and a coat of paint. Hell, I pay most of the bills anyway, get your butt in gear!

All the family crap is done for the summer now... are you gonna get this put together before next driving season? After all, it was your wedding gift to me... We've been married over a year now, sucka!

All I need is a functional drive train and a coat of paint. Hell, I pay most of the bills anyway, get your butt in gear!

:shock: :shock:

Oh s***.........OWN3D!!!! :twisted:

Haha, you've got a cool wifey. 8)