great ride... is it possible???

Guest castmem

I know i'm gonna get ripped a new one for asking this, but is there a way to make our cars ride like a dream? I mean lets be honest, most of our cars suspension is super ridgid and makes it not very nice to ride in. What would be needed to make our cars feel like say an 93 camry.... super smooth, hardly feel a bump?? My car is a daily driver and never sees the track or hard cornering ever! So this would definatly help.... any suggestions?? Thanks in advance.

-Dustin

Dustin

Assuming your car is stock, the ride quality you are looking for I dont think is possible. You could try a little taller sidewall tire for starters! Stay away from urethane bushings, coil over kits, lowering springs, gas charged struts or larger anti-roll bars as they will all enhance performance handling and take away from the ride quality. Actually, I think you may have aquired the wrong car for Camry ride characteristics ;D ;D ;D

Mark

lol... naw, just wondering if it could be done. About the only people who complain about the ride quality is my passengers. I drive the car daily so I'm fairly used to it... I know something that'll help a bit is getting some decent tires that don't turn to rocks with wear. so far I still have the tires on it from when i bought the car and they are a combo of BFG's with continentals i think is the brand could be wrong.... after all i'm a bit wore out and remembering tire brand names is not exactly on the top of my list for remembering.... anywho the tires on there now are seriously wore and need replacing soon. This time since the decision is in my hands i might go with some nice kumho's or yokohama's... any suggestions?

-Dustin

you sure can!

step one: pull yoru quest into the driveway and get ready to address the problem...

step two:  open the hood and pull the radiator cap off the quest....

step three: put quest in "N" and push out of the way.

step four: pull a 1972 caddy el doe in and put starion radiator cap on it.

FINISHED! now your sheezy rides like a dream....

the point: you want a dreamy ride, buy a buick or caddy....it's a sports car jeeeezzzz.

Yellow_quest

Guest castmem

Ok yellow_Quest, No need to get your boxers in a ruffle... lol j/k. I was just asking cause certain family members at my house hate the ride qualty. SCREW THEM! It's my car and I want to actually get a better performance setup in there like an auto-x setup. Unfortunatly it'll have to wait for awhile  :-/ Oh well..... Any Ideas towards a really nice and stiff suspension setup?

-Dustin

• 3 weeks later...

i dont know about the later years but my 84 rides like a dream. very soft at cruising speeds with the gas charged suspension.  its softer then the widebodies.   you still feel bumps but its nice.  i think more ground clearance too. not a lot of body roll in the turns either.  i tell you what, i will trade you my 15's, small sway bars, shocks, strusts worn bushings and you trade me all your wide body 5 lug stuff and larger sway bars etc, id really be doing you a favor;)

hehe

Guest castmem

lol... that's funny... Naw man. like i keep saying, i'm cool with the ride quality and infact i'd like to make it much stiffer and more setup towards an autocross style suspension setup. I like to drive and go into corners with speed and know the car can take it easily. later.

-Dustin

i would say all new bushings,low tire pessure ,soft sidewall tires,and a set of factory 8 way shocks set on "1" all the way around.

s/g

lowering your tire pressure is the last thing you want to do, they get hot and fail fast.  how do you think ford exploders roll over? if you said bad drivers, your right, but they over react to tires blowing out from underinflation.

BTW: i was going 80 down the interstate and my left rear valve stem popped halfway out. i heard a hissing, but didn't even notice a difference in how it drove, except when i tried turning it a bit, it felt mushy.

so, even with no air pressure, the car is sporty!

lowering your tire pressure is the last thing you want to do, they get hot and fail fast.  how do you think ford exploders roll over? if you said bad drivers, your right, but they over react to tires blowing out from underinflation.

so, even with no air pressure, the car is sporty!

not completly true a typical speed rated tire has a inflation range od 35-52 psi.

at 35 psi you will ride smoother than 44 or 52 psi....

i am not talking about 20 psi or something crazy like that.

well actually ya go 20 psi if you go down to the coast and drive on the sand :D

s/g

check the inside door jam on the driver side to see the lowest possible pressure for the tires on that specific style car.  The manufacturer sticker in the door recommends the best possible tire pressure for that car's performance, not necessarily just the tire specifications.  If your family members ride with you, keep them safe as these cars are very unpredictable. I've had mine for only 2 months and it's like a brand new baby... everyday is something new.

btw.... buy a 93 camry  ;D