Replacing all struts...what do I need...

I'm planning to go with Blues at all four corners. This will be the first time the suspension on this particular car has been touched.

What do I need besides four struts (two front, two rear)? I'm trying to get a parts inventory.

Thanks,

Jess

Strut Isolators(front Pair), Bushings...Swaybar bushings, while your under there might as well check out that crap stock tranny mount, and those old a** Motot mounts....other then bushings, and front strut isolators there aint too much else you need...

not many others will chime in here, I left a post asking the same thing about 2 weeks ago...and all i got was crickets....

Yellow_quest

Front strut inserts & Rear struts (KYB or Tokico)  BTW there was a big discussion about putting oil back into the front struts with the aftermarket inserts.  I asked a KYB Tech and he said oil is not needed with thier insert.  Just pour the old oil out and drop the insert in.

New struts boots - tirerack.com - KYB brand - very important...especially if yours are raggedy.

Front & Rear Insulators @ the dealer, napa, & other parts warehouses.  More so the front than rear if cash is a factor.

Other than that I would consider getting new springs if they have some mileage on them while you are doing the work.

Here is a completely redone rear strut - everything new except for the top hat under the insulator..  The boot has some gunk I did not clean off of it but it is new also, Chip says use alcohol and wipe it off, I did it on the other one and it cleaned it up nice.

http://www.26liter.us/bluequest/pictures/1206025.jpg

http://www.26liter.us/bluequest/pictures/1206026.jpg

Thanks for the replies...which of course, lead to other questions. (G)

You say I would need new rear struts, and new front strut inserts? In other words, you're advising me to NOT purchase new front struts? I'm not clear on what an insert is...

I hate to say money isn't an object, because it always ends up being to some degree, but paint, stereo and suspension work are the last three things standing between where the car is now and a fully restored Starion -- so I've got it budgeted to do it right. I don't need to cut many corners.

If you could put forth a guess as to how much this is going to cost, I'd also appreciate it.

Jess

I may be wrong, but I don't think anyone makes a "replacement strut " for our cars.  The cartridge / insert comes out by taking the gland nut off the top of the strut.  the cartridge is simply a strut that fits inside the stock housing. You pull the old cartridge out and replace it with the new insert and gland nut and your all done.  

• 2 weeks later...
I may be wrong, but I don't think anyone makes a "replacement strut " for our cars.  The cartridge / insert comes out by taking the gland nut off the top of the strut.  the cartridge is simply a strut that fits inside the stock housing. You pull the old cartridge out and replace it with the new insert and gland nut and your all done.  

I need to do this to my front struts too...how does the actual procedure work?  Do I need to compress the spring and take the entire strut apart to do this or can I just unbolt the strut from the tower and do all the work while the strut is still half on the car?

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

i anwsered a post in the stuff needed forum...thought they would be of some use here as well

here are the part #'s for the front end parts (good to know part as well) Maybe a moderator could pin these(maybe in the suspension forum) so everyone knows there here.  

MOOG  

1)front upper strut mounts ...................#k9721  

2)lower control arm bushing kit.............#k9181  

3)strut rod bushing kit...........................#k9887  

4)idler arm bushing kit (press in yours).#k9100  

5)rear upper strut mount......................#k9694  

MOOG Tie rod ends  

1)drivers side outer..............................#es3005RL (same on both sides)  

2)drivers side inner..............................#es2197R  

3)drivers side sleeve............................#es2244s  

4)pass. side outer................................#es3005RL (look at #1)  

5)pass. side inner.................................#es2428R  

MOOG flat side tie rod ends  

1)drivers side inner..............................#es2197R (same as wide bodies)  

2)drivers side outer..............................#es2194R  

3)pass. side inner................................#es2428R (same as wide bodies)  

4)pass. side outer................................#es2194R  

BECK ARNLEY  

1) sway bar bushing kit front................#101-3926  

2)sway bar bushing kit rear..................#101-4263  

useful #'s to know  

Beck Arnley  

1)clutch master cylinder.........................#072-8463  

2)rebuild kit for above (with piston).......#071-7437  

3)clutch slave cylinder............................#072-8456  

4)rebuild kit for above(with piston)........#071-7481  

Standard ignition  

1) 89 ECU (very expensive...but a good last resort&warranted)........EM5297  

Ready RAD / Ready Aire  

1) radiator(new)........................#43 3086  

NOTE: All of these parts have been put on my car (except for the flat side stuff and radiator) in the last 2 months....if you are pulling it apart and can afford it change it all at once, if you are changing your struts take the extra 10 minutes and change the ball joints (if they break your in deep poop) if your car is lowered you have changed your suspension geometry and your ball joints are under more stress.  

Hope this works out guys  

Monty    

• 2 years later...
now keep in mind this is a shp suspension.....the reason im asking is someones interested in buying the front stock shp struts along with the complete rear struts. id like to find some non-shp housings for my own project but im not spending more then 20-30 bux for the housings and so far all i got quoted was like 100+ shipping :( and at that i'll keep my stock ones and cut/weld them......anyhow so is this true for shp too?

Sometimes that nut on the front struts to remove the insertes is a B**CH,you will need some lube and a big wrench or a GM strut tool. after you remove the assembly from the car you will need to compress the spring and remove the strut nut and the isolater to get to the strut nut. Be carful if you put the strut in a standore vise,you can't sqeeze them to hard. I did pour about have the oil back in the strut after I removed the gets before I put the insert in,This helps disapate some heat whitch will degrade the performace of your strut. Hope some of this helps.