another one comes alive

Well tonight I finally got 'er running reasonably well.  I'm still battling a couple problems, first with one of the megasquirt injector channels (worked around it) and another with the ignition to ECU communication (stuck at 10deg advance), but it does run, so I thought I might share!!!

I'm complete psyched to get this thing back on the road!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's my setup specific to the MPI mods:

Chad's Custom Manifold

4x65lb Injectors

Megasquirt v2.2

Ford EDIS Ignition w/ crank trigger

EVO VIII Intercooler

2.5" Intercooler piping

65mm ford throttle body

pics (posted these before, no new pics since then..)

http://home.comcast.net/~kevin_connell/mpi/page0.html

http://home.comcast.net/~kevin_connell/mpi/wiring/page0.html

Rock on, glad to have another aboard..... I need to get working on mine some more, few things I need to take care of and then it's to the track, but I need to get a new cam as 5200rpm on an MPI is kinda weak, I want it to pull to 6500rpm...

Great work man! I"m happy to see other megasquirter's out there!

How was tuning it, or are you using the base map?

I am hoping to have my MPI w/megasquirt running in about 2 weeks too!

I think all of the megasquirts here should get together and post the tuning tables. This would help new people going to MS and I know it would help me alot at this point.

Again, killer work! I can't wait to hear how it runs for you!

What turbo are you running?

Shawn

Sweet, man!  And good thinking on the table swapping.  I'll start a new thread.  It would be nice if a mod would sticky it along with the SDS thread, etc.

Do you have shielded wires running from EDIS to the MS?  And all the settings exactly like the MegaManual says?

Sweet, man!  And good thinking on the table swapping.  I'll start a new thread.  It would be nice if a mod would sticky it along with the SDS thread, etc.

Yeah, that would be awsome! You were the first person I was going to ask about tables.

I'm not really looking for a shortcut, but more of gidance, to make sure I'm on the correct path.

I know this would help alot of us out!

Something else, which I have and others will have question about is, anything special needed for the MS board, such as using a different resister for dirty tach signals and such!

Shawn

just started on the tuning, but the basics of getting it running and idling are very simple with a megasquirt, it's all about the base pulse width (called "REQ_FUEL") and then you scale the map accordingly after you figure that out.  You can use MSTWEAK to turn your A/F stoich intersection points (even with a narrow band) into a usable map.

For table swapping, I'm very interested in that, I will post my tables when I get some road time for sure.   I'd like to see a 12x12 ignition map at this point since it's harder to tune that than it is fuel map (given a wideband..)

The trigger wheel is just welded to my dampner, and trued-up with a file while running, and the VR sensor clearance is re-adjusted.  Pretty simple. It remains to be seen if this will be reliable at high RPM but so far the visible runout is minimal and I've revved it to 5K in the garage with no misfire.  I wish I had a scope to check this all out with.

I do have shielded wires from the VR sensor to the module, but I'm not getting a saw signal from the megasquirt, so my next move is to shield the saw and pip wires from the megasquirt hoping that will solve that issue, but given what I've gone thru with megasquirt I'd bet my money on an assembly error on my part more than signal noise......   ::)

That looks SWEET !!! ;D I'm glad you have it running!!!!

You can also count me in as being MPI converted just got her running tonight. But will need a few more kinks to straighten. I'm also using Megatune 2.20  with the Hurricane MPI installed w/c Ed said is compatible. I love all those guages dancing around my laptop looked almost like a cockpit :D  I sure don't have any boost though ??? Even though i have an 11psi spring at my external wastegate I did patched up the leak I detected and I'm using the HKS EVC IV boost controller I had that disconnected  to narrow down my problems but still no boost meaning ZERO so what's wierding me out is that I should get the 11psi boost still I dunno if my map sensor has got to do with it I had the 3bar map.

sorry for taking your space Kev :-[

Joe

Yeah I suspected a leak on the wastegate flange I modified on your header it's just very small and so I just used those steel epoxies for now just to narrow it down and I also accidentally switched the hoses on my boost controller wrong and now that it's fixed i have not tried it yet,. but what's wierd is that I should stil have 11psi boost relevant to the spring of the wastegate. So you think my 3bar map sensor has something to do with it? ,..is it suppose to be mounted where the vac nipple facing down? ??? as per what my friend who's a mechanic told me.

Joe

It doesn't really matter how it's mounted, but most are mounted with the nipple down. The Map sensor should also be as close to the vac source as possible... Meaning less vac line the better response from the Map sensor itself...

Yeah I suspected a leak on the wastegate flange I modified on your header it's just very small and so I just used those steel epoxies for now just to narrow it down and I also accidentally switched the hoses on my boost controller wrong and now that it's fixed i have not tried it yet,. but what's wierd is that I should stil have 11psi boost relevant to the spring of the wastegate. So you think my 3bar map sensor has something to do with it? ,..is it suppose to be mounted where the vac nipple facing down? ??? as per what my friend who's a mechanic told me.

Joe

On my HKS WG if you don't tap the boost source close to the outlet of the compressor housing you won't get a good enough source.

At one point I used a vac/boost source like you would with a BOV...well the vacuum was opening up the WG at idle and screwing things up.

So maybe those lines were crossed.

What does your mechanical boost gauge say?

Cool,

can you give me some advice on how you did your ignition? Where'd you get the crank wheel? how'd you wire it up. I have a MSD6A,  how would I incorporate that in with the MS? Or should I sell the 6A ?

MSD6a only work on inductive systems...they won't work on distributorless...so if you run coil packs that 6A isn't going to be useful...you'd need a DIS igntion.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I got my injector channel and ignition issues worked out, got the front bumper back on, wiring cleaned up a bit.  Just need to button up the front grill and lights and it's ready to hit the road maybe tomorrow

Awesome some pics of the final product would be sweet. Also what did you use to block off the distributor hole?? Also are you planning on using the boost control or launch control functions at all, these seem like they would be a beneficial, I looked up that wiring diagram but it said its a test.

On my HKS WG if you don't tap the boost source close to the outlet of the compressor housing you won't get a good enough source.

At one point I used a vac/boost source like you would with a BOV...well the vacuum was opening up the WG at idle and screwing things up.

So maybe those lines were crossed.

What does your mechanical boost gauge say?

well it turns out that my evc was connected wrong to the so now I have the stock 11psi boost as per what the spring in my ext WG has.

The boost source hose from the comp housing to the WG is a little more than a foot and a half in length so hopefully that's ok and thank god I did not have that problem with the lines being crossed.  

kev_rm: so far this is what I have on my tables for the Megatune, I'm running Ed's (FIP) ecu / hurricane w/c is compatible for the v2.2 of megatune so I dunno if it will have the same variables as the MS , I'm stil having cold start hiccups and a mid trottle response issues,.. maybe you can tell on this tables what might be corrected.

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddim...zMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

Also will it be harmful to the ECU or engine if I copy of  VE tables and enrichments, constants directly on other cars to see if there's improvements?

Later,

Joe