DOHC HEAD.

johnfjamerson

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a few questions.

Is there a minimum/maximum investment amount? Is there a date you need to collect all of the funds? When do you expect production to begin? Oh, and is there an estimated total price on the head and all accessories that it comes with? Just wanna get a little more info before I put down some cash.

Tom

For now the head is set to be at about $2000.

There is no minimum, however, if you intend to buy one head, the maximum would be $1000. unless you would like to earn cash at that point, then say if in invested $1500... you would get $2000 credited toward the head (making it basicly free at that point) and then an additional $750 back in cash.

All of this will be ina contract signed by myself and you (the investment party) making this a legal binding contract.

I can start collecting funds imediatly, and up untill the $3000 mark that is needed to make the prototype.

As soon as some cash comes in, the prototype will start production. It may be on a car by the end of January, making the start of production as soon as May.

Anyone is welcome to contribute as much as they want. If you are planning on buying a head in the end, you will get double what you put down now toward the head. (With a limit of $2000 credited toward one head ---- that’s a max of $1000 dollars invested now to get that return). If you invest $20, you get $40. If you just want cash instead, invest $20, and get $30. Easy.

This is an "Investment" for every use of the legal term. 'If', and I say if this does not go to production, then no, you don’t get your money back. That’s what an investment is. However, keep in mind that through this process since this was first mentioned over 18 months ago, over 30 people have said that they would buy one for sure. And another 20 (on this forum) said they would strongly consider it if they saw that it worked on a car. Not to mention the interest of the Montero, D50, and MightyMax guys.

The max at this point is $5000. So if you put that down (Superfro), and if you elect not to buy a head, you would get $7500 back. Yes. If you do want to buy a head, then $1000 of your $5000 would be used for your head, and you would get a $2000 credit for it. The other $4000 would still have a return, and you would end up with $6000 cash. --- Thats a new head and $6000 in your pocket.

Keep in mind that if you wanted cash at the end, it would not be returned until surplus revenue was generated from the sales of the heads. Like this --- If 20 heads sold, and one guy invested $5000 to get $7500 back, he would not receive his money until the 19th head was completed. (Just the way the finances run down). All of this is put down on paper and signed by myself and the investor to make everything all neat and tidy. I don’t cash any checks until the investment contract if final.

Another thing to keep out there for all interested people. This is still a group purchase. We need 20 or more people to buy in to start production of the head. (I don’t think this will be a problem) You would buy in with about $1500 of the $2000 price tag. That money is what would be used to buy all the raw materials, and then machine a few heads. Then once the remaining $500 was paid, it would be used to machine and ship the next head, and so on.

Any more questions feel free to ask. As far as I’m concerned this is an open book matter to everyone on the forum.

While were on the subject. What will become of cams/timing chains/covers/valvecovers/ tensioners/intake manifold/exh manifold? Will you guys be selling and making all this as well or just the physical "prototype" chunk of aluminum for the 2k figure ?

Is there a machinist involved ?

Way to be, YELLOHELL!!!

To DJ, the prototype is not from scratch... that would cost around $8000. We are using the HKS for the prototype and making a kit to get it to bolt on. (The HKS is also cast) The production head will be based of off the HKS, but will be billet and much more modernized. I am discussing the possibilities of different cam profiles, and will (if there is enough cash) have some variations cut and run on the prototype car to see how they do. (Power and drivability differences). As of now however, there is not a final spec on how the cams will be cut.

For now if anyone wishes, they may Paypal my personal account with a notation that it is for DIK products. You will have an electronic receipt. Also send your mailing address with the payments.

International law is a little beyond me.... but I have asked my lawyer about it... A signed document will be just as good as an email saying the same thing. So that’s what will be done in that situation. Email me directly for more details.

• 3 weeks later...

you can give all the paypal names you want just don't give passwords DUHH

they want those to send you an invoice that is preprinted so you won't have too.

ARE these being made to accept readily available intake or exhaust manifolds so we don't have to make those too?

ARE these being made to accept readily available intake or exhaust manifolds so we don't have to make those too?

I am working on that. There is an issue on the stock intake that it will hit the strut tower on the drivers side. We are looking into either moving the ports forward or supplying a new manifold that will accept stcok TBI units. I know most MPI setups now have limited space issues. but the truth is, we just dont know what will be untill its on a car. And as for exhuast, I am looking into using the stock bolt pattern and port location, (just making the ports larger for flow), so that a stock maniofld or aftermarket manifold may be used.

truth be told we are not that far along yet.

i know that this might not be possible and might not be in the right spot but;  

Please don't do anything to compromise perforamance!  There is no need to worry about the stock intake manifold matching up!  If you are going to pay this much for a head and all you have no biznas (yeah that's how i spell it) puting the stock manifold on it.  Why would anyone do that?  I would be interested in this only if it were my gateway into the 500 or 600hp club.

Duely noted.

In no way would the flow of the head be comprimised. I am researching different ways to save a group of potential buyers some money by not making them buy an MPI setup at the same time as a head.

Then there are those who have already put $1000 plus into an MPI setup that would bolt onto a SOHC. i dont want to make them spend another few hundred dollars on a new manifold.

You can make the exhaust ports on the exhaust manifold much larger, without changing the bolt pattern. That will let you bolt your stock manifold on it, for example.

Nothing on the manifolds is for sure, but it is certain that this is to be a bolt on performance upgrade, no matter what fuel system, turbo, or any other upgrades you have already put money into.

I:m guessing it would be too much of a paint to make an adapter plate to make something like maga intakes fit. I thikn omst anyone woh has a magna could sell it onm the boards, and get the new intake. Consideirng most will not be doing this.

By the way, do you guys have a donor car yet? Imay be snagging a 88 that needs a new head. Might be able to let you guys use that as a test bed.

About the larger exhaust ports:

Something to consider, race prepared 2.6L heads obtain more horsepower by filling in

the exhaust ports some, produces better scavenging.

This is usually done by filling-in the port floor, creating a "D" port exhaust.

Since the intake will obviously be larger on the new head, keeping the exhaust port

the stock size, might produce better results than making it larger...

Look at the I/E port size varience on almost all heads, there is MUCH more I/E varience than on the 2.6L head...

I'm NOT the flow engineer, just want to offer what I know.

I think it's awsome this is actually happening!

Fred

The best way I see to make this a complete bolt on kit is to make an adaptor plate for the exhaust manifold and intake manifold. If you make the bolt pattern the same on the intake side of the head as stock then forget it. I moved the studs on my Magna on the intake side to accomodate the bigger ports and the manifold which isn't done yet. Actually the exhaust could be left the same bolt pattern now that I think about it...

DJ