Adapter Bellhousings for the 54B NOW have T56 #'s!

89onaquest

1 thing i didnt think about

4l60 = removable bellhousing+ electronic shift+pwm pressure contol solenoid

700r4 = nonremovable bellhousing + shifts without electronics(govenor/tv cable)

differnt case

???

ive never heard of a 4l60 shifting witout electronics

push button up-down shifts r possible with max line pressure(race only)but full auto without gm pcm would be tough

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 thing i didnt think about

4l60 = removable bellhousing+ electronic shift+pwm pressure contol solenoid

700r4 = nonremovable bellhousing + shifts without electronics(govenor/tv cable)

differnt case

???

ive never heard of a 4l60 shifting witout electronics

push button up-down shifts r possible with max line pressure(race only)but full auto without gm pcm would be tough

Ahh but the beauty is that people can build a relay box that acts as a ECM. Don't ask ME how to do it, but hell look at the megasquirt gang. Just need something to provide V out at certain points. Dunno... but I know it could be done.

Ahh but the beauty is that people can build a relay box that acts as a ECM. Don't ask ME how to do it, but hell look at the megasquirt gang. Just need something to provide V out at certain points. Dunno... but I know it could be done.

heres the diffence

4l60-700r4 same thing, one piece case

4l60E= electronic/some removeable bellhousings mostly after 99

yes an ecm could be built to shift the tranny

how many people r willing to do the tranny swap and build a custom ecm?

im still willing to help, but lets make sure people want to go this rought.

i would rather adapt the old style nonelectronic

also the new style bellhousing is an 8 bolt design (housing to case) very diff from the t5

I called that Sallee Chevrolet in the first link I provided.

He mentioned that there is a computer and wiring kit available from Chevrolet that will operete the 4L60-E.

The cost is about $900  :o

I'd bet you could find this cheaper somewhere.

He also said that the the removable bellhousing is only available in the 4L60-E.

I wonder if you could covert the "E" to an non-"E" to benifit from the removable bellhousing.

I'd think the Megasquirt system could be adapted to shift the 4L60-E with some work.

Well. You can also just make a pressure sensor circuit that can read the line pressure and provide V out to the gear drivers, but I also really like the idea of the paddle system. But as mentioned, it would be a complete manual nothing auto about it at all.

Also, possibly one could adapt the Ford Edis system to act as a shifting driver. I know the MS has several user proramable outputs, on being shift lights.

I have also been thinking this should be more of an adapter plate rather then a housing. Opinions/Comments?

It would also lower the price substantially.

Well. You can also just make a pressure sensor circuit that can read the line pressure and provide V out to the gear drivers, but I also really like the idea of the paddle system. But as mentioned, it would be a complete manual nothing auto about it at all.

Also, possibly one could adapt the Ford Edis system to act as a shifting driver. I know the MS has several user proramable outputs, on being shift lights.

I have also been thinking this should be more of an adapter plate rather then a housing. Opinions/Comments?

It would also lower the price substantially.

i like the paddle idea, put line pressure control is the main problem.max line pressure is applied by default. a pwm solenoid reduces line pressure when not needed. without it , slams every gear/every time. if your racing this is good, but just putting it  in gear chirps the tires.

tough on drivetrain comonents

adapting  a 4l60e to run with non (e) components would be near impossible

case is just too different

i would prefer the adapter plate to the 4l60- much simpler

I called that Sallee Chevrolet in the first link I provided.

He mentioned that there is a computer and wiring kit available from Chevrolet that will operete the 4L60-E.

The cost is about $900  :o

I'd bet you could find this cheaper somewhere.

He also said that the the removable bellhousing is only available in the 4L60-E.

I wonder if you could covert the "E" to an non-"E" to benifit from the removable bellhousing.

I'd think the Megasquirt system could be adapted to shift the 4L60-E with some work.

If you really wanted to make this work, pick up a pcm and harness from a scrap yard 4l60e car/truck. find a way to mimic gm crank trigger signal, use a gm tps w/standalong management, plug in a map sensor and ect and away u go

$900 on the credit card is much simpler though.

I agree an adapter plate would be the cheapest and cover more applications especially if the 700R4, 4L60 and 4L60-E have the same bolt patterns.

What do you do about getting a flex plate that could bolt to our cranks?

If its a matter of bolting an adapter and getting a custom flex plate, swapping in one these trannies may be doable for me.

Fabricating a rear mount and having the drive shaft shortened shouldn't be that big a deal.

I can't remember, does the starter bolt ot the engine block on a Chevy?

I agree an adapter plate would be the cheapest and cover more applications especially if the 700R4, 4L60 and 4L60-E have the same bolt patterns.

What do you do about getting a flex plate that could bolt to our cranks?

If its a matter of bolting an adapter and getting a custom flex plate, swapping in one these trannies may be doable for me.

Fabricating a rear mount and having the drive shaft shortened shouldn't be that big a deal.

I can't remember, does the starter bolt ot the engine block on a Chevy?

engine

If you really wanted to make this work, pick up a pcm and harness from a scrap yard 4l60e car/truck. find a way to mimic gm crank trigger signal, use a gm tps w/standalong management, plug in a map sensor and ect and away u go

$900 on the credit card is much simpler though.

The Ford Edis can do that. It is used in conjuction with MS to run distributorless ignition.

Starter bolts to bottom right hand side on SBC.

The adapter plate would most certainly be cheaper, also, the 54B has plently of room for the 10-11.5" converters for the GM trannies. All that would have to be done is have the auto flexplate redrilled or maybe not, I do not know that spacing on the quest auto flexplate. SO you would simply run the stock plate possibly needing to have 3/4 new holes drilled.

I will try to get a spacer plate off Joe's 87 that he has removed the trans out of and go by a junk yard sometime this week to get measurements off of some 700r's

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, Joe got a buyer/trader for his camaro. We are still waiting for confirmation, but Joe thinks he is going to be getting what he wants. A 700R4. We are hoping to have this within the next 10 days. More like praying actually.

Anyway, TPI I still got your bellhousing, I even cleaned it up. Just giving a heads up/ update.

Also, I will be going with adapter plates. The 700 plate will have the SBC trans holes, so you can pick your own SBC trans.

I'm changing the 700R4 in my Blazer this weekend. The 700R4 fits the 350 the Vortec 6cyl. and the 2.8 v6 so the bell should be identical to the other chevy tranny's from the same era. The Turbo350 and 400 are the same bolt pattern as the r4 if I'm not mistaken.

I'm changing the 700R4 in my Blazer this weekend. The 700R4 fits the 350 the Vortec 6cyl. and the 2.8 v6 so the bell should be identical to the other chevy tranny's from the same era. The Turbo350 and 400 are the same bolt pattern as the r4 if I'm not mistaken.

Your trans will fit the 90* V6 and the V8's IT WILL NOT fit the V6 2.8/3.1/3.4 they are 60* engines.

But yes the 700/TH350/TH400/4L60 are the same bolt pattern.

Ok I havn't read every single post but I did do a search on this whole thread and no one mentioned the 200R4 used by Grand Nationals... why not.. I've got a magazine where they have one built to withstand 900HP!!!!  These transmissions have some awesome qualities most other autos do not.

#1  Small .. should be able to fit into our trans area

#2  Small also means that it takes a lot less power to turn the pump on it .. which means more of our engines power to the wheels

#3  These transmissions were made to utilize torque.. and it shows with the wide ratio between gears

#4  They have a lower OD gear than ours (ours .68 .. 200R4 .67)

#5  No need for a computer as the 60Lx requires .. (don't get me wrong about the computer thing because I have a read up and I know that one could set the shift points for any gear which is a pretty awesome thing)

#6  You can get a high stall convter and still have lockup ;)  ( yes yes I know the same goes for 60Lx but I needed another entry :)  )

#7  TH200-4Rs offers full-throttle upshifts into overdrive, while only '91 and later Corvette TH700-R4s offer this.  (found this on a website)

BTW where does this GP stand?  .... i'll the rest of my reading now ;)

Zero

edit:  Ok so I went and got some numbers and maybe this kind of stuff will help other people out...

Powerglide

1.76  1.00

TH-350

2.52  1.52  1.00

TH-400

2.48  1.48  1.00

700-R4

3.06  1.63  1.00  0.70

200-R4

2.74  1.57  1.00  0.67

4L60

3.06  1.63  1.00  0.70

4L80

2.48  1.48  1.00  0.75

GM 94-97 T-56

Gear ratios:

2.66:1 first, 1.78:1 second, 1.30:1 third, 1.00:1 fourth, .74:1 fifth, .50:1 sixth, and 3.28:1 reverse.

Torque capacity: 450 lb-ft.

Ford T5 and year from stangs

model # , 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, Rev, torque capacity

5-speed T5 (1987-89)

E6ZR-7003-FB      3.35      1.93      1.29      1.00      0.675      3.15      265      

5-speed T5 (1989)

E9ZR-7003-A      3.35      1.99      1.33      1.00      0.675      3.15      300      

5-speed T5 (1990)

F0ZR-7003-AA      3.35      1.99      1.33      1.00      0.675      3.15      300      

5-speed T5 (1991-93)

FZZR-7003-AA      3.35      1.99      1.33      1.00      0.675      3.15      300

Hope all this helps some....

Zero

great info

200r may have some advantage over the 700

cost is not one of them

much cheaper to build a stong 700

also good (HP) junkyard 700 parts r much more plentiful

the only 200 worth a crap went in the grandnational family(special build)

the rest r junk

IMHO

I'd be interested in an adapter for a T-56 Camaro tranny... got a friend with one that I can get cheap with a high dollar clutch and everything ready to go.  Did you ever get the bolt pattern for the GM T-56 89onaquest?