High End pistonds Come get them!!

TainterRacing

Ok I am going to be getting some and I am able to do a GP of them this is what i know so Far.

Brand: Mahle, German company

Coated: Our pistons are surface treated with a phosphate coating that aids the break-in of the piston and pin, and provides their unique black color. MAHLE Motorsports pistons are also available with MAHLE's patented Grafal® surface coating treatment applied as part of the machining process. Grafal®, a thin layer of small resin particles, reduces friction and provides increased lubrication allowing our components to withstand harsher engine conditions for longer periods of time.

http://www.mahlemotorsports.com/home_inc.nsf/a1fce28d42908822c1256ad30071c146/3af57258cb9ef64641256bc8005dd193/Text/0.7C?OpenElement&FieldElemFormat=gif

Other Info: They are Super light wieght And they will be FLAT tops

I will post more as I get more info on them... as well as a price.

Excellent find. I know these pistons came in or were used as a replacement on all air-cooled VW's.  I have a set in my Bus. They can take a beating, as anyone who has ever owned an old VW can attest to. Those little motors are always overrevved and underpowered, and rarely do you hear of piston failure. Certainly would like more info.

terry

flat tops ? they will be about useless wont they ?

Well you could run about 6-8psi on Pump gas But on Race gas you still would be able to run 18-25Psi matters what Gas you are runing.

There is a few guys that run flat tops do you rember that Guy that showsed up at the meet with the MPI.... the red car... with the 60-1 and cut hood he ran flat tops it can be done just not able to boost it up less you get good gas.

Any one Know what flat tops will make for compresstion??? like what 8.8:1 to 9:1 range I think.. in there.

Throwing some quick numbers together, it looks like somewhere between 8.2:1 and 8.9:1.  8.2:1 is what comes up when I plug in the stock numbers that I've seen posted by others.  Heavy block/head decking along with the smaller chambered Marnal head yields something around 8.9:1.

Hmm, even at 8.5:1, I would think that 93 pump gas would still allow 12-14 psi without any problems.  Or does that sound like pushing it?

*I have not CC'd or taken any of the measurements myself.*

*Stock pin height used in all calculations.*

So really now, what's so great about these pistons?  They definitely look cool.  Is it the light weight or the special magic coating?  Anybody know how much less they weigh than your typical forged?  Oh yeah, these are forged pistons that are just coated, right?  Any chance at all for a small dished piston, maybe 5-10cc dish?  They do sell "inverted dome" Mahles for SB Chevys.   How about the thicker ring lands for our boosted application?  And finally...how much estimated would they cost?

Josh

BTW, while I was searching around for measurements for the calculation, I noticed that Richie_Rich recently did some good measurements/calculations when he bought his 8:1s.  He also concluded that flat tops would put us around 8.5:1.  I would rather be around 8:1.

Well yes super light and take Exstreem heat as well they are the same ones used in many F1 cars and LeMans cars, there is not any thing lighter out there I am waiting to get more info on them yet. They Retail for about $1060 or so a set. Not sure on the GP price yet... still working on that.

Read this..

MAHLE is on the forefront of materials research. MAHLE created the M124-S and MSP25-S alloys specifically to make lighter weight components with the strength and stability to withstand the extreme pressures of racing. Our forgings are made and 100% hand inspected at MAHLE's worldwide headquarters in Germany where we produce pistons for most European champions. Forgings are manufactured with the end-use application in mind so customers receive pistons matched to their specific needs

I see their SBC pistons for a little more than $110 per piston

Yeah, but you can get forged pistons for a SBC for $60 or $70 and ours are rarely available under $105 each.  Just one of the drawbacks of not having millions of our engines produced.

1070 for a set... ok... umm how about I will go with ross for half that price, and have a rtue custom piston that will be just about as good.

Yeah, no special coatings for super high revs' but our engines dare not go past 7200 anyway...

And the comment about the SBC pistons, if one were good at math, they could find other cars that have pistons very similar to ours... mainly bore and pin height, which I am sure there has to be another engine out there that is close enough to use.

3.59 bore...  something out there HAS to match that bore. Just to do the math on how the change in pin height will effect COMP...

1070 for a set... ok... umm how about I will go with ross for half that price, and have a rtue custom piston that will be just about as good.

Yeah, no special coatings for super high revs' but our engines dare not go past 7200 anyway...

I plan to rev well past 7,500 when done. I will say they would not be worth it at all Less it was a race mostly Motor the coating is not what makes it rev so high all tho it helps it is the alloy that they use lets them be lighter and take more heat them all most all others made.

i have all stock internals except for a cam and i could rev all day past 7500 with stock pistons and those babies dont even complaine while seeing the occasional 30 psi. a set of JEs will just provide a higher margin of safety plus some much needed compression. its those BMWs that need all that high dollar stuff to huff and puff and raise their egos with.

its those BMWs that need all that high dollar stuff to huff and puff and raise their egos with.

Oh, here we go again with the Beemer Beating LOL,   :o JK guy, how are those rear camber plates coming?

AndyW

• 2 weeks later...