Carbon Fibre Front Air Dams (CLOSED)

Shawn_Silva

This would be very interesting if the cost wasn't much more than a stock replacement piece.

Excuse my ignorance, but can CF be painted?

I see all kind of CF hoods that look like total crap not painted to match the rest of the car.

Shawn,

A carbon fiber air dam would be nice, but is not practicle in my opinion. The one time you pull a little too close to a curb or parking block or graze over some road debris will likely be the demise of the CFAD. I would not spend money on a carbon fiber part that is already (durable) OEM urethane.

I believe it would be more practicle to produce paintable carbon fiber parts that are OEM metal (i.e., hood and fenders).

I am guessing the cf would be more prone to cracking than the plastic oem piece?

shawn id be interested in letting you borrow a nbew OEM one to make molds off . etc. so that the market does not go to the dogs .

tisk tisk... If the market "goes to the dogs" that means that people will get what they want, and not be kept hanging on empty promises...

tisk tisk... If the market "goes to the dogs" that means that people will get what they want, and not be kept hanging on empty promises...

No, actually it means that the few who still have them can ask whatever the hell they want for them and thats not right.

Scott, thanks so much, I have a brand new 1 piece that the mold is being taken off of by a friend of mine who runs a very large boat building company.  They use alot of carbon, kevlar and infusion so the mold would be top notch, braced on the car for proper fitment.

Yes, carbon will explode with a good enough impact, whereas fiberglass will only be effected in the area of impact.  I'm still speaking with them in regards to composites or poly, this thread was started to find any interest and not to beat a dead horse in regards to pro's and con's.

Take care

Shawn

I agree with Shawn.  It seems lately that all that is being posted on these boards is BS.  If that is the case, then it should be on the BS forums, NOT in any others.  I'm sure the mods will be happier that way.

Let's just stick to the topics of posts and not go off track and on a really beaten path.

Just my 2.6 cents.

Thats Great news Shawn !I have come to know that you  offer a top notch product with lots of time and research using only the best materials and typically not  a lot of "hype", rather your works have surprised many of us in that we had no idea they were coming.A secret is always safe here my friend, You have my respect 100% and I admire your ability to not get caught up in the barrel shoot and just make great stuff that we all need . enuff said.

I think what would sell like hotcakes for whoever makes it, would be the Rally-Art Starion front spoiler. It is far superior, and just needs someone to mold it. It was for flatbodies, but the mold could easily be made to fit up to a wide body, by someone who knows what they are doing.

Id bet most of us have not seen this spoiler. I'll try to dig up a pic of it. I would be interested in such a variation or one, other than the only option we currently have.

Tim C.

Well, I found a pic that has a copy of the one I'm talking about. Very similar, but not quite like the Mitsu one. However, it is a link to a site that also sells spoilers, but not the copy shown on the car I'm talking about. He doesn't say he can make that one, plus, his are unique in such a way that most would not be interested. So, I won't post the pic or the link due to that. You guys know which one I'm talking about. It's the ONE PIECE ONE. And I do mean one piece. Get it? Now you know the site, but the actual Rally-Art spoiler was shown in Mitsu dealer brochures in '85. The Rally-Art car was sold by Mitsu dealerships, and may have a part number to pull up a pic? I think the intercooler would still work where it is.

Has anyone tried urethane? I believe urethane is tougher and more flexible than fiberglass or carbon fiber... just my .02

I don't think necessarily "tougher" but definitely a little bit more flexible. the kind of c/f panels and such they use for f1 and other racing sanctions are more then likely braced with something else (aluminum honeycomb) for reinforcement.

i think it might be worthwhile to research the somewhat latest technology they currently have out now. it's the "hybrid" fiberglass stuff (also nicknamed "P.F.R.P."). you've probably seen the adds where you can bend and flex it all you want (though all the bumpers they advertise are all in the "unpainted" state ::))

i'd be more interested in a full "1 piece" front end if it can be done for a relatively affordable price. since a lot of people now are trying to start GP's on stock 1 piece ones this might be an alternative for some.

just a thought.

• 2 weeks later...

yo tim u talkin about these?? if so i think if someone could modify them to fit the widebody's i would buy one for sure once i saw one on a car to make sure it looked good...they look SICK on the older ones but im not sure how it would be on teh later wide body models....maybe someone could do a photoshop chop...

http://www.26liter.us/dugallery/pictures/4wd22.jpg

http://www.26liter.us/dugallery/pictures/4wd2.jpg

i think the rally style front spoiler along with that ASHTON* rear air diffuser would be an AWESOME combo for any conquest/starion...we don't have redundant ground effects for our cars but i would like to see some options....i think we do need something in the back and an improvement in the front would be optimal.

i think a carbon stock front unit would be great, and people, be considerate of your cars, don't drive into curbs and stuff!  that's all!  and those rally cars kinda look goofy. maybe it's just the grill part, but dang, i dunno about those, i don;t want it on my car.

i just drew this... i didn't make it ultra accurate, just on the fly... but here it is, complete with carbon front splitter, projector headlights and custom hood.

http://images.cardomain.com/member_img_a/32000-32999/32262_21_full.jpg