New Fiberglass Header Panels Update..

KO

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the problem with the purple one is that it leaves the corner lights there and they look very out of place. it will look very odd and homemade on a car with a light color. the vent itself is nice, if it was moved higher so it was just on the header grill

:o how big is that ovcp on that red quest.

That's Jozel on Tristarion.com, you can go overthere and in the General forum he has a post about 'Shelby's Hardpipes and New IC" and ask him. I have no idea what size it is... But since those are shelby's pipes, I'd guess he is using the TEP OVCP. Judging by what the sizes look like.

hey, it looks like the picture I posted earlier was from Chads car. I was looking at this other picture of his car and noticed the vents. he might have a setup for making these in higher numbers.

http://users.lvcm.com/starquest/ChadsHeader/Chads%20Car.jpg

I assume that the purpose of these vents is more than cosmetic (allowing more airflow to the radiator)?  Does this disturb the flow thru the intercooler?

In keeping with the design being functional.... anyone good with an art program (photo shop)?

What about something more akin to a scoop on that panel?  Rather than just an open slot have something like.. (and not this extreme) but akin to the intakes on the Pontiac Firebird Trans Am.  Smoother, smaller, but a scoop none the less?

Opinions?

I mean since a mold is going to be made in fiberglass I would suggest that anything is possible... per se..

http://www.26liter.us/dugallery/pictures/texquest.jpg

i like this one

I like the style of this one as well.  

Will it really matter if it is functional?  Is there going to be enough air moving through there to cool the engine down any?

I do not know much about air cooling but like the '83 hood I can not see that much air getting in there to make a difference.  I only say this because you would have to make the holes so small so not too much road dust and debris gets in there.

Again just asking because I really do not know anything except that this looks awesome!

Jay

I like the style of this one as well.  

Will it really matter if it is functional?  Is there going to be enough air moving through there to cool the engine down any?

I do not know much about air cooling but like the '83 hood I can not see that much air getting in there to make a difference.  I only say this because you would have to make the holes so small so not too much road dust and debris gets in there.

Again just asking because I really do not know anything except that this looks awesome!

Jay

Well, I'm going to just act ignorant..  :-/  because I really don't know.. but when it comes to airflow... I don't want to mess up an airflow.  

Example.. the way the air flows into the car now... there are certain areas of high pressure and low pressure.  

All the air going thru the radiator comes from the front, thru the intercooler etc...

Now if we open the header panel... could we... would we... change the areas of high pressure so that we change the airflow significantly ... less efficiency of the intercooler?  Or radiator...

I know in my Thunder bird TC it supposedly makes a big difference if this little 2" black air dam that runs under the front "chin" of the car is present or not.  NOT and the air flow changes such that the radiator doesn't get what it needs.  

Just food for thought!

:D

AxStar, thats a reasonable question although, I think the "chin spoiler" on the t-bird is very different than added air flow from the front of the radiator.  the air spliter on the t-bird changes how the air is sucked out of the engine bay.  Added front vents would only aid in air flowing through (front to back ) of the radiator. It may change the pressure region but nothing drastic.  Instead of air coming in from the bottom, it will be from the bottom and top.

Well since we are making the header pannel out of fiberglass why don't we incorperate the flush headlight idea?  Maybe something like this...

http://www.geocities.com/decoy654/picture/texquest.txt

What you think?  I have another pic I did but I'll wait for it to get hosted to post it.  LOL

Laterz,

Brian

• 2 weeks later...