Pics of Front Air dams upgrades

NitroNick

If we as a StarQuest family were going to build a top speed-mph / speed record starquest,  what kind of front air dam would you make..   Also I'am really looking for any pics of diff. style front air dams for the starquest.

[ftp]http://www.eng.vt.edu/fluids/msc/auto_lsr.htm[/ftp]

are you going to build one?  what kind of class is there for our cars?  I dont think we could put a candle to anything.  I saw in my edelbrock catalogue today a 3rd gen camaro went 220 something.  i dont think even with tons of mods you could get our car any faster then 170 because of gearing 150 stock.  they offer taller gears then 354 but not smaller.  the only different front bumper ive ever seen is on cubaccatsi's post, not sure if it would help your aerodynamics at all, you would need to drop one down and you would probobly be better off with a flatsider.

the aussie's have options when it comes to changing the nose piece on the flatsiders.  Even w/ those tho, the biggest problem is lift with the front end w/ speeds much over 110.  That seems like the plague of all starquests.  Of course too, just as Matt mentioned, we'd need different gearing to get much past 150.

pen

i think if you go back and look at the numbers, the flatsiders had a lower drag coef then the widebodies, am i right?  

Yeah, but if the flatsider had the same hp it might only equate to 5-10 more mph of top speed. The frontal areas are still about the same, it's the widenned fenders that changed the drag of the widebody.

I'd think what would need to be made is some form of flat nose piece, with a vent that exits over the hood(like the new 911, or Shelbys). That would help plant the nose on the ground, then of course a slightly longer wing(not necessarily higher, just longer) with an upsweep to it to help keep the rear on the ground.

I say make massive vents in the hood, get rid of the vacuum created above it.  Basically bring air in under it and use the vents as little wings... plus it would help keep heat out of the engine bay (imagine full throttle on a salt flat for 10 miles on race gas and 25psi of boost).  The next thing to do would be to make an extension under the stock air dam that almost touches the ground to create a vacuum under the car and a diffuser under the rear.  

Im all about keeping all the wings UNDER the car... like a McLauren F1.  This only elimintates the front end lift... not the drag coefficient... it might make it worse.. but at least its stuck to the ground.

i would do a complete sheetmetal or CF flatbottom for the car with a diffuser at the rear and some diveplanes on the front... oh wait, you said top speed.  in that case just an air splitter at the front to divert more air over the front and into the intercooler/radiator and a large flat drag wing in the rear.  i would also put a vent in the hood, somewhere around the middle to make use of the vacuum there to pull the heat out of the engine compartment.  possibly would also duct the radiator/intercooler from the front end up through the hood vent, separating it from the engine compartment air (like a shelby series 1).

i think if you go back and look at the numbers, the flatsiders had a lower drag coef then the widebodies, am i right?  

From the magazine articles I am looking at......

Narrow body = 0.35cd

Wide body = 0.35cd

I believe Mitsu also states the same coefficient of drag for both models in the brochures, but I'm too lazy to drag them out right now.  :P

• 4 weeks later...
I don't think I ever laughed so hard in my life.  Not at your work there nitro but at the reactions.  while I'm not laughing at you, I do have to agree with these guys.  Especially Ratmtattat, WooWoo!!   Oh man did I laugh when I read that.

More power to you man.  Just keep the nitro in the bottle this time and don't forget it's illegal to inhale it.

381b.  Any person who possesses nitrous oxide or any substance

containing nitrous oxide, with the intent to breathe, inhale, or

ingest for the purpose of causing a condition of intoxication,

elation, euphoria, dizziness, stupefaction, or dulling of the senses

or for the purpose of, in any manner, changing, distorting, or

disturbing the audio, visual, or mental processes, or who knowingly

and with the intent to do so is under the influence of nitrous oxide

or any material containing nitrous oxide is guilty of a misdemeanor.

This section shall not apply to any person who is under the

influence of nitrous oxide or any material containing nitrous oxide

pursuant to an administration for the purpose of medical, surgical,

or dental care by a person duly licensed to administer such an agent.

More power to you man.  Just keep the nitro in the bottle this time and don't forget it's illegal to inhale it.

Chip......correct me if I'm wrong on this...

But I am pretty sure it's denatured some how. It's not like laughing gas that the dentist uses. They take the funny out of it..

Shawn

lol, I have no idea man.  I've never used either kind

Diddo...I've never huffed or have done drugs...I hear funny juice is good stuff. A friend of mine, who works for a dentist, always jokes about using the stuff while working.........that's if they had it.

Shawn

The stuff in the nitrous tank does the same as the dentists stuff. They just use impure nitrous that has a rotten egg smell in the NOS tanks. The stuffa t the dentist is the same buzz it just is processed to taste o.k.

burton

Guest castmem

aside from the "giggle gas" conversation, you wanted to know how to acheive higher speeds and better times. well, along with changing the gears out, adding the "Bottle", and adding various forced induction parts, about your only other options are to either do a full engine transplant from another car along with better gears, or you can go lightweight and have a racing frame made by this one guy in San Diego called "Crazy Willie". Then you can have a fiberglass body made of the starquest. That'll sure get ya into some sort of record book!

-Dustin