1987 and below igniter board extraction

tux

Does anyone know how to get the circuit board out of the plastic casing?

I was able to get the cover off and the entire thing was filled with some clear sticky substance.

But I'm in need of removing the board to fix a blown capacitor and some visibly broken traces.

Edited by tux

• tux changed the title to 1987 and below igniter board extraction

I’ve taken many of them apart but I’ve never tried to save the internals, both boards are molded in by tabs on the side structure.  Try using a dremel with a cut off wheel to score the top and bottom covers.  The sticky goo is a pain to deal with, it’s there to seal out the elements and help transfer heat.  I don’t know of a solvent off the top of my head but start with isopropyl alcohol, move to acetone if the IPA isn’t effective.  Once repairs are completed use conformal coating to seal things up.

PM me an address, I checked my parts pile and came up with 5, including two that have clearly been opened up before.  You can use them to experiment and/or one of them is likely good.

I wanted to avoid dremeling them out.

I cant see how they got it in there to begin with, unless the plastic was formed around the PCB, which seems unlikely.

The back came off pretty easy using a hot air station. Hot air station helped separating the two boards.

but I'm just perplexed as to how to get the PCB out of there!

Thanks for the offer Scott. I'll give you a ping.  Maybe I can cobble something together that works.  I'm sure some of these components I may not be able to find on mouser.