1987 Black Starion (Number 8 for me)

Jonathan

Been gone a while and saw the site lost alot of posts, so I will start a new one. Got this 87 about 2 years ago and it was in a slight front fender bender. Well turn out to be more that that. The front was pushed back to much to repair so I just opted for a new front clip. This is where its been for a while now. I just need to make some more cuts to the frame portion to get it lined up properly and then weld it in. Kind of scare since I want to make sure its all lined up properly so that the front end looks level and not out of place. Then reassembly. Engine is in the corner of the garage. I need to take the turbo off and get it rebuilt. Any recommendations on who can rebuild our turbos? I would like a 16G or super 16G. Would also settle for a 14G. 

large.20220131_134219.jpg.17940d4b6faae8

large.20220131_111258.jpg.dbd14f21961de4

large.20220131_134214.jpg.6716818bea883d

Jonathan

Edited by Jonathan

Welcome back!

Pics don't seem to work for me?

Yeah ... a few things have changed around here. Mine had pretty severe front end pass side damage in the late 80s. Long before I bought the car and unknown to me when I did. They cut a BIG chunk from about the hood latch to the center of the wheel well. Then welded in a donor piece ... poorly. I had a frame shop look at it once I realized how far off things were in the area. Nope. Because it was technically missing material, they couldn't (and didn't want to try) to pull it back straight/sqaure. A few hidden spacers and a couple slots. Pretty much the only option aside from start cutting. Which I did do some cutting and welding to help ... some.s Holds alignment very well even after seasons of autocross. Good enough 🙂

Welcome back.

From what I gather, our turbos are still pretty standard, so any turbo shop should be able to handle them. I had a good experience with Forced Performance, but they are local to me. I'm sure there's a good shop closer to you.

Also the pictures aren't working for me either. The forum re-launch greatly reduced the max file upload size. Check this out to use Imgur for image hosting:

I was wondering how you were doing with this car.  Good to see you!

when you get it all trimmed, just use a few tacks here and there to hold it together and completely assemble the front clip. The fewer the tacks, the better because you will most likely have to grind them, or some of them, to readjust.   It’s a time consuming battle but do as many revolutions as needed to make sure it’s all lined up before you weld it solid.   

with the way that you are welding this clip on, be careful when you grind the welds.  I’d leave them go on any areas that aren’t too visible and just focus on the areas that are.  Don’t grind them fully smooth, leave a little crown.  You can always smooth things out with some filler afterwards to make them not noticeable.    

best of luck with this. I actually consider the welding/fabrication the most enjoyable thing when working on cars now.   I’m sick of the basic mechanicals.

Hey Kev! Thanks for the info. That is a great idea to get it all attached and then complete the weld. I have seen our cars that are not repaired properly and there are gaps and mis alignments everywhere. I was able to get a little more adjusting done yesterday. Will do some more today and get the pieces as level to each other as possible. The holes line up on the top section where it attaches to the fenders, but the bottom frame area on the drivers side needs a little more taken off. 

large.20230806_150256.jpg.5a58e07f2f47c0e1c83b12910547161e.jpg

large.20230806_150345.jpg.e72d20a440b16401445dd7147ea5dcac.jpg