Abandoned Car

jellyneck

There is an abandoned 1st gen Rx-7 that has been sitting in a parking lot of a business that has been closed down for almost a year now. I pass by it almost everyday. Just wondering if anyone knows the stipulations of getting ownership of it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/littlchampion/0F22E147-CB39-4E03-847E-35B685FC45A0.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/littlchampion/5367BEA1-8549-421B-91A6-1E8DFDC69C2A.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/littlchampion/5599A0E2-D00C-4C91-81F2-A8C1809D0A66.jpg

Take the VIN to the DMV or the cops to see if its reported stolen. That would be my first step.

Everything varies from state to state

That looks like you are going to need to put a lot of money into it right there...you sure you want to do this? I 'd advise going to buy 1 already running and that you can go see and drive and check out..

Anyway you take down the VIN and check in with your state and see if you can go about getting a title on an abandoned car. Just call up a local notary/tag/title place if you still want to pursue it. And just what I noticed, looks like the engine is out of it to?

As already stated it's different in every state. In PA for instance, you have to take out a newspaper ad with the VIN number (kinda old school). After a month of running the ad if no one claims it, it's yours. You just have to go through the notary and do all the proper stuff.

Like Jeff said, find the property owner. I'm not sure how it works in other states. But in Cali private impound is meant to help property owners legally remove vehicles from their property.

The property owner contracts with a PI tow company and they call them to remove unwanted cars.

If you find the property owner and they want the car removed, you can offer to remove it, have them sign a written consent take pics of the car as it sits on the property, remove said car. Then place a lien on the car. But definately find out legalities first.

in fl the car has to be in YOUR possession for 3 yrs before you car get a tittle , also indviuals can no longer do this , must be car dealer or used car seller , normally it's $300 to $500 for tittle

but like many things large amounts of $$$ changes requirements

in fl the car has to be in YOUR possession for 3 yrs before you car get a tittle , also indviuals can no longer do this , must be car dealer or used car seller , normally it's $300 to $500 for tittle

but like many things large amounts of $$$ changes requirements

Wow! Really? Cali, 30 days is considered abondoned. Auto/ body repair shops can place liens on customers cars if customer fails to pay or pick uo their car. Takes 30 days to clear and car is theirs.