Alabama Trip

Speedy2222

Looking for suggestions. Going to be doing a roadtrip to Alabama. Trying to get ideas of cool stuff to do or see along the way. If you have any suggestions it's appreciated. I put a map showing roughly our route, we'll be avoiding interstates. Anyone that wants to meet up down there or on the way let me know! Would be awesome, or if anyone is sort of on the route and wouldn't mind pming me your contact info incase i run into issues, that would be even more appreciated!

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k181/Speedy2222/AL15Trip/al%20trip_zpsfr0ubirl.jpg

Dont forget if you are carrying a firearm to check what is legal in each state. Passing through a state and staying overnight, even in a hotel, may have different laws. If you do take a good amount of cash have a record of where you got it. Cops can "confiscate" it unless you can prove you legally obtained it.

No offense but wouldnt Nashville be a good place to sight see? Your driving all around it but not through it.

No offense but wouldnt Nashville be a good place to sight see? Your driving all around it but not through it.

More after the side of the road/ small town odd ball stuff versus the main line tourist stuff. While we'll still be doing a good amount of that we want to see the "off the main highways" areas

If you do take a good amount of cash have a record of where you got it. Cops can "confiscate" it unless you can prove you legally obtained it.

They can still take it regardless. Not worth the risk. My strait edge sister was held up for an hour while they searched her car for drugs. They wouldn't listen to reason.

Whenever I rent a car, i try to get plates to match the state. Out of state plates atract attention. Not so much on highway, but on a trip like that they sure do. Easpecially poor and/or small counties.

I live in Pensacola, FL which is like 10 miles from the state line. You going to Mobile?

We'll be going through mobile, we'll probably go up there and see a few things one day. I was also told to check out Bestin,FL. Pensacola is right there, may see me driving around =-o We'll be leaving through Pensacola and heading north

I'd suggest stopping off in Huntsville AL to see the NASA Space Museum. It is absolutely awesome.

I also second seeing the USS Alabama in Mobile AL. There is also an incredible display of Cold War jets including a Blackbird SR-71. Not to mention a WWII submarine which you can go through. Plan on spending at least a day at each of the 2 places.

For What It's Worth.

KEN

Destin is a tourist trap and traffic sucks. If you want good beaches anywhere from Orange beach to Navarre will be fine, and Pensacola is in between. Plenty of good restaurants and bars, live shows, and cars. Saturday night in Pensacola is a weekly meet. I'll see if anything else is happening you might be interested in. You bringing your SQ?

Interesting route you have planned there. Not my cup of tea, but you will defiantly see some interesting sites.

Suggestions of things to see that are somewhat along your route.

Muscle Shoals/ Florence area: fame recording studio- famous for 60s/70s classic rock, county music ect. Also AL music hall of fame in the area.

Desoto Falls. Somewhere along your route between Florence and Tuscaloosa.

Tuscaloosa: univ of Alabama , there s a football team there, but I don't know much about them

(War Eagle). Check the football schedule as hotels get very pricey and scarce.

Also, Mercedes Benz plant in nearby Vance AL.

Mobile. Beautiful old homes and tree covered streets downtown. Some good restaurants and plenty of bars.

Bayou La Batre. Fictional home of Bubba Gump shrimping

Other beach stuff around mobile and shopping in Daphne.

There is not much along your route from Pensacola to Montgomery but line trees and red dirt.

Just south of Montgomery there is a Hyundai plant.

Other stuff along your route to look up:

Mt Cheaha, Cathedral Caverns, Little River Canyon, Walls of Jericho, Russell Cave,

When is your trip? I live in Huntsville.

Edited by nomad

Oh, I forgot about Talledega super speed way and Alabama motor sports museum. There used to be a conquest in there, as well as a lot of historical race cars.

Also, Barber motorsports park and motor cycle museum near Birmingham.