Engine Storage

Malykaii

Just picked up a 4g64 wideblock core. (can't wait to ditch the g54b, but it won't happen anytime soon)

So how to a store the block in a safe and rust free fashion? Do I remove the crankshaft? (pistons are out) Cover it in motor oil and put it into a garbage bag?

as mentioned above, leave the crank and girdle in as it helps prevent block from warping

(maybe only applies if on a stand with weight supported only from one end)

spray with oil and wrap, you can get mover's plastic wrap rolls at u-haul and probably lots of other places. Or trash bags.

Depends on how long you plan to store it. WD 40 if only for a month in a dry place. WD40 evaporates so it's not a long term solution. When I store my engines long term I coat all the machined surfaces in grease or oil and shrink wrap it. Then a trash bag over that.

So it's going into a storage unit, so dry enough. About one year storage.

Thought about buying a stand, but see your point about warping. On top of a milk crate on the floor should do. Grease and garbage bag.

Should I pop off the main caps and stick grease there too?

The block wont warp if left on a stand for a long time. I've left motors on a stand for more than 3 years without issues.

I've also used stands like this one that bolt to the motor mounts. Great for long term storage without taking up too much space.

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn293/lsxlowtech/IMG_20150906_162900_1.jpg