Speak english

jmactenn

In my travels all Astros the world. The people in our country are behind in language. Leave the United States and you'll see that most people of this world speak two or three languages. Including English. Yet we have people here who get mad when they see a sign in Spanish. Lmao, how stupid.

English has become a second language for many countries around the world especially in tourism and big business sectors.Foreign governments uses it as a window to dealing with much of the world, more so developed nations. Although dialect or tone may be different when spoken, the language is well understood globally.

For the past 300 years, it has been the official language in the U.S. Everything from jazz to the Constitutions ... American culture, pop, rock, rap, the arts, etc, all in English. The nation, language and culture are all interwoven.

Coming here and not making an effort to speak and understand the language is a waste of time. Also, it limits opportunities. Many immigrants speak or understand a foreign language in their homes yet they are fluent in English. This includes Asians, Italians, Arabs, Europeans, Africans, Indians, Latinos, etc.

Feeling insulted when someone says "speak English" depends on the manner in which they utter the words; perhaps, they don't understand what is being said or they are just one of those arrogant people who will never see the light of reality.

About that so called politician... he's pissin a lot of people off with his scapegoat antics.

Edited by DieHARDmitsu.

there is no national language, and why should there be?

people speaks lots of languages, and economics will probably dictate which language will be dominant as time progresses, within the states.

as it stands, most technical information and science information is in english more than it is in spanish in the isa, and english has a different level of flexibility and adapts well to changes and new words. so I suppose english will probably keep its place as dominant but unofficial.

Interesting thought patra. So even as languages and usage may shift away from English in numerous countries, English will linger as an international standardised language for communication in arts and sciences. So over time English will become like Latin.

Interesting thought patra. So even as languages and usage may shift away from English in numerous countries, English will linger as an international standardised language for communication in arts and sciences. So over time English will become like Latin.

I think English is almost already there. I know it is taught in schools in Central America and some part of South America. Most certainly it is taught in the Middle East, at least in the cities. I have family in Central America, they speak English. My kids day care provider was Middle Eastern, born in Honduras and raised in the States, they came here speaking English. I have friends from Kuwait, Jordan, Lebanon, Egypt and other parts of the Middle East and they all came here already fluent in English.

Hell, in Central America, El Salvador they did away with their national currency and switched to US Dollars many many years ago. That should say something about our dominance and presence in the world.

As of 2008 if you want to be a pilot or air traffic controller in any country you must learn English. Around 1/6 of the world speaks English. That's native and second language people numbering around 1.2 billion. Most sites only count native speakers. Only counting native gives you much lower results of around 380 million. So there are more ESL speakers than native. 1/2 of the European Nation speaks English.

English is not dying out it is growing.