Looking for headgasket selection suggestions

Heya guys, I am to a point where I will be buying a new headgasket for my motor. There is nothing wrong with the motor, I am just tearing the long block down to do a check over of the motor before it gets put together with quite a few upgrades and I figured theres no reason not to double check everything before I do that.

My question is this, should I buy a specific head gasket? Is buying an ajusa or other metal headgasket worth the extra cost in higher boost builds? A quick search on ebay found this one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TEP-Steel-Shim-Head-Gasket-G54B-Starion-Dodge-Conquest-Turbo-2-6L-/310363632976?hash=item48431d3550&vxp=mtr

Basically I've always just ran the Fel-Pro one that everyone suggests and have had no problems but since I'm already here I figure I may as well do some research and get some suggestions on what others might suggest for different applications.

Doesnt hurt to spend the extra few on the ajusa. I run 20psi on that head gasket with no failures. Added insurance if you decide to boost it up. Make sure your deck and head are straight. Thats the part that matters the most.

I'm guessing that the flatness of the block and head will matter much more using a metal head gasket. If so I may just put another Fel-Pro on there for the time being simply because I know I am not at a point where I'm willing to pull the block and or head to be decked if it needs it. Yea I know that isn't a good mindset to have necessarily but I'm being honest with myself and you guys lol.

And just so we are on the same page I'm not having an issue with compression at all. I'm just going to have the motor down to a long block while I'm upgrading it and I figure the cost of a headgasket is worth looking over the valves and condition of everything while I'm at that stage.

Edited by speedyquest

also do a re-torque. if you do not retorque it does not matter what gasket you get.

Drive the car around for a week with no boosting. then go back and re-torque.

How do i do it?

I do not loosen, i just tighten to the spec i need in the order specified as per the FSM

I use arp studs with the arp lube and i use it liberally. still plenty there after a week maybe 2 weeks.

I feel the ajusa is best. any properly machined head and block with proper assembly the felpro should be fine.

I had the ajusa on my 88 starion and removed the head.

Cleaned the surface of head and block and reused the ajusa

Gasket. Drove 30,000 miles with the used ajusa. No problems.

That is the exact head gasket I got ucw. My setup isn't O-ringed but I guess I'm curious if re-torquing is necessary. Should I follow the headgasket, fsm, or arp head studs recommendations?

When using ARP bolts use their recommended lube and torque specs. Don't torque them per FSM specs or they will loosen up.

I have ARP bolts but didn't use them in my build. I used stock bolts torqued to 90 ft lbs. Put some miles on it in TBI form but not too many in MPI form. Haven't blown a gasket yet but the plan is to run 30+ psi so I'll see what happens when I get to that point.

The 8770 is a good gasket but the 9116 is better. It has a fire ring built into it. In theory it should hold up to more abuse. But for an o-ringed block the 8770 is better.

Thanks for the comparison information Phil, and yep don't worry I'm aware of what to torque the arp studs to and in what order etc. I was only referring to whether to retorque them after a heat cycle or not.