When to save em and When to part em

Potamus

I am wondering what your thoughts are about when it is time to part a car and what should be saved. I recently purchased an 88 Conquest Fiji 5 speed SHP sunroof car in a local estate auction and I'm on the fence about what to do with it, keep it and restore it or pass it on to some other members to use as a parts car to improve their cars and keep others on the road. I don't want to tell the specifics on the condition of this car as I will make my own decision on it's fate I'm just looking for input to help me make my decision. Now I know this can be a touchy subject for some people so I hope no ones feeling get hurt here. Thanks Edited by Potamus

Parts car !!!!!!! Lol. Just kidding. Kevin. When I got my parts car it was an easy decision. Rusted so bad. But it's hard to tell in your pictures. What the condition truly is. Good luck in what ever you decide.

Excessive rust....more than cosmetic holes in the visible panels. These cars are actually very well coated from the factory and even what appears to be extensive corrosion is usually far from unrepairable. Typically the structural rust is in our rocker panels and the last 1 inch of the floorboards next to the rocker panel pinch joint. Plus the obvious frame rail rot. All of these structural corrosion issues are fairly easy fixes especially in that our rockers are covered by the quarter flares and under door panel trim. Ie the repair doesn't have to be pretty

All visible rust on our cars is pretty much just cosmetic. The challenge is replicating the flaring with sheet metal due the lack of replacement panels.

Besides extensive corrosion I would consider a former wreck a key decision especially if it is now combined with corrosion. I should have listened to my own advise before I restored my car. It was formerly wrecked and despite countless hours if work, it still isn't "right".

I don't consider any type of mechanical problem as justification to scrap. Especially being that these cars are so popular with drivetrain swaps

I have parted two conquests over the years. One in which I totaled by rear ending a jeep. The second was previously stripped for parts although it was salvageable but had a firmer front end collision.

A gang rust of rust would be the deal breaker for me. 8 years ago I know I sent one to the crusher that should have been saved. It haunts me til day.

Other than rust would be a gang of DMV fees, like $1000+

Hey thanks for the input rust is the major issue with this car but Kev makes it sound like my rust problems are nothing out of the ordinary, inch of the drivers floor pan that meets the pinch weld for about a foot and a half and holes in the drivers quarter panel, rockers are good and the drivers frame rail is good, passengers side frame rail has a hole or 2 but appears to be slightly better than my white Starion's passenger frame rail. The car has a few dents and dings but under the hood is 100% original put hasn't ran in 10-15 years. So I'm leaning towards keeping her and restoring and keeping it 100% stock.

I had a 87 conquest 5spd with sunroof, most common of all of the years, and it was a new england car (read: rust belt). The whole thing was rotted out and the interior was all mildewy and ruined, car would not start but was mostly complete. That one went to the junkyard, but driving past the car on a back road for 5 years leading up to when I got my license was what got me into these cars to begin with. If it weren't for buying that car and later junking it, I probably wouldn't be on this forum or own one of these awesome cars today :).

Rust has to be the biggest issue. Some people can tackle that, but a lot of us can't.

The important thing about crushing a car is to get the usable stuff off of it. When I swapped my first car into a rust free shell I sent some stuff to the crusher i now regret; the LSD and torque tube, the foot/face, power steering gearbox...

I haven't bought a car in five years and am getting antsy. I think I might buy a parts car to strip just to get it out of my system.