Studs on manifold to turbo wont come out

questtuner82

Ok so ive tried everything and cant get the manifold studs out for the turbo. Turbo is off and this is an extra uncracked and stress relieved manifold. Mine is cracked and warped so i want to put this on with my new turbo. The studs are in poor shape and need to come out. Ive heated the manifold cherry red at the stud area and sprayed freeze off around the studs and used a pipewrench but they wont budge. Ive tried the heat and wax trick that is commonly used on manifold studs and still no movement. The manifold was sprayed everyday with deep creep fir a month and i cannot for the life of me get them out. At the point where im going to cut them drill them out and tap it but really dont want to do that. Also the studs seem to be stainless which isnt a good idea to use on manifolds or alot of heated areas. Any suggestions before surgery is required? Lol

I'm guessing the threads on each are destroyed? Because two things I could think of is either A: tightening two nuts against each other and using those to pull the stud or B: threading a bit onto the stud and then tack welding it to the stud and using that.

Don't drill them fast. Slow for hardened materials is the only way. If you can get the correct sized LEFT HANDED drill bit, that will be better. As it cuts and heats up the rest of the studs, it may spin them free. Use lots of penetrating lubricant. I prefer Ballistol, but liquid wrench, or something similar will work. Drill them with a small bit first, 1/8 inch or so, all the way through, then use the correct bit for the tap thread pitch. I've dealt with a few mains with this exact problem and this was the best method I have come up with. Heat is your friend here too. A propane torch can get the rust burnt out to some extent. Hope that helps get you in the right direction.

BC_99

I have a love/hate relationship with stainless steel fasteners, you're on the hate part. As BC says, slow with plenty of fluid and get several bits. I've used the left handed thing too, it does help.

Ok so idk what kind of studs these are bc i tried 4 different bits and the last bit was a tungsten steel high speed bit. All only left a small mark in tbe studs. This is using an 1/8" bit also. Using cutting oil also with all bits and a slow speed air drill. I even decided to take it to the shop and use my end mill with a boring bit and it wont even penetrate the stud. I swear they are made of titanium.

I had the same issue. What I did was soak the hell out of it with PB blaster my friend told Me I it works and swore by it. I ignored his advice for a week then tried it. Soaked the area for 1 day. Tapped the top of the studs with a hammer and soaked it. Did it a few times before the next day and got a good hefty set of vise grips and they can off. Hope this works for u as well

Heating them made them harder, seek out a tool and die shop with an EdM that can burn them out, sometimes not even hurting threads.

Dad

Any specific drill bits to use??? Ive tried all the good and cheap bits and they all smoke really fast even at low speed and plenty of cutting oil. And i dont have the money to take it to a machine shop to get it done. Do u think i can burn them out with a plasma cutter and not destroy the manifold

50/50 ATF and Acetone. Heat the part and then soak it as long as possible. Low and slow on a drill press(if possible) with HSS drill bits or Cobalt. Step your bits starting with 1/8" and work up to 5/16". Hammer in your 1/4" easy out and get those mofos!