Painless Wiring

Turbo Cary

Anyone ever converted the whole electrical system in our cars to a new harness? I am not afraid to do electrical work on my car and considered getting a painless wiring kit when I strip my car down. I'd like to do a major wire tuck in the future and to me this would be one of the easiest ways.

Most MPI systems I have seen have a new fuse/relay box wired in for running it and I would like the best opinion on setting it up. My factory harness is really old. Wires get corrosion, insulation cracks/becomes brittle. I figured I could make a short harness that comes from where the factory ecu is and runs through the A/C grommet, over the trans and under the manifold would keep that hidden.

The body harness could help me place everything in the back. Put the relays/fuse panel where my jack tools go.

Or is this just a big waste of time and I should keep my factory harness and tuck/renew it another way?

• Like 1

If you're willing to take the time and make a clean install, and have the money to do it, then I say go for it.

so many of us do other things to these old cars Wiring would be a plus and piece of mind that nothing electrical will be a problem. Pics and a write up would be a bonus for us all

I have. I used a jegs universal kit cause I couldn't afford the painsless. Made everything super simple. It does take time, and doing a stock conquest engine would be over my head. But it's also a huge weight savings and far easier to work on.

Well the painless kit had all wires labeled from what it said online. Such as headlight L beam + or - etc.

It was a 28 circut harness with fuse/relay box prewired. When I installed my 88/89 harness I de-pinned stuff I wasnt using such as the egr,wastegate solenoid. I took about 10 to 20 feet of wire out and reloomed it. I debated using new connectors on all the parts but didnt know where to get them. I did run three wires for the GM maf as part of it to give it a factory look.

Do y'all know where to buy replacement female/male connectors to work with factory switches?

On a second note when I had mentioned passing through the A/C grommet, Painless makes a bulkhead connector kit. I think it would be sweet to use that for the engine harness. That way when you pull the engine all you need to do is undo one connector and take the harness out with the motor.