So, who sells Delphi injectors? Only Trilogy Turbos????

BandY

Bandy you really really need to read the 84-86 suplimental fuel manual

it does a much better job of explaining how the fuel system works

the thing on the fire wall is super important it is a boost/ pressure sensor

it's job is to set the main fuel mixture according to engine load and being properly connected to proper vac port is a must

Ok, time for an update. Those Trilogy Injectors were a complete waste of money. I took them back out of the throttle body, and i threw in a L injector and an M injector. Car is supposed to run on two J injectors, but let me just say that this is the very best it's run since I've owned it. It idles perfectly, and pulls me into the seat, until the clutch starts slipping. I knew that I was using ridiculous amounts of clutch when it wasn't running right. So now i need a clutch, but that's fine. I'm just glad that good injectors made all of the problems disappear. I was even happy to get gas. I should put my other '86 back together, since i now know why it was running so terribly. Edited by BandY

I'm thinking you have a converted 86 to 87 or partialy converted system

That's a possibility.

For the OP,

Round 4 pin mass connector is 83-86. Rectangular 6 pin connector is 87-89. 87-89 also don't have a map sensor on the drivers side firewall. People have swapped 87-89 harnesses in the older cars.

i'l try to give you a quick test to see what system you have ,, 86 fires ibjs 1.2.1.2 87 up fires , outside inj only during low rpm , inside (sec inj does not fireuntill2krpm'sortpssee'squickmovement

well keys won'tspaceout\

sorry

The thing is you say you have an 86. But with 86 injectors (J or H 850cc x2) it runs badly. You put in 87+ injectors (L 650cc & M 1050cc) and the car runs great. Either you have an 87+ car or an 86 with an 87+ harness. 83-86 fires both injectors simultaneously while 87-89 have a primary and secondary. Secondary comes on under boost. So putting 86 injectors in an 87+ car will cause it to be really rich in low speed and lean under boost.

What is the date of manufacture on the metal tag in the drivers door?

I figure that if it's still squirting both objectors, the cc's can't be off all that much. 1700 as opposed to what? 1660? Sounds pretty close to me. Edited by BandY

• 3 weeks later...
Bought trilogy injectors for my car a week ago. Won't even start with them. I also have an 86. Started before but would fall on its face when you stomped on the gas hard. Also the injectors had cracks in them. One was black and one was green. I have the same build date as you as well.

I ordered the adjustable fuel pressure regulator from trilogy turbo. I recall reading somewhere that these injectors need more pressure than the stock ones to flow the same rate. I know it needs more fuel because if I cycle the key a few time without starting it, so it gets loaded up with fuel, it runs great but only for a few seconds.

Aftermarket injectors are rated flow in cc @ 43.5 PSI. Stock SQ fuel pressure when not in boost is about 36 PSI. Your typical aftermarket 87-89 650cc/950cc combo will flow 591/864 on SQ fuel pressure. 84-86 850cc aftermarkets will flow 773cc. You could get larger injectors but they may now flow what's needed when you go into boost. Possibly the best compromise when using aftermarket injectors is to also use an aftermarket fuel pressure regulator set to 43.5 PSI.

What I've found with the Delphi's is that they do like 45 PSI in the fuel rail to idle happily, but at the same time I ended up leaning the car out with the MAF translator under full throttle to keep it from flooding under boost. With everything in the MAF-T zeroed out, they would flood the car under boost no matter what the fuel pressure was. They are 650 and 1000cc, pretty close to stock size but behave nothing like the stockers. Ability to tune fuel (not just pressure) is really recommended if you go with them.