Dead miss after new head install

chris1

I just finished installing a new non jet valve head, Ajusa gasket, and arp studs on my 87 starion. Rebuilt the throttle body, and did pretty maximal vacuum deletes based on write ups found here.

The injectors are not stock and require spacers in the TB to accommodate their increased height.

The car has a dead miss now that is unaffected when #2 and #4 plug wires are removed although they are both getting plenty of spark.

Can you guys give me some ideas of where to start looking?

I have brand new plugs in. I cut my compression gauge in half to build a tool to pressurize the cylinders while I replaced valve stem seals a while back so I'll have to pick up another one before I can check compression. I did, however, pressurize cylinder 4 and it held...

It has hydraulic lifters. I did some searching on here and found mention of hyd. lifters holding a valve open if they weren't compressed fully before reinstalling. I'm guessing my problem is there.

Thank you randy. I'm confident that's where I went wrong. I paid almost no attention to my lifters at all during the install. As soon as I get my twins down for a nap I'm heading back out to the shop to re-assess. I'll post back once the lifters have been properly addressed. Edited by chris1

I have brand new plugs in.

Doesn't matter. I built a v8 once that ran like crap when I got it going. I found 3 of the plugs were cracked. Changed the plugs and the motor purred. It may not be your issue but it's worth looking at.

Soooo 120 psi on the nose on all four cylinders, no visible defects or damage on the plugs.

I did notice white residue on plugs from cylinders 1&3. Is there anything that could restrict fuel delivery to specific cylinders??

Oh. Man. How's that saying go? Better to keep quiet and have everyone think you're an idiot than to speak and remove all doubt? Hope I never have to see any of you in person! How embarrassing. Thank you guys, she's purring like a kitten!

I have not heard that saying, but it's a funny one. Don't sweat it. We all mess up simple stuff from time to time.

Years ago when I worked in an auto parts store I had a female co-worker who did simple tasks for customers on the side. Little stuff like changing batteries and simple repairs. Well she called me one time to help her get a car running. She changed the wires, cap and rotor on a v6 and it wouldn't start. She claimed she changed one wire at a time so she didn't mess it up. When I looked at it only 2 plug wires were in the right place.

Thank you guys for all of your time and answers. I have a buddy's engine he bought already rebuilt sitting on an engine stand in my shop. Why I referenced that as opposed to the shop manual laying next to it when attempting to determine firing order I'll never know. Especially with how bad it was missing! Oh well.

Of course we got like 2 inches of ice as soon as I finished it up!

Edited by chris1

• 2 weeks later...