16g or 20g

Ive been searching on google to figure out which turbo would better suit my goal,which is achieving 300whp on TBI. Some say the 16g is capable of such power, some say its not. Many say its achievable with the 20g but needs much more supporting mods than the 16g will need. Also in most of my search, its said the 20g will lag much more, getting full boost between 3500~4200rpm, but these figures are on a 2.0 liter motor. The G54B being a 2.6, will these figures be different in terms of hp and boost lag? My car will be used more on the street as a daily, also frequently on the track doing time attack, auto-x, maybe some drifting, about 4 to 5 track days a year....maybe more.

Rebuilt G54B motor (stock)

CX racing fmic & 2.5" piping

1G MAS

walbro 255lph fuel pump

tomei FPR

rebuilt stock injectors (flow tested and cleaned)

full 3" exhaust

big 16g turbo (which I already have)

Apexi SAFC II

Is 300whp achievable with the big 16g @15-20 psi with these supporting mods? Im really on the fence as to which turbo to go with since alot of people say they're both good streetable turbos

Edited by doomviillain

You're not gonna do it on stock size injectors. You need bigger ones and a way to tune them.

Chrisviper did 337 on a TD05H 18g with extra injectors and a greddy fuel controller.

Edited by ucw458

You're not gonna do it on stock size injectors. You need bigger ones and a way to tune them.

He said he has safc... isnt that how he would tune? Just get bigger injectors and dial them in, no? Or am I missing something?

I also think 300hp isnt realy going to happen. Going to take alot more than just bolting on a bigger turbo and injectors.

I plan on dialing in a cam but id like to dyno it before putting the cam in so see the power gains. I also need to do additional research on which cam would give me the best street performance instead of just buying any one, I've heard some cams can kill power with the wrong set up. So bigger sized injectors and some head work. What else is missing

So 300 isnt a realistic figure on tbi or at least with my setup, at least now i know which turbo to stick with.

So now that the dream number is shot, is at least 260 at the wheels possible with a schneider spings & 274 cam @ 20 psi? Anyone have dyno sheets with a similar setup?

I think you will be happy with the tdo5h big 16g. When the fuel pressure cranked up 260 should be attainable a 20plus psi. I do not thin I would drive it set on kill every day though.

The 1g mas may be a problem, so you may need upgrade that as well. And of course a wide band afr gauge.

Edited by StarquestRescue

The 1g mas may be a problem, so you may need upgrade that as well. And of course a wide band afr gauge.

I have an AEM wideband and greddy profec boost controller. Both boost and afr's will be monitored

I wish you could have made a post earlier about the 1g mas being a problem, I just paid to get one shipped yesterday -_-

I guess the 2g mas would be a better alternative

Edited by doomviillain