Weight reduction

stariondreams

The doors weight roughly 60lbs if I remember correctly. Do NOT gut your doors unless you have nascar bars for you cage. Super dangerous. The rear hatch with the wing is well under 50lbs, and considering your still running the stock engine, you dont want to lose any weight in the rear. Relocate your battery if you haven't already. You really need to focus on the front half of the car. The dash stuff is super heavy, take off the lid from the glove box...its stupid. The complete wiring harness weights over 30lbs, but you need it for your stock engine. A car under 2600#s isnt impossible, but its not going to be a car you'll want to spend any amount of time in.

Thanks John,

I'm still new to TT's and HC's so I don't know what the average run time is, looking at the Chasing The Dragon videos it appears that the drivers are in the car for up to 20 minutes per heat. I didn't want to do it at first, but I think this car is going to be a trailer queen mostly. I do plan on getting ladder-bars or X-bars for the doors but for now will hold off as I don't want to worry about things like that until I'm actually competing. No sense in worrying about completing the cage if my performance and driving aren't up to spec yet.

Here's where the car sits now . . .I haven't completely pulled the dash and components yet because I have no idea how I'll mount the gauges and other essential buttons for operation.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a63/nightmajik/The%20Epic%20Conquest/20140325_143803_zps16a30da4.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a63/nightmajik/The%20Epic%20Conquest/20140325_143944_zps6c6c6400.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a63/nightmajik/The%20Epic%20Conquest/20140325_144008_zpse32dddc3.jpg

Short of making a lightweight dash, similar to how you've done it, I don't know what to do.

Convert your fogs into driving lights. Then remove popup motors and light assy's. Turn the pass side popup into an air inlet.

If you have a halo, why no door bars? Dump all that climate control.

lexan lexan lexan

Go for light weight on your cage too.... chrommolly but you will have to get a special certificaiton since the bars are going to be much smaller then stock spec for what you want to run. Otherwise they just look at the bars and say to small not knowing they are chrommolly.

You can pull that little box in the trunk just behind that cross beam between the strut towers if you've deleted ABS, its the ABS G-meter.

Also, behind where the glovebox used to be, there's a black box labeled 612, that's the AC evaporator, pull that out and replace it with a non-AC duct or make something quick if you're retaining heat.

You can probably remove the hatch struts as well, just bring a piece of broom stick with you, lol.

• Like 1

I'll take a look at that evap box and get rid of the g-meter. I have deleted the ABS so I guess that's next.

Convert your fogs into driving lights. Then remove popup motors and light assy's. Turn the pass side popup into an air inlet.

If you have a halo, why no door bars? Dump all that climate control.

lexan lexan lexan

Lexan will get ordered in that case. The cage was fabbed and didn't include door bars. Didn't really need em for Time Trials so I didn't bother, but I'm going to go ahead and get them welded in. My fabricator is a beast.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Anyone come up with new ideas to save more weight? Im curious about what i can get away with and what i wont be able to do to save as much weight as possible while still being streetable.

• 1 month later...

Fidanza flywheel saves 20+ lbs of rotating mass nonetheless. Spool that sucka.

Also kill the balance shafts.

Shave down that crank to a knife-edge, save a few more lbs., ha

P90X, gym membership, and running shoes to trim up self.

Lose 20 lbs. of fat in 30 days by killing off dairy, empty carbs, and fruits: http://fourhourworkweek.com/2007/04/06/how-to-lose-20-lbs-of-fat-in-30-days-without-doing-any-exercise/

Go faster AND beat up those ignorant street racers talking smack.

In all seriousness GL w/ the build.