88 Mitsi Starion - Rust in Peace - Hopefully not

Flying Scotsman

Ok, here goes. I am posting some pictures of my lovely Mitsi and I am hoping that unlike the title say's she will NOT rust in peace. I took hold of her last autumn and like most older cars, they seem good on the face of it, only when you strip them down does it become apparent that they are not as good as they seem. So here are some pre stripped pics to get the ball rolling. I have not stripped her down completely yet be will do. I have bought a mig welder and have been carrying out the 3 P's . . . . practice, practice and practice. If I feel confident enough I will tackle the job myself, otherwise will go to someone I know for the bodywork.

:D not a sidewalk, front garden lol, not mine though, was chap that I bought it off. The rust is: passenger outer & inner cill (rail), scuttle panel (panel under windscreen), rusted at seem where it meets bulkhead and also inner wings (fenders). As I mentioned will try to load up some pics but will not let me, maybe because im the other side of the pond :P

Hmmm. Well good luck to you! Imctually in the process of trying to get the "scuttle panel" to a guy in NZ. Lol.

Maybe. Hope you can get them up soon. There's plenty of guys on here that can give welding tips. I am not one of them. hahah. I'm sure Burton and a bloke from NZ or Australi could help. I'll see if I can find his screen name. He did a lot of custom work with welding.

- Charles

Seen way worse Jimmy , check the frame rails underneath , gie them a gentle tappity , tap, tap with a small hammer , the car itself looks to be in good overall condition . Edited by SOTTY

Trying to upload some more pics from photo bucket that would give a better idea of the tin worm issues. Hopefully this link will work

Thanks for all the comments guys, I don't think she is too bad myself but this being my first Starion it's hard for me to say. That's where this site and you guys come in, cause you have all had more experience with them and know whether she is a peach or rotten as a pair.

The biggest issues I think are:-

Scuttle panel

Passenger outer / inner cill

There are some holes throught both inner wings (fenders) but not to bad

Have'nt taken the paint of the rear arches yet so time will tell with them.

Underneath seems pretty good, solid in fact, chassis legs are good, have been told they can go at the front.

Early stages yet but doesn't seem to bad, could be a lot worse I think