wow is the quest dangerous in the snow

jszucs

I moved to Texas to get away from all that. So far so good for the most part.

I have a great visual of you in golf spikes pushing a car up the drive. Did you have your Rodney Dangerfield pants on?

hahah nope. I coudn't get traction in my boots. First I layed a towel down and it worked but froze to the ice where I steped and I couldn't keep moving it. It's also been too cold for salt to work :( think it was like 10 last night.

say what you want but driving a quest can't be any worse then driving a 68 RR during winter

Totaly... you guys use to have skinny mini tires, and even your "performace" treds were not as temp specific compounds as summer only UHP of today. I'm taking rears and fronts at almost 12" accross so any snow they just float on it. You also had the advantage of weight unless you were acid dipping all the pannels till they flapped like they were made out of tin foil going down the strip.

Edited by jszucs

I drove mine for two winters, it actually did really good for being RWD but with it being a flatty i had narrower all season tires (195's) and i did put some weight in the back... and i did chain it up a few times, yup i had chains for the back tires gotta love Oregon winters at 4800 feet. Caved the metal air dam in once pushing 5 inches of slush, lol.

let me tell you snow is no worse then rain and clay , many years ago Matt and Luke Tainter came down here on vacation and it naturally had to have a down pour , of course our road was a mess , their car could not move, the tire tread would pack with clay and it may as well been an ice wheel on water, getting them the mile back to the main road was a real adventure

LOL ya it was bad..... On that same trip going back to MI we drove in to a bad snow storm. Was going 5-10 mph on the interstate. I would say had MIN 2-3 mile back up due to us. WE could not let it idle had to keep pushing the clutch in and trying to coast. Got off at first place we could. WE TRIED to take a left hand turn but the Slope of the center of the road was to steep we had to get out and push it. Waited about 6hrs before we tried to move. That was with 245/45 summer only tires and super stiff clutch.

Snowquest on 265 Kumho XS rears.

I did have to have a bit of momentum to get into the parking lot. The cruise was with the local AWD car club. I know folks in it and decided to come along. Not noubt though the AWDs plowed through the ice and snow better than my lowered 'Quest. Certainly not the best snow car out there that day, but I made it and overall didn't have much excitement. A few AWD folks got in trouble, all because of a lack of caution and overconfidence in their machines.

1466074_10200161181711680_1977575670_n.jpg

1483058_10200161181391672_1791588052_n.jpg

1479151_776014855747600_261233205_n.jpg

If you love your Starquest as much as I do, put it in the garage if you get lots of snow and below freezing temps ;)

Bill

I do maybe more. was just letting stored cars warm up to temp and check them over. Like to move them just a bit to, it keeps flat spots down and moves some fluid. Was only trying it on the driveway.

Edited by jszucs