The Nerve of dgcanales90

importdriver88

As you may or may not know, i have sold more than a few rebuilt 16g, s16g and 14b turbos to members on this forum. The last 14b turbo transaction is the one of topic. Member pm's me with interest on 14b turbo, then a little time goes by. So i contact him to see what up. I get story about his kid ending up in hospital, i said "cool- i will hold the turbo for you". More time goes by, so i contact him again. He now had to wait for the end of the week. The 14b turbo gets sold on 25 October 2013. Mind you i posted the turbo on 12 September 2013. I didn't hear anything until 26 November 2013, that he hears a siren sound coming from the turbo. So i reply to him the same day, that the check and may sure that the v clamp is on straight and tight. If it's on crooked the turbine wheel will rub. I didn't hear from him until 3 December 2013 that the car is not boosting and he wants his money back. Will i try to copy and plaste your pm's from this date.

on 03 December 2013 - 06:28 PM, said:

Contacting you about the turbo I just pick up my car from the shop. I took it to a licensed mechanic that specializes in these cars. Well he told the turbo is no good dose not boost for nothing. The car runs good but the turbo no Boost. so I don't know what to do this is my daily driver this car getting from here and there helps me get around pick up my son I'm been lucky enough to my moms left out of town for the month and she left me her car that's what I've been using. so please contact me back to see what we can do to see if you can give me my money back and I'll be gladly to return the turbo back to you. so I really need invest in a Turbo I could get into my car ASAP. I never have a lot of time to work on my car so I always take to this guy cause he owns 3 starion and a lot of people down here know him. So please contact when you can

My reply to him the same day

I'm trying to understand what going on. You buy the turbo, than i don't hear from you for a while. When you do contacted me you only stated that there was a sirne sound coming from the turbo. I quickly replyed back to you, that to check the v clamp to make sure it is not on crooked. Again a little time go by without hearing from you telling me that fix the problem or not. Now you contact me saying turbo doesn't boost. I have sold a handful of turbo here, alway rebuilt the turbos in the same manner. You have had this turbo for over a month. You will be the first to have something wrong. Not saying that it's not possible. I'll tell you what- ship the turbo to me so that i can have the turbo checked. If there is something wrong, it will be fixed and i will pay you back for your shipping plus send it back to you. If there is nothing wrong with it, you pay for both shippings to and from. That's the best i can do, to work with you. I have no idea in what condition that your car is in to just blame the turbo or to know what you did. Let me know.

Sent Yesterday, 02:49 PM

I took the car to the shop when he installed it I went the car turn but never drove it. The noise was that wastegate flat Stayed open every was put in correctly. I need to pay the guy so I can get my car back had to come up with the money. When I pick it up that's when we drove it to see how it runs. I'm always busy I work 2 jobs and take care of my boy. OK so if there's something wrong with are you going to return my money back like I said I need a Turbo asap it's my only car.

importdriver88 today date

What do you guys think? Will i know that not having boost is because of the wastegate staying opened. That is not the turbo, that is the turbo actuator problem. Wow over one month ago.

Now he open up a dispute case.

Edited by importdriver88

Its hard to say what you should do. As a automotive technician I feel you are 100% right in the way you are handling the situation. I say this because I was in a similar situation.

Customer comes to my shop asking for struts to be replaced on a Pontiac aztek. No big deal. While doing the PMA I noticed the right front abs wires going to the hub had been spliced together with electrical tape and wires twisted. Customer was notified and work continued. ABS light was not on when car arrived

We offered to try to fix the wires properly with heat shrink and solder. She was informed the light could come on regardless of the repair unless a new hub bearing was purchased. (It was spliced on the part side of the harness, GM hub bearings are one peice with the abs sensor and spindle built in.)

Struts were replaced no issues. Wires were fixed at no charge. There was no drivability complaint at all. Four days later the ABS light comes on. She does not call our shop. She does not come by. Instead she goes to another shop where they claimed I broke the wires during strut installation and that BOTH hub bearings were bad with broken wires (900 dollar repair bill)

She then takes my shop to small claims court. Claiming 1200 dollars. For her time and repairs etc. This is 8 months when we were served. The manager at the time her work was performed left. So my market manager sends me (the tech) to court to fight it. They claimed I was incapable of performing work correctly, no training, etc.

I pulled out my ase certifications as well as u.t.I paperwork showing I had graduated. The judge ruled in favor of them. Simply because my old manager never noted on their receipt that the part was broken before service. The plaintiff even stated she had been informed before hand of the wire issue.

All I can say to you is have your ducks in a row if the member becomes a problem. Do you have any warranty paperwork? Can you get fellow members who have transacted with you to give statements as well as purchase dates?

This guy claiming its a bad turbo has terrible grammar if you had cut/pasted from the messages. Which also means he probably doesn't know a thing about cars. I think it is good you offered to inspect/repair the product. Its not as simple as a clamp or piece of plastic. There are other things you should ask him too. Did he replace the oil lines? Is his coolant hooked up/flushed properly? Did he run higher than stock boost levels? Does he have other exhaust modifications that could hinder or help performance.

When I had GPop shop upgrade my turbo their warranty states oil lines must be replaced as well as new oil coolant etc.

Having owned my own shop for several years i always made sure to document anything i saw as being a potential problem and making the customer sign to it. It took a few extra minutes to do this and was worth the time as it was at least a form that showed the car owner was aware that other problems existed that they did'nt want to address. Thats all good and fine for a shop,however the guy with your turbo is a different type,as his first red flag was not having the money when he initially contacted you. At this point i don't wait as its a clear sign of trouble. Its the same when i sell a car,a house, or any thing else, either your serious and have the money, or you dont. Im not a bank, your parents,or your shrink,the next person in line gets what i have to offer.I've even refused to sell something if i detect hesitation knowing its an indication of trouble ahead. That being said,he agreed to buy the turbo, you agreed to look at it,he pays shipping to you, you pay shipping to him,done. Not being harsh, just too many years of dealing with idiots can make you a bit cynical. Ive bought many items from members on this site, and have not had a problem.

I tried reading this @ work... & was have'n a bit of a tough time, & ran out of time to respond. I don't think this is an issue of "a shop, commercial sale" or performed work here. If not mistaken we're talking about a personal sale, here @ starquestclub correct? Was there any implied warranty, or "as is?" I find it difficult to understand the time lapses, as well as taking things elsewhere after the 1st response given regarding the V band? To much time, to many other hands upon the item. Too many "Ifs" regarding a 25 yr. old car, & what could have occurred?

I think you're being fair. As I said: the time issue, & not responding back to you, having other work performed causes problems for me. Either he sends it back for your inspection, looking for obvious damage issues, if nothing is wrong, or owner/repair caused issues... it's his, & he pays for shipping. ;) ( I feel for the guy, his plight... do what you would want done by you)

Sounds too fishy to me. I'd stand firm on the "send it back so I can inspect it" thing. If he follows through with his PP claim and refuses to work with you plaster his name here so the entire club knows not to do any business with him. Then maybe his "licensed mechanic" will find him another turbo to tear up.

I' m not a shop, this was a personal sale. Well, i'm not here to judge any member based on their grammar. I just want to help the community in my own small way. Help some members that want to do some upgrades to their cars. Yes, i saw that in the beginning he didn't have the money. When he gave me the story about his kid, i just wanted to help him out. How, even why, would you take your car to a shop if you don't even have the money to pay the mechanic- as he stated. If his mechanic saw that the flapper was staying opened and let say that the actuator was bad. Why not just simply use the actuator off of the 12A turbo that the car had. I feel that he just needs to get his hands on some money and this is what he decided to do. Just want to thank the members that have put in their input ( replies ) on this. Edited by importdriver88

If he drove it a month before contacting you about noise, then the issue was caused by him or his driving habits. I'd also like to know where he found a certified mechanic that specializes on these cars.

In my opinion, it is all on him now. I wouldn't refund him anything.

Jimmy

• Like 1

I' m not a shop, this was a personal sale. Well, i'm not here to judge any member based on their grammar. I just want to help the community in my own small way. Help some members that want to do some upgrades to their cars. Yes, i saw that in the beginning he didn't have the money. When he gave me the story about his kid, i just wanted to help him out. How, even why, would you take your car to a shop if you don't even have the money to pay the mechanic- as he stated. If his mechanic saw that the flapper was staying opened and let say that the actuator was bad. Why not just simply use the actuator off of the 12A turbo that the car had. I feel that he just needs to get his hands on some money and this is what he decided to do. Just want to thank the members that have put in their input ( replies ) on this.

since he said he had a shop install it, how do you know the shop didnt clock the turbo wrong and inturn having the gate loosened?

sounds to me like this "certified for our cars" tech knows nothing of them.

If he drove it a month before contacting you about noise, then the issue was caused by him or his driving habits. I'd also like to know where he found a certified mechanic that specializes on these cars.

In my opinion, it is all on him now. I wouldn't refund him anything.

Jimmy

im with Jimmy on this, the guy would have noticed it after it was installed, hell the tech should have test drove the car at that time.

also as you had said, you dont know the condition of his engine, for all you know he might be one of those guys running 5w30 oil and almost no oil pressure. hell how do you know he didnt run it with the wastegate unhooked and destroyed the wheel

It's obvious your intentions are and have been nothing but good from the start and the buyer knows nothing about these cars if he's taking it to a "mechanic" to have it installed , his mechanic being certified don't mean squat ! , iv'e had a few SQ's thru my hands over many years which have been at mechanic shops only to see obvious problems ignored and guess what they ALWAYS blame !,

the TURBOCHARGER !?!

if your buyer is so hell bent on pointing the finger at you then why hasn't he returned the turbo to you for inspection? that's the first thing any buyer i know would do , i feel your pain man speaking as a long time parts slinger and actions like this are a real kick in the groin when all you are about is trying to help and hook a fellow owner up.

I bet there is nothing wrong with the turbo you built , something going on here that isn't right , INSIST he returns the turbo back to you for inspection.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, i didn't want to say much more before because the case was being handled with Paypal. Paypal told him to ship the turbo back to me on Dec.9th, and that i must receive the turbo no later than Dec.20th. Long story short, he mailed it out on Dec.16th. The package was playing ping pong all over the place. On Dec. 21th. i see the USPS truck go pass my address, so i go over to the truck. I asked about my package and he tells me " its been hard to find you because the shipping label was incorrect ". He put down the wrong address, this would have gone back to him if i didn't go over to the truck. Well, the box looks like its been through hell. Opened the box to see very little packing material to protect the turbo. Now, i notice that the turbine wheel and compressor wheel are not the same ones the turbo had on. I had a td05h turbine wheel on, it now has a 12a turbine wheel, even the nut is different. The compressor wheel looks like it rubbed on a housing before. The actuator is also different, granted this one is paint free, he kept the banjo bolts and a stub. Without a thought kept the internals too, because there is play. There no need for me to send this turbo back to get tested and checked for a problem that he was claiming it had. You can plainly see what you was up to and is all about. Here are some pic's to compare the turbo that i posted and sold back on Sept.12th. You can clearly see the different number stamped on the back of turbine wheels. I zoom in on the original pic that i posted, and you can see a number 2 there. Where as the turbine wheel that he sent me is stamped 751 and is a 12a wheel. Me, personally will not do business ever again with him. --At your own risk-- Oh, his name is dgcanales90

What he sent me--------------------------------------------------- 751 stamped on his wheel

http://imageshack.us/a/img841/3817/pjxu.jpg http://imageshack.us/a/img854/9414/mr5m.jpg

My original posted pic

http://imageshack.us/a/img843/5339/v42r.jpg

Zoom in pic of my original, you can see a number 2 -------------------------------- My original compressor pic

http://imageshack.us/a/img14/5488/giqj.jpg http://imageshack.us/a/img545/9959/iy2z.jpg

What he sent me ---------------------------------------------- Actuator he sent me- mine was painted up

http://imageshack.us/a/img809/1470/unvb.jpg http://imageshack.us/a/img46/3540/5w8e.jpg

Edited by importdriver88

Document everything you have just posted here and send it on to paypal claims resolution. He will lose.

BC_99

Yes Sir, I did that right away. How the hell is he going to swap out my td05h parts, and replace it with td05 part and damage compressor part. I'm not blind so i don't know what was he thinking. Thanks Edited by importdriver88

• 2 weeks later...
Well dgcanales90 lost the case. It's sad that there is always someone trying to get over. This is a car club, a community of poeple that share a common interest. I feel that there should be a required tolerance or some kind of rules. Enforce rules that will keep members from doing the wrong things.To have any dishonest member kick out of the club. I can see having misunderstandings, but when someone actually steals something from another member. That is crossing the line. We are here to help one another, to keep our cars going for as long as we can. Well, just wanted the say my peace. Happy New Year to all!

Valuable lesson learned for the rest of us about that specific member. Im sorry it happened to you, but Im glad it worked out for you in the end. Thank you for sharing, as this kind of thing is one of the reasons for the feedback forum.

BC_99

Edited by BC_99

• 1 month later...

He has tried to get over me too. this was back in july. I sent him a payment for a radiator on july 24th. He said he would have it shipped out within 3 days. Didnt hear from him until about august 14th when i opened a case with paypal.That whole time i was texting and calling the guy to get an update/try to get my money back.

Once the case was opened and he finally replied, he gave me an excuse about him being out of the country because he had lost a loved one. I called BS then, and after reading this thread, he's still BSing! I ended up winning and getting my $ back. IDK why stuff like this doesnt show up on paypal accounts or get them banned?

I shouldve said something about the a*************** then, but im not on here often and never seen anything bad said about him, so i didnt bother.

Do NOT deal with this guy. As you can see all he will do is try and rip you off..

Glad you won your case too. I hate reading about s**t like this happening.