IGNITION CUTS OUT AT 30% THROTTLE

hayhay5208

I BLEW A FUEL LINE AND THERE WAS A FIRE ON THE DRIVER SIDE OF THE ENGINE BAY. I HAVE REPLACED SENSORS THAT GOT DAMAGED AND REPAIRED WIRES AS WELL. CAR RUNS BUT NOW IS HARD TO START WHEN COLD. (NO IGNITION) AFTER TRYING FOR A BIT IT STARTS. BUT RUNS ROUGH UNTIL IT WORMS UP. WHEN IT WORMS ITS RUNS OK BUT AT 30% THROTTLE LOOSE IGNITION.IF U GUYS HAVE ANY IDES LET ME KNOW.

THANKS

HAYHAY5208

I'm just a newbie bro, but when my RPM would cut off at 3,000, it wouldn't go any higher, it was my MAF-S. I had recently replaced my air filter and I apparently hadn't connected it back correctly, so althought the meter was reading, it wasn't reading correctly. I just disconnected it and connected it right, and she boosted and fired up fine. But of course, you had a much more serious problem, so I don't know. Just my input. Sorry if it doesn't help.

Maybe you melted the idle control motor. See if it's deformed from the fire. Also possible that you melted the Throttle Postion Sensor, in which case, you're better off just getting all new sensors or even a whole intake manifold setup and swap all the parts to yours.

When you replace any of the sensors or motors on the intake manifold, you need to recalibrate them. There are procedure manuals in the FAQ section on this site.

Also, it's WARM, not WORM. A worm is a squishy boneless creature that lives in dirt. Warm a temperature.

Last time I had this problem it was weak spark. Plug wires, cap and rotor, coil, distributor and ignitor all could have been damaged by fire and all can cause weak spark. All of those should be checked and replaced if found defective.

I can't believe you posted an incomplete sentence, you're slipping. ;)

Jimmy

I don't know what came over me. What would this site be like without a grammar nazi? Chaos, I tell you, chaos!

I would only replace an item if you test it and it doesn't pass the test. I chased a problem around with fistfulls of cash and new parts, replacing all the ignition components, a MAF-Translator, etc. only to find out that it was a melted jet valve.

Don't buy your way out of problems. Solve them first, then buy yourself into new problems. That's the American way!

• 3 weeks later...