Intermittent wiper doesn't work correctly

IBSK8N

I wish I knew, I've run through all the FSM testing and both the motor and relay test fine but BOTH my windshield and rear wipers do the exact same thing on my Flatty. The fatty has always worked fine. I have seen Shelby explain in threads that the motor must run backwards to park the wipers but there is a test in the FSM where you remove power during a sweep and they both complete the sweep and park. I keep thinking its the relay but they pass the tests too. I'm open to suggestions.

Our wipers have an "auto-park" feature. What usually happens is the 20 year old grease inside gets on the contacts inside the motor and stops the auto connections from completing. You'll need to take the motor out, and pull the flat plate off. Pay attention to how it comes apart. Clean the nasty grease out of the insides and off the contacts, put a bit of fresh grease back inside and give it another try. Now would also be a good time to pull the wiper transmission assembly out and clean the posts and the joints.

Our wipers have an "auto-park" feature. What usually happens is the 20 year old grease inside gets on the contacts inside the motor and stops the auto connections from completing. You'll need to take the motor out, and pull the flat plate off. Pay attention to how it comes apart. Clean the nasty grease out of the insides and off the contacts, put a bit of fresh grease back inside and give it another try. Now would also be a good time to pull the wiper transmission assembly out and clean the posts and the joints.

I second this!

Scott, try giggling the stalk to see if that affects it.

• 3 weeks later...
Some times the previous owner turned the wipers on say in the winter when the wipers were frozen to the glass... or the wipers at one time were forced to move. inside the wiper motor the gear is plastic and it Breaks... replace the motor... problem solved.. Yes the Grease inside the motor is hard to clean up...

• 1 month later...
my intermitten wipers didn't work, along with the power door locks not working right, and my window would constantly go up and down not matter how long the car sat with the key out. looked in the FSM to see all those circuts shared the same module. the ETAC module under the seat. I replace with a spare I took from my parts car and it fixed my problems
  • Like 1

I third this. :lol:

For What It's Worth.

KEN

my intermitten wipers didn't work, along with the power door locks not working right, and my window would constantly go up and down not matter how long the car sat with the key out. looked in the FSM to see all those circuts shared the same module. the ETAC module under the seat. I replace with a spare I took from my parts car and it fixed my problems

This guy has it dead on... The intermittent wipers not working is the clue, if it was anything that anybody else was talking about they just wouldn't work but since the regular modes work its the ETAC... Fun part is going to be finding the right ETAC, there are multiple part numbers for multiple years and they don't cross over very well...

And one of the bolts that holds the motor to the firewall SHOULD have a metal grounding strap on it. My 88 didn't have it when I got the car so the auto park feature didn't work. I added an additional ground wire and it fixed it, but once I realized I was missing that strap and replaced it I removed that other ground. And when I say "strap" I mean it's just a little metal tab that kinda folds around the rubber on one of the bolts. It touches the head of the bolt on one side and the firewall on the other. If things are dirty under your hood it may be tough to see.

Another thing to check is the Intermittent Wiper button on the lower left side of the dash. It does an instant intermittent cancel when pushed. Mine was dirty and caused the same issue as you. I cleaned it with electronics spray while pushing it in a bunch of times.