How to drift automatic?..

ditc210

Eh, no, no you can't. You can Initial D' it with "enertia drift" like the ones you see on you tube from dudes in FWD cars but at that point it's not really drifting.

StarQuest and drifting, two terns that don't really go together. A stock 5 speed StarQuest is not really gonna drift beyond 2nd gear and it will be screaming it's brains out when it does. At 5 thousand RPM's you're done, it aint making more power, not in stock form.

On an automatic, it aint happening man, not without breaking all kinds of stuff.

I've given the keys to my red '87 5speed to a professional Formula Drift driver, car had a 2.5 in exhaust,, K&N air filter on a modified air box, walbro fuel pump, 17C turbo and he came back and told "needs more power and more RPM's."

There is a reason why the guys who are drifting SQ's have switched to LS swaps, 4G63 swaps or orher swaps.

Drifting an auto SQ? Dunno, never seen it done.

Drifting an auto-equipped car of another manufacturer? Done it numerous times in LS400s, a Cressida, couple Mustangs, and an F150.

And no, it wasn't any of that F&F parking lot "Look I can slide around a parking planter!" bullstinky, it was a full-day track event and was done in a friend's Cressida.

The secret? Come in hot, e-brake, get on the power and manage weight transfer. I strung together the entire course on the 3rd try. It takes a bit of effort and a little ingenuity to get past not being able to clutch-kick, but once you get it, its' fun. By the end of the day I wasn't even using the e-brake for initiation.

Don't understand folks issues with the hardware at play. Stock AE86s can drift so the Starquest isn't bad off. We have more power and make it over a fatter range. Wide sticky rear tires are not what you want to drift with the power levels we have, but handle the tire situation and the car should do Ok. You certainly wouldn't want to compare it to a more modern and powerful car, but equally modded it wouldn't be much wore than most other 80's Japanese RWD cars.

Power went crazy in the drift world, because competition required the car to be able to drift while maintaining fast speeds and high G. That meant stick tires and high power. Take those last 2 things out and the Starquest has no reason not to be able to do it. It isn't an optimal drift car, but as I said it isn't any worse than the AE86.

Now manual, meh you get of slop in the drivetrain. So you'd have to anticipate power requirements a lot earlier and probably wouldn't be able to react quickly to a changing condition. Also throttle off happened differently and that may be weird. Doable, but weird.

4.22s might help.

you beat me to it Mike , a good running MPi car reving close to 7k with 4:22's drifting would be no problem

now you guys will have to admit no one has tried it,, the reason an LS1 can do it is HP , and mid range tourqe

now your pulling my leg , I know that's not a serious question

Actually I was being serious. I've heard one style of drifting uses grippy tires and lots of power to break them loose. For that style would a drag radial be too grippy?

you do not want a soft tire to drift,, the harder the rubber the less traction the tire will have ,wide tires would not be ideal for a car with limited HP

you do realize drifting destroys a tire real quick,, who'd want to spend the money on drag radials to wear them out in 10 minutes

swap to a 5 speed, un hook your ebrake and learn like man. If you learn to drift in a car with 130hp and no ebrake, you will be a hero when you get a car with power and the proper setup.
  • Like 1

this may be a silly question but why use the e-brake , I understand you need to limet the top speed

but wouldn't holding back on the frt brakes ( with out the rear brakes of course ) do the same or would that screw up the steering

also once an auto trans has built enough hyd pressure to loc a clutch pac or band, it's the same as a 5 spd trans ,, all you need is plenty of torque

with the proper gearing you can drift an auto trans maybe not a stock Conquest

all I was trying to do was explain to him that drifting is the opposite of drag raceing

traction is not your friend

So if you are running tandom you speed doesn't matter as much. You just need to make things smooth and controlled. You don't need a lot of power or sticky for that. Playing at a drift day event can be done in about any RWD car, it kills tires, but you don't have to have anything amazing mounted or an amazing car.

Many great drifters ran their crappy stock 240sx's long after folks told them to upgrade. Just like Convette said learn on something slow and you will wow people once you get a hold of power. Master car control and keep costs down. Getting time behind the wheel is a mod you keep forever. Lots of people blow a small fortune on cars far more capable than the driver. If there isn't money on the line, then you are doing it to advance your skills and that task should be ahead of all else.

In competition things change as you are graded by how close you can stay (as the follower) or if you can get away (as leader). To do that you need sticky tires and of course power. It is a "race". Skills are needed as much as a car that can compete, you have to have both.

The Ebrake is used to upset the traction on the car and start the slide. A cars tire doesn't want to slide and will try to hold in at a given slip, that break away can be hard to judge and a quick snap of the brake can push it over the edge. You can use it like a trigger to get the slide to start right where you want it. Cars can be setup to enter oversteer naturally of course personally I prefer that method because in autocross violent maneuvers aren't faster.

Edited by Cloud81918