question about cv axels when installing rear struts

2fast2six

so while installing my rear struts and springs the cv axles where its splined had pulled out from the rear diff. do i just push them back in and make sure that they are pushed in all the way when i bolt everything back together? i see that theirs a c clip on the end of the splines of the cv axle. just want to make sure everything is good when i re install. dont want to strip out the splines or ruin the rear diff. any certain way its supposed to go back together would be greatly appreciated : ) thanks!

so while installing my rear struts and springs the cv axles where its splined had pulled out from the rear diff. do i just push them back in and make sure that they are pushed in all the way when i bolt everything back together? i see that theirs a c clip on the end of the splines of the cv axle. just want to make sure everything is good when i re install. dont want to strip out the splines or ruin the rear diff. any certain way its supposed to go back together would be greatly appreciated : ) thanks!

Just push the half shaft back in. If the Oil Seal was leaking prior to this,Yes, install a new Oil Seal in the Differential. If not, leave it be, but monitor it on a continual basis for future leakage.

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

Once you pop them in, pull on them a bit in attempt to pop them back out. You should have a pretty good resistance. If they just pop back out with ease, then your C-clip is shot. If the c clip is shot, the axle will pop out of position while driving and the rear will chew away the spline joint on the axle and render it useless. Believe me, been there, lol.

oh and don't pull on the outer bolted/flanged hub. Pull from the axle itself (round bar) or the inner hub.

kev