Door 2 Door Vaccuum Salesman: Kirby

In the years 2013, I never imagined that door to door vaccuum sales people still exist. Had a knock on the door today from a team of sales dudes selling Kirby vaccuums.

I know Kirby because my parents had a 70's generation Kirby and 10 years ago they bought a new generation one that does everything including shampoo, paint spray, sander, air pump and a whole lot more. Downside is they expensive, $1300!

Any of you guys owns a Kirby?

Had some OLD commercial kirbys my crews used when I worked down in South TX at MMA.

good units.

My parents have an OG Kirby in the garage somewhere, early 80's joint. It does everything and has a boat load of attachments. Growing up, it was the only vacuum we had, and I thought that all vacuums were Kirby's. I used to called vacuuming, "kirby-ing" when I was young, lol.

Yeah the amount of attachments is amazing. What I don't get is why the door to door sales tactics?

I can imagine it's darn near impossible to concince people to make $1300 + impulsive purchase. They tell you 0 down and make payments. I did the math, after California sales tax and the 36 months of payments. That vaccuum would have ended up costing over $2000 bucks!

Did they vacuum your carpets as part of the presentation? That's how they always got my mom, lol. They'd roll up with a pile of stuff, basically clean our house to show how it all worked, and she'd cave.

They go door to door cuz it's more personal and they know most people will feel bad and buy something.

Yeah they cleaned part of our carpet. I felt bad for the guy, I was up front and said I had no interest in buying right from the beginning.

I found some used ones on craigslist after the guy left. If I want one, I can buy one for about $300.

Growing up the only vacuum i knew of was a Kirby, my grandma had one. My mom had one.

When brother got older and moved out mom passed on her vacuum to him because she'd bought a new one. Then after a handful of years my brother gave it to me after he bought a newer one, i am not sure how old it is, but I'd bet in the 15+ range. It still works great beside the light bulb on the front doesn't work (who vacuums in the dark???) and the cord got frayed and i had to fix that.

There is actually a Kirby store in town where you can trade in your old Kirby to buy a new or newer one. It blew my mind that a store would to trade-ins on a vacuum.

yeah they are still around. That knife company too. It's goten rare they come around though.

And I do have a Kurbey but it's really old I would guess IDK 60's, you have to ware ear plugs to run it, and it's solid stainless would be my guess weights like 30#'s no joke. It runs like a champ, has never broke and if it does parts are still avalable for it.

Yeah they cleaned part of our carpet. I felt bad for the guy, I was up front and said I had no interest in buying right from the beginning.

Same deal here about 6 months ago. If I had the spare cash I would have bought one because they did a heck of a job cleaning up the room carpet. Of course with 2 dogs and 2 kids it is already trashed again, hehe.

My step-mom got suckered into one not too long ago. The old man was pissed, but in her defense, the carpet has never looked that good the time we've been in this house. As far as the rig itself goes, its' super beef. You could use it as a melee weapon in case of a home invasion.

I bought a used G4 Tech-drive (mid to late 90's model) off of CL a few months ago. Bought a set of attachments and consumable parts off Ebay. It is great. Total was under $125 and I like it better than any other vacuum I've owned so far. I don't think they are worth $1300, but probably pretty solidly worth $500. Better built than anything sold a department stores.

They are heavy. But that is a good thing and they'll last because of it. Ours has the Tech-drive as stated. It helps make the unit very usable as it is a transmission that powers the wheels to move the vac for and aft. The power that this thing has makes all of the cyclonic vacs seem silly.

We were staring down the barrel of a $300 all plastic vacuum, I decided to give a used Kirby a chance and I love it.

Edited by Cloud81918