Work in a shop? Which scan tool?

ESTurbo4

I'm looking for a new scanner for the shop. The garage I came from used the OTC Genisys (both the old gray one and the newer blue non-touch one). Here, my partner and I are currently using Matco pocket scanners but they lack all the features of thier larger counterparts. Budget is low as we are a new garage and start-up costs have ate into the budget. So the $9,000 new Matco elite or Snap-On $8,000 scanner will be on hold for now. So, I was debating on the cheaper Autel Maxidas 708 or the tried and true Genisys.

I know the Genisys is limited, very limited, but it can do enough to get by. The Autel I know nothing about, an independent tool supplier in the area suggested the Autel. He said that he sells that particular model in NY more than the Launch, Genisys or Autoboss. I just want the best bang for my buck obviously. Do any of you work with any of these scanners? Are they any good?

Autel

AutoBoss

Genisys

Launch

Ive always had access to a Genesis (blue one) What is it limited on? I have found more then I have ever needed on it besides being able to reprogram ECU's though I think it does have that opiton for some. There price for software updates SUCKS though. I have found the Genesis to give me some wacked out info though. Like say on a blazer check engin being thrown by the destributer it throws some error about the cam sensor and there is no cam sensor it's actuly the distributer.

Also had access to a TEC 2 (think that might be GM only though)

What are you looking to do with it? Can the open sorce ODBC2 USB reader work for you? If so that's like a $30 adapter the software was free last I messed with it, and obviously you need a laptop or a desktop with a long cable you can pull up to.

Edited by jszucs

What I mean by limited, is the bi-directional control of the Genisys is limited. You'll look in like Mitchell/Shop key for a repair path and step one would say activate, for example, an evap solenoid. When you attempt to do this the Genisys sometimes with do nothing, fail the test or that particular test wont be found in the options. Another example is, I know there is a relearn process for cam crank correlation on some cars and sometimes in certain years that relearn wont be available in the Genisys. Also you can't always access BCM's, TCM's, HVAC controllers, or Anti-theft modules. Access to those is extremely important, at least around here, because of failure of VATS type systems causing the vehicles not to start is common.

I've worked with the Genisys for years its a great tool for what it is. I was only wondering if for that same money I could upgrade so to speak with another brand. I am also unfamiliar with the open source units. I have heard this and that about them mostly negative but factually I haven't actually seen anyone use one. So its all hearsay.

What I mean by limited, is the bi-directional control of the Genisys is limited. You'll look in like Mitchell/Shop key for a repair path and step one would say activate, for example, an evap solenoid. When you attempt to do this the Genisys sometimes with do nothing, fail the test or that particular test wont be found in the options. Another example is, I know there is a relearn process for cam crank correlation on some cars and sometimes in certain years that relearn wont be available in the Genisys. Also you can't always access BCM's, TCM's, HVAC controllers, or Anti-theft modules. Access to those is extremely important, at least around here, because of failure of VATS type systems causing the vehicles not to start is common.

I've worked with the Genisys for years its a great tool for what it is. I was only wondering if for that same money I could upgrade so to speak with another brand. I am also unfamiliar with the open source units. I have heard this and that about them mostly negative but factually I haven't actually seen anyone use one. So its all hearsay.

O NO NO yeah the Genisys is very limited to the proprietary systems theft HVAC in the modern one's. and yeah have had the same stupid cam sensor issues. donot get the open source options then. and I'm guessing your going to be in the biz for awhile. Then your going to need a modern one. Stupid VW's won't release the brakes on 2008 or 9 and up without one and all kinds of crazy stuff.

You can't have one scanner. The new solus is a lot of scanner for the money. If you do lots of euro and Asian IscanII or Vedis are great. I personally use the new solus tech2/tech2win,ids drb3 and iscan to get all the coverage I need but that's about 18k in scanners. Oh and a genysis for old stuff (that's all it's good for).

I have the snap on verus and it pretty much sucks with anything euro so i just bought the new matco maximus made by launch it it bad tail on euro and doable on american you might check it out

ill let the cat out of the bag on this one i have a very good friend that used to be a matco dealer so i called him up before i made my purchase and found out the maximus retails for 4k but dealer cost is only 2,800

so i let me new dealer know that i knew what cost was on it and scored mine for 3200

hope this helps

Thank you all for the input, the tool guy is supposed to lend me that Autel so I can see how it works. I'll post up my findings when he leaves it with me. Thanks again.