Fusible links and Coil questions..

SnohoQuest

Coil first.. When i first bought the car i did the standard tune up with new coil, plugs, etc using all the recommended parts from the newbie check. Since then i have replaced the coil 4 times... Just either died or overheated. Just replaced another one today.. Symptoms for needing one: Car died while driving and wouldn't start again, happened every time..

Am i just bad luck or is there something i'm missing...

Next! My main fusible links connection from the battery terminal post is heating up under load and melting and getting hot, the usual suspect for electrical bug.. Did a ground go bad or is something causing this?

Many thanks,

Cody

Oh PS its an 86 widebody quest

post-23998-0-00116500-1369725054_thumb.jpg

ok , time for you to remove the fuse link box and remove all fuse links from the holder,, clean the link terminals , on links and holder , also that large white connector clean the terminals in and to it

you did not say if the alt is oem or larger , a larger alt will need a larger main fuse link , connectiong it to the battery

you have two fuseable link holders one is under that metal plate behind battery,, it needs to be clean'd also

same here made a difference in my 87 and my 88 and my 2- 89's :)

those connectors relays and fuses have 25 plus years of use and

could use some TLC. i would check everyone i can get to and clean

and die electric grease them up.

Edited by importwarrior

You have a wire, or wires shorting out or your Fusable link connections are corroded and need cleaning. Check your wiring.

As far as a good reliable coil..... I use a Mallory Promaster CD Ignition Coil: 67,000 volts with 120 milliamps of peak current. Effective to appox. 10,000 rpms without any problems. Price: Appox $82.00 from http://www.summitracing.com

Part no. MAA-29625.

As far as I know, i'm the only member on SQC using this coil. Why?????. "Especially, when running a CD Ignition box": (Mallory,Summit,MSD) or the like.

Here are the some of the examples in which I used the Mallory Promaster Coil..... trouble-free :

1987 Starion ESIR.

1923 Street Rod, 350 ci Engine.

1923 Street Rod, 454 ci Engine.

18 FT. Flat bottom V-Drive 396 ci Engine Race boat.

Sometimes, using a "OVERKILL" coil is not needed.....With this coil......No Problems with present conditions or future upgrades.

Even a "Bone Stock" Starquest would benefit from this coil.

It's like that old commercial says: "You can pay me now, or pay me later".

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

While you're cleaning those connections, there's 2 grounds in that area as well it probably wouldn't hurt to clean up. There's one right under the fusiable link box where the positive battery cable and some other misc stuff are ground. There's 2 crimp rings on one stud. Take that apart and clean it. (I use emery cloth and sand them shiny and then use some dielectric grease). Also, over on the block behind the AC but in front of the starter (basically between the 2) there's a ground on a larger crimp ring. Clean that one up too. Good Luck!

Perfect thanks guys! Ive been tearing through all the terminals already hoping its gonna be the issue.

As far as the coil issue though i'll look into that coil Caliber, as long as that one wont leave me on the side of the highway!

Thanks!

Cody