review my ems 4 map

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sweet! Have you set a plug (wired to the coil) on the valve cover/shock tower and visually verified no spark? What coil pack/setup are you using? If it's a DSM setup, it's possible the transistor is bad, but could be you need to set the outputs on the AEM differently?

Once you get spark, turn off the injectors and crank it over using a timing light to get it "close" to 10 BTDC. Once that's set, turn on injectors and add fuel in the startup table until it fires. Once it starts, you can start messing with the main fuel map. turn off O2 feedback and the knock sensor for this start-up tuning.

I've done the coil testing mentioned in the FAQ on AEM's forum and I get spark . Unfortunately just not while cranking.

I'm using Ford 4L coil packs . I'm not really sure what's going on with it.

Edited by tux

Ah, got a new cal and I've got spark ! Set base timing during crank to -10 btdc and tried also 0btdc . I can't get her to kick over. :/ Edited by tux

Add fuel in the cranking fuel. Add and add and add. Make sure your firing order is right too. just worry about cranking fuel until it kicks off, then worry about the main fuel map. What size injectors and what fuel?

For now, I've got regular 87 (about 2 gals) and I'm using Neon SRT-4 Mopar Stage 2 injectors (682cc)

Firing order is set for

Coil / Cyl 1 - 0

Coil / Cyl 2 - 3

Coil / Cyl 3 - 1

Coil / Cyl 4 - 2

I'll just set it to dump fuel like a mad man.

I didn't get the firing order at first, but now I do and it's right. You may also need to use a little throttle input to get it right at first, and if you suspect it's flooding, floor the gas, that will bring starting fuel to zero to clear it out. Edited by Technology

thanks for the tips !

looks like i have progress.

I got some cool flames from the exhaust and sometimes the throttlebody.

After monkeying around with the timing in the cal I've almost got it to kick over. Darn this battery charger and it's mere 75amp start setting

I had to set initial crank pulse to 50 across the board for this .

Edited by tux

• 3 weeks later...
Sounds like your battery is pretty low. Most ECU's won't work properly with less than 10 volts. Also, it was mentioned above, but add more fuel and then pedal it to try to get it started.Floor it if you think you've flooded it and it will stop additional fuel from being added. Also, make sure you have your TPS min and max values setup so the ECU knows that the throttle is fully closed or fully open.

That's all been done. Battery is run parallel to a deep cycle battery and a charger . I guess it could possibly not be enough, but voltage is 12.3v .

I'll keep doing fuel, so far I've added quite a lot to get it to this point .

so you've verified that you're getting a good spark on all 4 plugs at this point? What worked for me was to increase the fuel while cranking to the point where I could smell the fuel because it was getting flooded and then I floored the throttle to enable flood/clear mode and kept cranking and it fired up. Once you can get it to fire up, then you will tune the fuel table to get it to stay running without having to pedal it.

Got it to the point of it kicks over and runs for a second or two then falls on it's face.

I've got the fuel map increased like nobody's business at this point. Getting closer.

If it starts and dies, you need to adjust the main fuel map. You may need to increase it a lot if the injectors are small.

But you are at the point where only more fuel will make it run. Congratulations!

I'm not getting very far. Found that backing off a little on the fpr spring gave me more steady fuel pressure (43psi as opposed to 58) and I'm able to drop the fuel PW down to 1.9ms from 6ms (where it was before to get it to run a few seconds).

Sometimes it starts, sometimes I have to crank a while... When I get it running still 5-10 seconds max for an idle. If I apply any throttle, she dies instantly.

Beat >.<