Anyone running a PWM IAC?

Hello,

I'm looking for input on how to connect a PWM IAC to my magna intake as my cold start idle is pretty crappy. Once it warms up, it idles great. I'm thinking that I can get a 2 wire Ford IAC and this adapter, which the ford IAC bolts to, and tap my magna plenum for a hose barb. Rather than risking drilling the magna plenum, I was also thinking that I could drill and tap my 1" TB spacer for a hose barb. Anyone else who's successfully running an IAC wanna chime in? My megasquirt ECU is already configured to run the PWM IAC.

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/ProdImages/ACF33-C.jpg

I came across this thread when i was researching this.

http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=110898

I am running a stepper iac with some success, still working on it.

I was going to try the pwm route because i was having issues with wiring on the stepper motor, the diagram over on diyautotune was wrong and iac wasn't responding.

That's a great thread full of good info. I have seen the 3 wire PWM vavles used with good results, but I need to look more into the wiring. What Psu_crash did there with the TB spacer is what I was also thinking of doing. Nice to know that it'll work just fine.

• 3 weeks later...
Hey I am running a bosch 2 wire one from a early 90s vw and it works great.. I have always wanted to use the ford one but never had luck yet to get it working

• 1 month later...

That's a great thread full of good info. I have seen the 3 wire PWM vavles used with good results, but I need to look more into the wiring. What Psu_crash did there with the TB spacer is what I was also thinking of doing. Nice to know that it'll work just fine.

Mine worked great in the TB spacer for a long time. Then one day the PWM valve decided to stick open on me. Kinda scary when you fire up the car and it immediately hits 4k RPM and stays there, so I took it off for the time being.

With my bung pointed directly down I think that may have had something to do with it's failure. Things were a little corroded inside of it. My theory is that it allowed moisture and anything else in the intake to settle there. Probably a better idea to have it off to the side

I have been running the ford 2-wire for awhile. I have had pretty good success with it aswell. 55$ seems abit steep for that adapter. Its much easier and cheaper just to redrill and tap the holes in the idle valve itself for some NPT threads. (I cant remember if it was 1/4 or 3/8 NPT). Either way I also found I needed a restrictor in the line to limit the airflow so I could get the duty cycle to a more manageable range. Edited by spoon32

Any chance I can get you to modify one of those spacers for me?

I'm not sure if I still have that big NPT tap. I'll take a look on Monday (taps are at work). But if I do then I can definitely help you out.

I have been running the ford 2-wire for awhile. I have had pretty good success with it aswell. 55$ seems abit steep for that adapter. Its much easier and cheaper just to redrill and tap the holes in the idle valve itself for some NPT threads. (I cant remember if it was 1/4 or 3/8 NPT). Either way I also found I needed a restrictor in the line to limit the airflow so I could get the duty cycle to a more manageable range.

hey

would u care to maybe let us know your settings, what car and year your valve was from cause from my understanding there is two differant styles and what is this air gizmo you talk of?

mike

You could just buy the crustang throttle body with idle motor on it. I did that, but found that the ford idle motor pretty much sucks. It doesn't have enough range on the low end and had a very hard time metering small amounts of air. I recommend a newer PWM motor from maybe a toyota or Nissan.

Here was mine:

http://i.imgur.com/H4pPj.jpg

You're using the 5.0 mustang throttle body, which has a different flange. My magna, modded by Chad, is setup to use the 4.6 mustang throttle body. There are no throttle bodies available with the integrated IAC which will bolt on to the 4.6 TB flange.