Factory airbox delete

I know there is a posting somewhere dealing with this issue but I just couldnt find it. That being said I appologize in advance if I've duplicated a previous question. I am trying to delete factory airbox and put a direct air filter onto the turbo inlet. Obviously it didnt work out to good as I didnt take the proper steps. I need to know what to do with the bosst regulator, the air sensor and the vacuum lines from the factory airbox in order to make the vehicle run properly. Any help is appreciated. If you know of a link to where this question has already been asked and answered please post a reply with it. Thanks as always guys and remember, never grow out of your Hoonigan childishness. :D

This is the best way to run the stock mass air sensor with an open air filament. Some people say it's rubish but I never had a problem with it when I had one on my car.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Air-intake-Adapter-Starion-Conquest-Turbo-2-6L-Cold-Filter-83-89-OEM-Mass-Meter-/261158941470?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cce49331e&vxp=mtr

This is the best way to run the stock mass air sensor with an open air filament. Some people say it's rubish but I never had a problem with it when I had one on my car.

http://www.ebay.com/...e49331e&vxp=mtr

Thanks Txs. I think I will put it back stock for now. Return the current filter couplings etc... and will probably be refunded enough to purchase this filter which looks alot easier than the previous option of changing ECU wiring etc... It appears that with that filter system you could still eliminate the tacky a** corrugated piping from the factory. I do have another question though.... I had seen a previous post one of which I cannot find now to save my life. Is it beneficial to eliminate the lower and upper screens or, either/or scenario in the MAF? Thanks guys your the best.

It's between the metal lid and the sensor. Unscrewing the sensor from the lid gets you access to it.

It's debatable whether it restricts flow or not. Common belief is that it does. Removing it may gain a little more flow. It's main purpose is to muffle the turbo intake so you don't hear it as much. You may hear a bit more air noise without it. Also turkey gobble (compressor surge) becomes more audible.

The honeycomb smooths out the airflow and helps the meter read the incoming air. Removing that will make meter readings erratic and will ruin a good mass air sensor.

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z388/starionkiller/random%20parts/th_2013-01-27174704.jpg

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z388/starionkiller/random%20parts/th_2013-01-27174624.jpg

Sheet metal cage plus a few feet of cardboard=restriction.

factory air box delete comprised of a 1gmas, cosmo air can, ebay 90 degree alumum pipe, 2.25 inch coupler to turbo. 3 inch coupler to air can and two verocious motorsports 10mm adaptors for the oil sperator and evap can.

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z388/starionkiller/red%20conquest%20assorted%20pictures/th_2011-08-09175310.jpg

First of all UCW your underhood is impeccable. I love a neat low key but yet a bit colorful under hood set up. VERY nice job. Johnny, thanks for the info and I like your set up as well. Your car and my car are fairly similar. I am assuming that the right front airdam damage is pretty common on these babies as mine has the same damage and in the same spot. ;) Your setup is exactly what I am looking to do. So, do you guys agree that the first two replies to this thread and that they are the only way to acheive that or do you have another way? I hate the look of the factory piping and air can. I would love to clean it up a bit but have tried it and it ran like poo. It suffered major stalling at boost onset which I am assuming that without the MAF in place the comp does not understand the variation in air intake? If you guys could help me by confirmaing or denying the previous posts about deleting the airbox I would forever be in your debt. Thanks again fellas.

First of all UCW your underhood is impeccable. I love a neat low key but yet a bit colorful under hood set up. VERY nice job. Johnny, thanks for the info and I like your set up as well. Your car and my car are fairly similar. I am assuming that the right front airdam damage is pretty common on these babies as mine has the same damage and in the same spot. ;) Your setup is exactly what I am looking to do. So, do you guys agree that the first two replies to this thread and that they are the only way to acheive that or do you have another way? I hate the look of the factory piping and air can. I would love to clean it up a bit but have tried it and it ran like poo. It suffered major stalling at boost onset which I am assuming that without the MAF in place the comp does not understand the variation in air intake? If you guys could help me by confirmaing or denying the previous posts about deleting the airbox I would forever be in your debt. Thanks again fellas.

Well yes if you ran without the mas air sensor it wont run good at all. That cosmo air car if for the sensor to be installed inside of. Another way to go is use the 1g eclipse air can lid and the 1geclipse k&n filter.

I can confirm it makes the car louder but it sounds cool

Edited by JohnnyWadd

Mine is running very rich atm. I put everything back stock and it still runs like poo. Checked vac lines, etc.. and everything looks good. I just wonder if I dont need to reset the ECU after trying to run it without the MAF? I put the car on the road about two months ago and gave it a tune up etc.. and it ran great. nice and strong for 180K. Chatter at high RPM's that I dont like but I'm thinking a proper valve lash may cure that.(It had been sitting garaged since 2004 :blink: ) Then it started hesitating at the onset of boost, then started getting a stutter at the top of boost with slight loss of power. I Tried switching to an open air filter inproperly and it started stalling completely at the onset of boost. I have changed everything back to factory and it continues to do the same thing. You guys think a ECU reset will fix that? Any opinions are appreciated. Edited by BeachQuest

You guys think a ECU reset will fix that? Any opinions are appreciated.

No. Check other stuff vacum advance and injectors clips and injectors. recheck tps voltage and sweep test. Bucking under boost is a common issue with injector clips or failing vac adcance unit. Also check fuel pressure under boost.

Chatter at high RPM's that I dont like but I'm thinking a proper valve lash may cure that

If not then do a balance shaft elimination or just do it now anyway.

Edited by JohnnyWadd

At the risk of sounding stupid where is the balance shaft on this car? it's an 88. I think you may be on to something with the VA. I was thinking maybe that from the begining because of the slight stutter under boost, then very noticeable stutter, then stall. Seems that it has progressively gotten worse over the las month. I'll check those things though thanks for the input.

At the risk of sounding stupid where is the balance shaft on this car? it's an 88. I think you may be on to something with the VA. I was thinking maybe that from the begining because of the slight stutter under boost, then very noticeable stutter, then stall. Seems that it has progressively gotten worse over the las month. I'll check those things though thanks for the input.

http://starquest.i-x.net/viewtopic.php?t=944

Ok gents, a new revelation in the airbox saga. We thought we had it fixed and figured out something fairly bizarr in the process. When cold the car runs like a top. When warmed up it starts its crap. Cold = runs fine / warmed up = stalling and shuttering under boost. Any ideas?

Ok gents, a new revelation in the airbox saga. We thought we had it fixed and figured out something fairly bizarr in the process. When cold the car runs like a top. When warmed up it starts its crap. Cold = runs fine / warmed up = stalling and shuttering under boost. Any ideas?

Have you run a set of error codes? It sounds to me, based upon the above, that your o2 sensor has given up the ghost along with possibly the va diaphragm starting to leak.

For What It's Worth.

Ken

This is just me - I'd cut out the air flow restrictor restrictor plate that MITSUBISHI built into the joint where the stock air intake volute mates to the air filter canister can to the ID of the volute.

See if you get a performance gain by increasing that opening size by about 100% and sucking in relative cooler outside air in before you start cutting large holes into the air canister can and sucking hot summer less dense engine house air into da engine.

Just a thought.

For What It's Worth.

KEN

I guess the argument would be flow vs air temp. :blink: Update on the Conquestador. Pulled fuel tank, cleaned it, ordered new screen from the forum along with injector clips which I havent installed yet, gutted the primary converter, deleted secondary, replaced new iridium plugs with NGK HP plugs, and deleted air tube silencer. I havent drove it any long distances yet but it seems to be running MUCH better and sounds terrific. Thanks for all the suggestions guys.