DIY flush door handles.

patra_is_here

Yep. You can speed things along by cooling the metal by blowing air on it if you have a compressor.

BC_99

Yeah, I forgot to mention that. Blowing it with air will cut the wait time down drastically. Usually, I got lots of different stuff to work on so I weld a few tacks, then sand some bondo on something else I'm working on, do a few tacks, lay some fiberglass, do a few tacks, smoke a joint, do a few tacks, spray some primer.....

Very nice!

Did you have any warping issues of the door when welding? I had some minor warping when I welded mine up (shaved handles). I cut it out and redid it three times but couldn't prevent the warping..but got it down to under a 1/16". I couldn't weld it solid like you did, I had to leave it tacks at every 1/4" and then glass over.

kev

well, since the area of the handle still contained all the reenforcing structure that really gives it it's strength, I had no issues with warping at all. for that area there wasn't a real need to be overly cautious. basically tacked em in place. waited a few minutes. then just blasted a bead across it.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...