My nightmarish adventure... (help wanted)

MasterVivi

LMAO at Roberts "any tool used improperly will cause damage"

Master Vivi hang in there as there are many on here more than willing to help.PS Robert in my post I assumed that you were referring to the tool you were born with???

Edited by AUSSIEOLDIE

I'm doing fine, and my car runs fine. I'm not going to quit and part out or sell ever, you guys are so cynical. Thanks Aussie, I know.

It's good you got the convictions. So then did it pass E-check? Were not cynical at all we have seen allot come and go; were realists and try to just avoid it as much as possible. A good many have been taught to wrench and have good running cars from it. We really do hope you become one of them..... but way more have given up, and the car got the short end of the stick.

So since the car is running fine..... did it pass?

You guys crack me up....

People don't ask questions and mess up their car, and people give them crap.... If they ask too many questions trying not to mess up their car, and people give them crap.

This guy is nowhere near Toadie or Scooterdoob caliber, but y'all are sure gonna do everything you can to try and make him out to be the next Toadie or Scooterdoob. It's a shame that there's a few long-time, passionate SQers that are just downright into bullying. I thought we were all on the same team here.

I'm glad I met the Tainters when I first signed up... About all I knew how to do is change my oil when I first started. If I hadn't had the Tainters there to just take on all the mechanical issues on my car and fix it up, I would have had to try and do it myself and I'm sure would have had some doozies as far as silly questions go. Had that been the case and I was treated the way y'all treat some of the noobs, I would have sold my car and never want another one. Hell, even after 10 years I'm apprehensive about asking mechanical questions on the site, and I still don't know much more mechanically than I did then. If I can't find the info I need in a search or the FAQs, I call one of a handful of people on here that I have become very close with. They always answer my questions without ridicule, not matter how stupid my questions are.

I know there's a lot of new people who ask the same questions... the answers to which could be found by doing some reading on the site or searches. While it sucks to take time to answer the same questions over and over again, it takes just as much time to tell them to use the search or even link a thread covering their question, as it does to just say negative stuff that gets all parties nowhere. Sick of the same questions all the time and don't want to waste time answering them or helping? Then don't respond at all. Remember, if you're not a part of the solution- you are a part of the problem.

Vivi... Try not to let some of the negative comments get you down. At the end of the day, we all care about these cars, and most of the time we all care about each other.... Some people just have funny ways of showing it. You also gotta understand that over the years we've seen lots of noobs come in and either not ask for advice, or not heed the advice given to them, and in the end either destroy their cars or part and scrap them to get the most money for their mistake. Since all of us who are true enthusiasts of these cars hate to see a car get killed off by an irresponsible owner, we can sometimes be protective of these cars when we feel someone may not be a responsible owner, based on the way past irresponsible owners have posted in the past. It may not be fair, but that's kinda just the way it is sometimes.Keep immersing yourself in all the info here to answer as many questions as you can on your own, then just ask about the things you couldn't find info on, or things where the info was confusing to you. If you ask a question here and there, you'll stay under the radar and get plenty of help, but if you ask 15 questions a day, especially ones that could be found easily in the FAQ section or with a quick search, you'll become a target...especially in the BS section. Maybe try and find someone here local to you who would be willing to help? I noticed with Toadie, that once he got to know some local guys personally, he seemed to mellow out and not take as much heat. The list of silly questions shrunk, and people started treating him a little better. Well, most people. There's a number of people who still have zero respect for him to this day and joke about him every chance they get, even tho I don't think he has been around for months.

All that being said, Over the years I have done my fair share of bullying. It's easy to jump on the bully train when a lot of others are doing it too, I gave people like Toadie lots of crap along with most everyone else. Of course, I really only said negative stuff after they had been posting stupid stuff for months. However, now I'm trying change my ways a little. It's funny how the birth of a child can totally make you rethink all your principles and what's important to you. In a matter of a day or two, I went from thinking car forum battles were a big deal to thinking "Why do I waste my time on this piddly stuff?"

I'm hoping trying to change my attitude helps me enjoy the community more. Dealings with a couple of people in particular recently, as well as how things have changed in the community over the years, has me kind of losing the love for these cars. I've made a lot of good friends here, and at 26liter.us, and have made a ton of good memories, but things are just different here than they used to be. Maybe things are different on the site, or maybe it's because I'm nearly 40 now, a new dad, and life is just generally different than when I was 30...maybe both. Whatever it is, I have to try and change something.

I wish you the best in getting your car up to snuff, and hope you're able to prove to everyone that you are serious about these cars. Sadly, sometimes people have to prove themselves to people around here before they get respect. Such is the same with life... Keep digging at the important stuff and learn, and eventually you'll prove yourself and not have to hear the naysayers so much.

Edited by Burton

Thanks, Burton, and don't think I'm getting down about any of it.

I know I'm willing to give it 100 percent, and I know I'm hyper intelligent, dedicated, and up for the task.

Nothing anyone says on this forum could ever get me down, I don't get offended by anything.

I was a foster kid all my life, so people tried to pick on me when I was little, and I created this little motto.

This will actually help ALL of you guys in life, if you really think about it, and I think you should learn it, Burton, and teach it to your children. It's really a good thing.

If someone says something to you, and it's true, and you don't like it, change it.

If someone says something to you, and it's not true, why should it bother you?

I failed smog by the way, I have to apply for the CAP, and Smog Hardship Exemption soon, that will give me 500 dollars to fix my car up, and 2 years of smog exemption.

The guy at the smog place really sucks, he doesn't really know what he is doing, I shouldn't have went to the same place.

He said it's running fully rich though, and I don't know what it is. I didn't go to a test and tune, just a test, so the dude was probably worthless.

He said maybe my MAF is busted, or fuel pressure regulator.

What do you guys think?

^ Exactly..... you have to listen and take heed to what were saying. The minor ribbing will stop. But you can also not do blaitent stuff like drive a car that's rubbing a wheel and wonder why it's blowing tires.

See right there...... Think about your moto.... that place dosn't suck, the guys not an idiot the car is not running right. You also did not listen when we told you it's a car that has been neglected, it can be tricky to pass smog with, and your in a state that's hardest on smog.

As for what is causing it, my first guess would be leakey injectors, mas, and more then likely your precat is gutted and 2nd cat is old and warn out (especialy if the car has been running rich)

Edited by jszucs

Actually, the tire that wasn't rubbing blew, but thanks anyway. It was kind of low, I was on my way to filling it up when it popped, and I didn't even notice it was popped until I was trying to fill it up, chuckle.

Maybe I need to be more specific, you guys are always assuming I'm doing something insanely stupid. The tire only rubs when I hit major bumps, and it only rubs for about a second or less when I hit said bump.

Chuckle, give me more credit guys.

If someone says something to you, and it's true, and you don't like it, change it.

If someone says something to you, and it's not true, why should it bother you?

That is a pretty damn good motto. I've never had a problem with the first part, but the second part I've never quite gotten a handle on LOL.

Reputation is a big thing to my family and has been instilled into me since I was very young. My Grandfather's motto is.... A man is only as good as his reputation and his work etchic.

So, in my old stubborn ways, if someone lies about me and it sullies my reputation, then I am somehow less of a man... even tho it wasn't true. Of course, if I get worked up over somthing and take part in drama, that doesn't do anything good for my rep either. I try and look at the haters by thinking if they really knew me, they wouldn't be haters, and it's their loss, but it's still hard to think that way when the haters really hate, and stubborn principles often take over. I't a big, elaborate, Catch 22 that I've struggled with for years. Oh, and starting my own business has done nothing to calm my obsesssion with reputation...probably only stressed me out more LOL.

• 2 weeks later...

I need to get a one-day moving pass to take her to the body shop, but I've been real busy.

What do you think?

I have 1322.62 on the check, should I use that to pass smog and maybe get some suspension upgrades?

I need to at least get the dent out enough to not rub against the wheel.

I'm going to hopefully call about the CAP on monday.

http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_BARResources/01_CAP&GoldShield/Factsheets/Website%20CAP%20FAQs.pdf

It basically lets me get 500 dollars to help my car pass smog.

So, I can do that, and use the insurance money to fix the car.

What would you do?

I still have it. Maybe I should try and get the body shop to get me a higher estimate, and then I get a larger check, and then I just get her running with that?

Like I told you before I doubt it... if you want to fight the amount you got to hash that all out before they even cut you a check. As far as suplemental claims that's going to be directly to and from the body shop to the insurance and it's only going to be allowed after they really start tareing into your car (so at that point your shelling out that insurance money you wanted to use to make it run right).... IE they cut a chunk of metal out of the fender and find some other damage inside.... they take a bunch of photos ect send write up to insurance insurance sends out adjuster ajuster haggles with them forever then maybe just maybe if the body shop you took it to... really likes you and put up a good fight (trust me they don't really want insurance work because they pay them straight time which is not worht there time) they might approve it but that money is then going direct to body shop. O and did I mention they left your car sitting outside (so as not to be taking up shop space) for the week or two while insurance fights with them.

I would pull / pry / pound the dent out so it don't rub.

The $500 waver seems like an option to allow you to pass. It will have to be 500 in all emissions parts though. Which may or maynot be the parts that are bad. But YES make the car run... if the car don't run who cares about the body.

As far as suspension it sounds like it needs some help (if you say suspension is sagging enough to rub and blow out tire on non damaged side. And suspension is going to be major work for someone who dosn't know, and dosen't have major tools. I would also hate to see you not use a spring compressor right and take a spring in the chest. It's do able, but your going to need to read, have a place to work on it (where it might sit open for a day or two) and your going to need some tools.

It sounds like you could get away with just springs to keep it from bottoming out but since your will be basicly taking the rear struts apart you might as well do the shocks too. Do they need it ....ah more then likely.... also consider rear struts might be hard to find because they come as one whole housing.

I guess as a cheap way around it (temp fix) you could try some of the limiters that slip over the springs. Do you know what im taking about?

Boil it down to basics really..... IE what's keeping you from driving the car.... major factors no plates (no smog pass) and rubbing tires... so both need to be fixed. IMHO the dent is not keeping you from driving it, if it were that close in the fender well you could put a baseball bat in there and pry it away.... it's alreay pretty jacked up.

Alright, so maybe I'll get the smog money, cash my check, pound out my dent, get an alignment for like 80 bucks for all 4 wheels, and try to pass smog. I'll have like a grand to spend on fixing the car, and I can worry about fixing the damage later on I guess. Maybe I'll try going to tijuana for them to fix the body damage though, but that might be too shady, they might take parts off my car, or steal my entire car.

Alright, so maybe I'll get the smog money, cash my check, pound out my dent, get an alignment for like 80 bucks for all 4 wheels, and try to pass smog. I'll have like a grand to spend on fixing the car, and I can worry about fixing the damage later on I guess. Maybe I'll try going to tijuana for them to fix the body damage though, but that might be too shady, they might take parts off my car, or steal my entire car.

Unless it's really out of spec don't worry about the alignment untill you fix all the suspension and stearing parts. #1 more then likely the aligment shop won't be able to get it in spec with severly warn parts. #2 when you do fix them you will just need another alinement. Unless it's really pulling or majorly wareing tires. A nice trick is to mark / measure the old parts then install the new parts to the same measurment and it will be about where the old part was alinement wise.