Audi S8 D2 (01-03)... hmmm...

Komeuppance

LOL... why the hate on Nissan?? The higher end models are much better than the econo boxes.

I haaaaaaaaate Honda's, just the design and concept of them is not appealing to me. But I've had experience with a lot of them to recommend to people that I don't want to do repairs for LOL. My sister bought an 05 Magnum (told her not to) within a year, trans failure. Told her to get a Honda... but she replaced it with an Audi A4... I laughed when asked for advice on the issues it had (forgot what they were, might have been helpful now lol), she had that for a few months after I told her to get rid of it and get a Honda. Then she bought a Chevy Impala 06 or something, didn't hear anything about that but I think the water pump was dying and overheating... she didn't ask me for advice on that, but suddenly some "spare" parts showed up in my mom's garage. She had that for almost a year before one day showing up with an 02 Accord... lol. Haven't heard anything about that... maybe it's actually not a junker and they finally listened to me after losing $$$... or they're tired of my criticism.

I've come to realize how boring Toyota/Lexus's are, I used to like them a lot... but have progressed from them.

Oh yeah, some X5's AND Range Rovers have the same ZF trans as the S8... you should definitely get one of those!! LOL...

-Robert

She just thinks Nissan products are ugly piles of cow patties. And Toyotas are boring cars but she's ok with some of those. She won't do Prius, not at all.

My mother in law has something in common with your sister, she won't listen. Since I met my wife I've been telling to dump the crappy American brands she insist on driving.

She put 3 trannies in Pontiac before deciding to dump it. Unfortunately, her brothers are/ were car sales gurlys for Ford and Checy. They take turns selling her garbage. She bought a new Malibu, dealer maintained it. Crapped out at 120k.

Intold her to buy a Honda. Her other brother sold her Ford Fusion. At 28k ut started having electrical gremlins that the dealer said "we've never heard of that." So she traded it in.... For a 2012 Ford Fusion!! I've towed it once already!!!

The only member from my wife's family who actually listened to me was her cousin, bought a Honda Accord. Her dad, Chevy sales guy was PO'd. Two years, she's had ZERO problems. Her sister , the dad stuck her with a Cobalt! lol, it's already been junked! Minor accident insurance said it was not worth fixing. Had it been a Toyota or Honda, it would have been fixed.

Edited by louswheel01

^^ True... my old dream.

E39 M5's are manual only, if she would agree to a manual... then it's Evo city lol. Just now I showed her a pic of an Evo, told her it was a stick, and she said "maybe". I think she just wanted me to leave her alone, she's watching Glee... lol.

Black cars in the models I want are hard to find, I should invest in a better paint booth setup and then it would be so easy...

-Robert

To me that sounds like maintenance issues that should be done most likely get put off because of cost. Then those issues turn into bigger problems. Personally I like vehicles like my 91 toyota pickup. Low miles so it's in perfect mechanical order. Drives nice and is clean on the inside. And wont cost me a dime for repairs for another 100k miles other than regular maintenance.

That is EXACTLY the perfect description. They cost $$ (more then the person was ever use to both in good fluids which are a must, and parts / labor) and the frequency seem to be sooner but only on ware items, and random electrical. The "smart" enginearing sometimes screws you over to. LIke the door modual contorls everything power in the car, 1 thing goes bad and nothing works since modual contorls all, including powering everything.

At 120k you should not need to have changed timing tensioners on a car 2X's over already, thats every 60K, waaaay too needy of a car if you ask me. Maintenance is just too much for what the cars are worth. That's the reason they depreciate so much so fast.

Yes the Audi is a beautiful car line, specially the late models. But the constant needing of maintenance just turns me personally off big time. I would recommend the GS350, they look good, pack a good punch and you will not need to be constantly fixing.

Yes I completely agree, it's a 3 fold problem.... 1 initial design, 2 the $ for good fluids and they do require them, parts preice to do it (PO does not do it) and 3 they are very inviting to drive spirited and do get warn. Just trying to paint a complete picture of what the person is in for. I see the guy down the street litterly working on one of the 4 they got nightly. And I know he's dumped thousands at a time into them. Do you really want to have to buy 2, 4, maybe 6 wideband O2 sensors at a crack to not have your computer freak out?

But in thinking about it in the grand scheem of things.... Lets say an older car, or my 76 harley..... how often am I in there adjusting valves... jacking with this or that, replacing this or that...... If you want to be the boss you got to pay the cost. Top Gear said it best when introducing the new Fiesta. They bring up a point about the German electronics going bad, and if your worried get the 100% stripped down model that has nothing on it, and you will never have to worry about things to break because there is nothing to break.

Edited by jszucs

To me that sounds like maintenance issues that should be done most likely get put off because of cost. Then those issues turn into bigger problems.

You's think so, but that's not always the case. You can't just buy cheap replacement parts for everything at AutoZone or the like. My Benz has a hydraulic ride leveler, and that system commonly goes out, yet there's not much preventative maint. that can be done to the system. When it goes out, the parts are around a grand to fix it just doing it yourself. In many cases, the jobs are pretty hard to do without the proper training and tools, which leads all but the most stubborn and talented shadetree mechanics to take there car to the shop, where that $1000 part can turn into $3000 parts and labor pretty quick. That $3000 job can turn into a $5000 job if the rest of the car wasn't maintained well.

It's like with any car, the dollar amount is just higher. Say you buy a well maintained SQ that happens to need a clutch... A few hundred later and some time it's handled. But what if that same car wasn't maintained? Then you'd be replacing the clutch, along with a lot of other little stuff that was never done. Now your parts bill may go from a few hundred, closer to a thousand.

Think of it in terms of SQ parts, but the parts are just more. Instead of paying less than $100 for a headgasket, they might cost $300. An O2 sensor that could be picked up at AotoZone for $30 for a SQ, might be dealer only and cost $100 or more for a Benz. Those are the sort of things you have to deal with when you get a high dollar German car. Luckily, I got about $3000 less into my Benz than what it's worth, and all the common stuff that breaks on them has been repalced on mine before I got it. If not, I would have gotten something else.

I will have to disagree with most and say Audi's are quite reliable. Issue is most people that buy them used don't keep up with the required and scheduled maintenance because parts and labor are expensive. Car is neglected and things start breaking down and the car is blamed rather than the owner. That being said I would agree for most people luxury cars should be leased only and for no longer than the warranty period. I leased a new A4 in 2006 and another new A4 Quattro in 2009. Never had any issues except the CVT transmission in the 06' was horrible. It has a 2 second delay from the time you press the gas pedal to the time it reacts.

If the car has a FSH, otherwise been well looked after and you are prepared to spend a little more than normal to maintain the car up to standard then go for it. I would bet any issues it has had in the past are fixed.

You already own one quirky car so I say why not add another to the Pantz family fleet? :D

Colin B)

IDK personally might be a bit more up front by why not a 5 series? Most are proven reliable in the long run, and your going to pay as much to fix + most of the guys have figured out good alternative parts sources, good fixes and you know what and when it's going to go bad.

Both of our black A6's have been pretty good cars.

2001 A6 2.7t/6spd manual - Sold with 80k on it, fun fast car.

2005 A6 4.2L quattro - currently 110k and still a fantastic car.

The AWD is hard to beat.....it'll run circles around any of my other AWD/4x4 vehicles all day long in the snow.

Turborusty

How about an 05 and up Legacy GT? It doesnt have the image and status of a german car, but mine is plenty luxurious (heated leather seats, sunroof, blah blah blah).. and lots of power too. Ive only had mine since march, but its been pretty good to me so far. Im replacing the valve cover gasket this weekend, but other than that I havent had any issues. Come up to Tacoma and take mine for a spin! haha

5 series, they're alright... but meh. Just not the same!! It'd have to be an M5 if I got one.

Im replacing the valve cover gasket this weekend.

Those are good lookin' cars, but that is one reason I will not own one... lol...

-Robert

Those are good lookin' cars, but that is one reason I will not own one... lol...

-Robert

LOL. Yeah Ive been putting it off since I bought the car. Im tired of the occasional smoke rolling out of the hood scoop at stoplights :rolleyes:

how bout one of these:

Subaru Legacy GT

How about an 05 and up Legacy GT? Im replacing the valve cover gasket this weekend

Gonna have to pass on the REALLY annoying to work on boxer/lawn mower sounding engine... lol...

-Robert

Oh....and any FWD Audi is not a special "sport option". It's the el-cheapo model.

Turborusty

hahha I was more or less poking fun of the crowd around me that buys them chips them and blows them up.... I know they are the lower end one's. But they are right, it's way less stress on the drive train.

5 series, they're alright... but meh. Just not the same!! It'd have to be an M5 if I got one.

-Robert

Check out horsepowerfreaks add on's... for the price diff between a 3 or m3 or 5 or m5 I would go the base and HPF add on's but that's just me...... Only thing to miss would be all the electronic goodies of the M3 like auto rev match, adjust suspension ect but that's only on the new one's anyways.

Gonna have to pass on the REALLY annoying to work on boxer/lawn mower sounding engine... lol...

-Robert

OMG about one of the only cars I have liked working on (besides the stupid 2.5 and it's issues) Love the 2.2's so easy to work on, everything has it's own place very easy to work on ECT. And they don't sound like a lawn mower, they sound like a small motor boat that the captins calls / cutouts are below the water level and it's bubbling the exaust out.