Thinking about buying a deuce and a half

yzrider

Can find them for like 3k running ready to go. Anyone Think im crazy? Look into them if you dont know what they are. Google search deuce and a half. Seems like would be a blast.

Me want! I'd slap a roll back on one of those and AAA stickers and see how much tow biz I bring in! :lol:

They diesel, I imagine the engine can't possibly be that big, maybe 7-8 MPG. Like a diesel service truck.

Edit: they come with a Cat 3116. My truck has a 3126. It's a better version than the 3116.

Edited by louswheel01

3rd Gen deuces came with the cat engines

2nd gems came with a multifuel diesel engine. Can run kerosene, veggie oil, gasoline, diesel, used motor oil, or even vodka. basically anything flammable. Supposed to be nearly 10 mpg as they sit. The second gems are also all 5 speed with a splitter effectively making them a 10 speed manual! 3rd gems are all auto. Lame.

3rd Gen deuces came with the cat engines

2nd gems came with a multifuel diesel engine. Can run kerosene, veggie oil, gasoline, diesel, used motor oil, or even vodka. basically anything flammable. Supposed to be nearly 10 mpg as they sit. The second gems are also all 5 speed with a splitter effectively making them a 10 speed manual! 3rd gems are all auto. Lame.

Oooohh, second gens sound like a grown childs dream!

3rd gen must have the Cat 3116 mated to an Allison 2400 series or greater auto trans. They're bullet proof. But yeah, lame, auto.

I would so buy one.... But I'd like to remain married. Wouldn't be able to explain that to wife. Well, maybe if I said I was turning it into a tow truck.

There is a bunch of them for sale on the internet with insane LOW miles of like 3K -9K! WOW! That's not even broken in yet! Not for a Cat engine at least.

Edited by louswheel01

You would be crazy not to. I have been drooling over one of these for awhile. The thought of the look on traffic and parkings face when they saw that thing sitting in the school parking lot would be priceless!!! Also they make awesome 4x4 when you bob the rear end and put a bed on them.

that could have turn'd so bad so quick it isn't funny ,,they are not boats ,what happens if you hit a soft bottom or a deep hole in the river

now you want fun take a tank and drive acorss a 15-20 ft deep river , thats some thing you will never forget .

Love that video, too bad these things have no business in southern california.

I don't know man, there are plenty of H1's rolling around. And have you seen those GMC 6500 trucks people are using as pick up trucks? They're commercial size vehicles, 4 doors and equiped with a truck bed.

My friend had a 1965 Unimog. Thing was awesome, slow but unbelievable off-road. 6 forward gears, 2 reverses, and had a throttle hand stick. It had custom made wheels with 38" Swampers. In 4-low you could just let your foot off the break and it would go. Climbed a couple of junk cars that way. I'll try and find a pic.

The thing I always thought was cool was how the 2nd gens will run on anything that's vaguely flammable, and they'll do it with minimal maintenance forever. And that it'll go over anything you want...like the guy who decided to drive the truck down the river instead of the boat. If I lived out in the country more, I'd so have one.

There is a guy in my little town that has a 2nd gen with the rear bobbed and a truck bed it's one of the coolest 4x4's i've ever been around... scarey to see it rolling down the road towards you. When i was looking at them the cost of replacing the tires turned me off pretty quick since most of the ones i was looking at had bad weather checked old tires on them and the tires are way spendy. I'de still love to have one some day though.

They are very cool to own and drive. People always looking at you when your riding in one. I have two friends that have three and they are almost unstoppable. We have taken it down in the lake and take them to the beach every year which is a 5hr trip. He runs on used motor oil and gear lube. He hardly ever pays to fill up. There is a forum called steel soilders that has everything you could ever what to know about them. Yea so with that being said i would by it.