Horrible noises...

hippynerd

It was difficult, but I was able to get the 86 out of the driveway, and the 83 in the driveway. Its been raining off and on all day, but I was able to get long enough periods that I was able to do it without getting soaking wet.

I have to get some help moving the bad block inside, and I have to get the engine ready for extraction, im getting better at yanking and stabbing motors, I guess thats worth something.

I dont have an engine stand, but I do have some 2 by 4s, and they work good enough. I may get an engine stand, its a lot easier that way.

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The engine is out of the 83, and the 86 is back in the driveway. I have to clean the motor up, and swap intake/fuel systems, then put it in the 86 and hook everything back up.

Its looking rainy today, so extra challenges are afoot.

Im a bit confused. This motor seems to be making the same noise. The block and head, flywheel and clutch are different, but the car still makes bad sounds :( It runs for a little while, then shuts off, if I rev it, it stays running sometimes, other times it may stall, and not start.

I should have done that each time, that way I would have something to reference each time.

I think this time the noise may not be exactly the same as previous times. The reason that I havnt is because I try to minimize running the motor when it makes that sound. Maybe I'll try to do that today.

I keep thinking that it must be the clutch fork or throwout bearing coming in contact with the clutch or something?

Yeah, and that was the good video! I hate running the engine at all.

Im pretty sure that this engine wasnt making that noise when it was in the 83. The throwout bearing was bought separate from the clutch, because the one I got had a used bearing. I also wonder if I bent the fork when I had the transmission mounted badly, the fork wouldnt move, and I wonder if maybe I bent it or something?

I will see if I can make a better video.

Should be obvious, maybe a member near you can help take a look, even if something is rubbing it should show some marks, as loud as that is.

See if you rocker arms are switched around IE intake on exhaust side and exhaust on intake side. Seen that make noise.

The problem is that two different engines make this noise. Like mentioned earlier, what noise is made when the clutch peddle is pushed down. Some history on the cars would be good too. Was the 83 a known good engine?

Edited by tsi_tom

I havnt tried with the clutch pedal in, Ive been starting it out of gear.

I havnt changed any rockers in years, so thats unlikely. The 83 wasnt running very often in the last few years because I keep pulling parts off of it, but I dont remember it ever making bad noises, just overheating easily.

I dont think I can type out the entire history of 2 30 year old cars.

I assumed that marks would be obvious, but the only marks I could find were on the pistons of the engine that i pulled out last week, that motor is still in the garage all torn apart making a huge mess. this motor was a quick solution that has only made things more complicated and difficult.

Friday, all my cars were tagged by the city, im behind on my registrations and they want to tow them away. my 83 is on the street with no motor in it, my 86 is in the drive way with a motor that is making horrible sounds, my truck wont start and run right and I havnt had time or money to work on it because I have spent all that on these 2 busted starions.

I gotta figure out how to keep the cars from getting towed while they are not drivable, which may mean putting the 86 on the street where I cant work on it, so I can get the 83 off the street so it wont get towed off.

If I was able to fix the cars, I wouldnt be having so much trouble, but right now I have a bunch of broke cars that are likely to get towed, and im not sure how to keep it from happening right now.

I havnt tried with the clutch pedal in, Ive been starting it out of gear.

I havnt changed any rockers in years, so thats unlikely. The 83 wasnt running very often in the last few years because I keep pulling parts off of it, but I dont remember it ever making bad noises, just overheating easily.

I dont think I can type out the entire history of 2 30 year old cars.

I assumed that marks would be obvious, but the only marks I could find were on the pistons of the engine that i pulled out last week, that motor is still in the garage all torn apart making a huge mess. this motor was a quick solution that has only made things more complicated and difficult.

Friday, all my cars were tagged by the city, im behind on my registrations and they want to tow them away. my 83 is on the street with no motor in it, my 86 is in the drive way with a motor that is making horrible sounds, my truck wont start and run right and I havnt had time or money to work on it because I have spent all that on these 2 busted starions.

I gotta figure out how to keep the cars from getting towed while they are not drivable, which may mean putting the 86 on the street where I cant work on it, so I can get the 83 off the street so it wont get towed off.

If I was able to fix the cars, I wouldnt be having so much trouble, but right now I have a bunch of broke cars that are likely to get towed, and im not sure how to keep it from happening right now.

All this s*** that went thru the engines but you never dissassembled the rockers?

Did you notice that the entire engine has been disassembled? What exactly is meant by entire engine rebuild, It seems it can mean just about anything.

Ok, which is it? Entire engine , but above you never took apart the rockers rockers.

This ENTIRE engine needs tore down measured/ cleaned/ and inspected and cause of noise found BEFORE it gets reassembled.

Dad

Yeah, I did take those rockers off, and cleaned the head (then I dropped that head and have to get it welded back...) But that head is in the garage, the head on this motor never came off, it stayed on the motor while it was transported from the 83 to the 86.

There are 2 different engines involved now, I gave up on the one engine that needed new pistons, and took the running motor out of the 83 to put in the 86, an I have horrible noises with this motor now.

The entire rebuild motor is the one thats in the garage with the scuffed pistons, and freshly ground crank, new bearings, new rings, freshy honed and cleaned block. The motor that is currently in the 86 was from a 84, and I rebuilt it many years ago. by rebuilt, I really just mean that I took it a part, and replaced all the seals, I didnt do any machining or measuring. I havent run that motor much becuse the car needed work, and I keep pulling parts off of that car to fix the 86, but before I pulled it out of the 83, it was running ok, not making horrible noises.

Grrr. this is very frustrating. I cant get the thing to start. I did get it to cough and fire a little bit, and while cranking it and using the clutch, It seems to go away when I push in the clutch. If I could get it to run, I could tell for sure, but I cant seem to get the thing to run right now.